RSS Feed Print
Muscle Weakness
Siouxz
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2020 9:26 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else's LO has experienced muscle weakness. My DW, for the past few days, has needed a walker, she has no balance, no strength. And, as an aside, she is sleeping a lot! She fell asleep while she was eating and when she was on the toilet. 

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts anyone might have. 

Thanks.

Jeff86
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2020 12:04 AM

We are in almost exactly the same place.  My DW is finding walking difficult, and stairs especially a challenge.  She sleeps 13-15 hours overnight, and at least a couple of hours during the day as well.
Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2020 6:51 AM

My wife had symptoms like that. Her problem was a UTI, and she spent 3 days in the hospital. When the infection was cleared up, the symptoms ceased. It's probably worth asking for a UTI test, done with a culture. If it is a UTI, the sooner it is treated, the better.
Rescue mom
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2020 10:33 AM

I think a lot of that is the disease. It’s amazing how fast they can lose muscle strength after being mostly inactive, and many PWDs tend to get less and less active. And you said she sleeps a lot, also common with dementia patients. But muscle strength goes away really fast unless they are willing to, or made to, work at it.

It could still be something else. Just saying.