RSS Feed Print
questions to ask when looking for home health agencies
newbloomer
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 9:43 AM

I know I have seen it on here but cannot find in the archives. anyone to help me
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 10:37 AM

You are right. There is a great post about the questions to ask. I have never been able to find anything in the archives.

One thing you can do to eliminate facilities is to ask via telephone what the training program is. You want trained staff !  The training should be for new staff as well as ongoing and you should be able to look the program up online. Do not settle for "oh, our staff is well trained" or "we have our own program".

Another thing you can do is to look at a copy of their license application which will list in black and white the services they provide.

aod326
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 9:56 PM

I can't help with the archive either, sorry. To add on to jfkoc's comment, I would add, ask whether they have aides with experience in dementia. 

Good luck.

Victoria2020
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 5:28 AM

https://www.alz.org/media/documents/alzheimers-dementia-choosing-in-home-provider-ts.pdf

Even if they say we order criminal background and driving records, make them give you the dates of the last one for that person in their file before you interview them . The office staff maybe so eager for a placement bonus they skip that step.

newbloomer
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 8:06 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of the criminal record.  I am also looking online for other suggestions. I always come here and learn by reading everyone's experiences. Little leary about having someone come in home with the covid thing but need the respite time, even a little bit.