RSS Feed Print
Light After the End
Army_Vet60
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2021 6:49 AM

I'm now in year two of recovering from the death of my wife.

Changes in my outlook are taking hold. I have accepted we are separated while I am alive.

I have grieved and will grieve more, but I want to start celebrating her and not just mourn her.

So, I've been looking at our time together and trying to figure out how we wound up together.

Here's how I look at Sandy and me, and why it's important to keep living and not give up.

THE YIN AND THE YANG

I am the yin and you are the yang;

You are the light that shone on my dark.

The world is a cliff and I hung from a branch;

You leaned into nothing and offered your hand.

I grabbed on and you pulled me up;

Only to show you a damaged past.

I warned you not to enter my dark

But you wouldn’t let go of my hand.

You are the Right and I am the Left

Somehow we met in between.

For thirteen years we danced on a stage

That bound Yin and Yang for eternity.

You are the Waltz and I am the Swing

Two rhythms that somehow combined;

Yin and Yang, a magnetic attraction,

Bound till the end of Time. 

ChrisBme
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 9:33 PM

I think we can all relate to this and some day I hope that I will be able to get where you are in my new journey! Thank you!
Army_Vet60
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 7:23 AM

ChrisBme wrote:
I think we can all relate to this and some day I hope that I will be able to get where you are in my new journey! Thank you!

Hi, thank you for the feedback on what I wrote.

I do hope anyone here who has lost someone can relate to where I am concerning the stages of grief. 

The final stage is coming to Acceptance.  

I hope to hear from others on here.  Especially those who are finding their own path to acceptance.

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 3:49 PM

I am envious of your poetry, Army_Vet. I  have never developed the ability to write in what I term " free verse. " If I can't rhyme it, it doesn't get written.

Anyway, thanks for writing what clearly comes out of your soul. It's a pleasure to read.

I keep thinking that I am close to acceptance, but then at bedtime, when I talk to Mr. Butterbear over on Barbara's side of the bed, I wonder. A long time ago, I wrote a poem for a friend, and although I have long since forgotten most of it, the refrain is still in my mind. It says that up is still a long way down. I wonder if I too, have a lot more down to travel before I can truly say that my life is going up.

We will see. On a side note, I have developed a nice friendship with the man who came in once a week to watch Barbara while I went shopping. He's the one who has inspired me to start really cooking again.

I'm glad to say that down here in the basement ( Musings ) still feels like home even after my caregiving duties have ended.

By the way, Army_Vet, that is a beautiful pic of your Sandy !

Army_Vet60
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2021 9:03 PM

chrisp1653 wrote:

I keep thinking that I am close to acceptance, but then at bedtime, when I talk to Mr. Butterbear over on Barbara's side of the bed, I wonder. 

Is Mr. Butterbear Barbara's bear? I think it's a very healthy way to honor your wife.

I say this because after Sandy died, I was cleaning out her closets and came across a bunch of stuffed animals. One of them caught my eye because it was looking at me and in its eye I felt it saying "You don't want to get rid of me. Keep me with you."

I call it Little Bear and I talk to it every day to communicate with Sandy.

I'm attaching a photo of it.

Thank you for the compliment about my writing. Being a writer was my ambition in the 80s. I was very happy getting several poems published before joining the military.

Also, thank you for complimenting my wife. That photo was taken of her on our honeymoon to the Bahamas. We stepped of the cruise liner and had someone take our photo on the dock. 
I'm on her right with my arm around her.

File Attachment(s):
bear(1).jpg (27452 bytes)