RSS Feed Print
how do you learn all over???
hopeful30
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 2:07 PM

ive had trouble for the past few months in that ive forgotten how to do things ive done forever. awhile i "forgot" how to shop including making a list, it was as if i had never done it before it happened Christmas when my grandaughter had to "show" me how to decorate. i cant figure out the simplest things and its so frustrating and scarey!! has this happened to you guys and how do you cope?? i cant learn "new" things so how do i do all the old stuff when i cant remember??? i wouldnt wish this disease on anyone and truly hope they find a breakthrough for future generations (like our grandchildren)! i can use suggestions on how to maybe do it diferently? i write everything down now and even that doesnt always work if i lose the paper i wrote it on!!!
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 7:15 PM

Hi Hopeful,

Don't you have a social worker that visits? This is something you and she can work on together.

Do you panic when you realize you forgot how to do something? Probably. If so, you have to step away from the situation and relax. Hopefully, your brain will continue working on the problem and it will begin coming back.

This won't work with everything, but it's worth a try.

younghope
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 7:51 PM

First, it is very frightening forgetting things we use to take for granted, BUT, YOU CAN learn old things over and even learn new things for a time. The answer is REPITITION. I may not be able to spell, but one thing I haven't given up on is life and neither should you. I have my times of trials I will admit, but I learn how to adapt and move forward. You can too.

Tracy

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 10:03 PM

What helps me remember is to have a daily morning routine.  At first I had to write every step down in my 3-ring binder, but now I can remember what I need to do every morning.  Sometimes I forget, but I just stop and think to myself, "Now, what comes next?"  Then it comes to me. 

I'm in the process of re-ordering my life.  I want everything in my life to be comfortable for me.  I don't want complications. 

Iris L. 

Wags4
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:02 PM

Oh, hopeful, this disease stinks.

I tried to copy Younghope's post, but boy, boy did it come out weird.  Anyway, I wanted to agree with her.  I think repetition can help AD or VaD patients learn some things.  If I remember accurately, that is the basis behind spaced retrieval therapy. But, the key is consistency...consistency in practice and consistency in routine.

Granted, I have no scientific evidence of this.  Just my experience in watching my dad learn how to use a slideboard, for example.  That was a time-consuming process, but he eventually did learn that new skill.

hopeful30
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:27 PM

Mimi Hi!! good to talk to you again(its Lorene in case you didnt read my topic "hopeful30 is Lorene") i dont panic, i just get confused and a little scared wondering what i will forget how to do next. can i learn the old stuff, but in a different way or are you saying i can re-learn??? its confusing to me and my biggest thing is that i am doing everything "by the book" so to speak that if anything changes i get very confused and my brain is sort of scrambled. am i making sense?? i am on a strict routine from the time i get up til i go to bed, but if all of a sudden i cant do something normally perfectly ordinary, i kind of get off track if you know what i mean. i may forget a pill or forget to do something else in my routine. BOY this disease sure can be complicated sometimes!!!
hopeful30
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:32 PM

Iris, i love what you said about"reordering" your life. what a concept and thanks to the others for their input, its so appreciated i guess we all have issues to get through.we help each other and believe me, all the help is so wonderful!!! thanks tracy and Wags!!!
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:20 PM

Lorene, it's good that you try to follow a daily routine.  But try to relax and have fun with it.  You sound very anxious.  The more stressed we are, the worse our memory and functioning becomes.  We have to learn to "go with the flow", so to speak, but still get things done.

Iris L.

hopeful30
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:33 PM

iris, i think i sound more anxious because i see the surgeon on wednesday and the closer my surgery gets the more i realize how out of control and dependent i will have to be, plus being away from my "safety" zone for many weeks. i am usually pretty laid back, but this has me more than a little worried, but im sure the nurses and rehab people will be great!
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 3:27 PM

Lorene, having surgery and being away from home are disorienting.  There should be people at the hospital to help you handle all of that.  Discuss this with the surgeon.  Ask for a counselor or social worker.  That is part of your therapy. You also need good preparation for your after-care once you leave rehab.

Iris L.