RSS Feed Print
Has anyone taken a Mature Driver course or did they just give up driving?
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:06 AM

I took an eight-hour Mature Driving course a few years ago.  It really gave me some pointers to observe about my driving.  I plan to continue taking these courses as long as it is helpful to me.

What has been your experience?

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:22 AM

Hi Iris, if one is still driving, they can be worth a five percent cut from your premium.

The first one was very helpful. After that it's been same old, same old.

RussB
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 11:23 AM

If you have AD you should give up the keys to the car. Don't worry, the world will continue to turn when you stop driving. The risk of driving far outweighs any benefit you may imagine.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:28 PM

Russ, I see from you profile that you are an Early Stage Advisor for the AA.  Would you say the decision to stop driving depends upon the stage of AD?  What about for VasD? 

My dx is cognitive impairment nos.  Can you tell me if patients with my diagnosis can participate in AA patient support groups in your area?  Thank you.

Iris L. 

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:44 PM

I recently took the AAA drivers test for mature drivers at this link:

http://seniordriving.aaa.com/widgets/roadwise-review.php, You can have it scored online and send it to whomever you want. It was a bit tough but I passed.

I am also going to take the drivers course through my OT therapist. which includes behind the wheel. This information will only be shared with me and my GP.

i would encourage anyone with our varing memory changes to take the online  AAA TEST-even if it just a wsy to keep us on our toes= getting a discount in a insurance would be a nice perk,

If anyone takes this test I 'd love to hear how you score in all the areas