RSS Feed Print
My latest Nero Psych Testing
ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:09 PM

Hi All sorry to have been away so long. I was on a two month vacation with mu hubby and then got caught up in some family drama.

I had my second round of Nero Psych testing April 4th and 11th and got the report on Monday, It appears I have improved in all categories. Some like visual spatial had only a 5% increase from 1% to 5% and some had bigger improvements like memory from 20% to 50%. All are still below "normal" and when I asked her what she would say I have and she said she hates to label anything.

I told her she needed to for my sake as well as the other Dr.'s. She said she had to get the written report done and compile all the raw data scores -this will take about a week. She did say it was not dememtia but most likely MCI with some improvement.

I left the office feeling pretty good until I got on a Alzheimers teleconferecne yesterday and the speaker from the University of Mass. Said that MCI is really just another way of saying Pre Alzheimers and in 6-7 years it will be full blown Az.

Well, this took the wind out of my sails pretty darn fast....Now you all caught up with me....what is new with all of you?

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:41 PM

ffwife54@yahoo.com wrote:

She did say it was not dememtia but most likely MCI with some improvement.

I left the office feeling pretty good until I got on a Alzheimers teleconferecne yesterday and the speaker from the University of Mass. Said that MCI is really just another way of saying Pre Alzheimers and in 6-7 years it will be full blown Az.

Well, this took the wind out of my sails pretty darn fast....

What did you hear from the Mayo Clinic?
ffwife, I had repeat neuropsych testing done this winter also.  My tests some some improvement but more decline, but not to the level of Alzheimer's. She said she would have expected more decline over the past three years. 
Mimi and others discussed this because the rate of decline is variable.  What we on this board are trying to accomplish by following Best Practices is to slow the rate of decline.
Some researchers might disagree but they really don't know because they are not working with people like us.  They are working with people who are further along in their disease before they begin medication and other changes.
The studies have not changed.  Some people with MCI will improve, some will remain the same, and some will progress into Alzheimer's or other dementia.
These are statistical studies.  What does this mean for the individual patient?  Do everything you can to REDUCE RISK FACTORS!  This means treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol, atrial fibrillation, diabetes.  Reduce unnecessary medications.  Avoid head trauma.  Reduce alcohol consumption. 
Improve nutrition.  Increase exercise.  Lower stress in your life.  Make the necessary legal and financial preparations.  Make your final wishes known.  In other words, get your ducks in order.  Then go live your life!
Iris L.

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:26 PM

Dear FFwife,

Glad to hear you are doing ok.

Please, understand the MCI can take different courses.  Some people with MCI will improve and go back to normal.  Some people with MCI will remain the same.  Some people with MCI will develop Alzheimer's (that's a low percentage).

Please, try not to fret.  Enjoy your life!!

Please, come here as often as you like.  We're here.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:48 PM

god that is depressing,,,,,,,get your afairs in order, i was also told to hope for the best, plan for the worst, And why MCI is just another way of saying Pre Alz
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:48 PM

FFWife:

Please: We are trying to tell you that either you misinterpreted what was said, or the speaker was in error.

A certain percentage of MCI patients do progress to dementia.

And another certain percentage do not.

If you scores in memory went from 30 to 50%, that is incredible. None declined?  Rejoice. 

Yes, get your paper work in order. Everyone should!

Follow the Best Practices.

Do you best to maintain a positive mental attitude.

Enjoy life!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:00 PM

ffwife54@yahoo.com wrote:
 that is depressing,,,,,,,

I thought I was being inspirational...Oh, well... 

ffwife,  Depression can cause pseudodementia.  Did your neuropsych mention pseudodementia to you?   

Iris L.   

younghope1
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:33 AM

No reason to be discouraged, you said there was improvement. That is GREAT NEWS!!! News that many of us would love to hear. You have to take on the attitude of, NOT GONNA LET THIS THING BEAT ME! Live in the moment, laugh, cry, play and most of all be thankful.......things could be worse.

Tracy

Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:42 AM

Dear FFwife,

I think you are not hearing what we are saying.

A very small percentage of MCI patients develop AD!

It seems you are in that percentile that improves!!! Yea!  Be Happy.  This is great news!

Peace and Hope,

Lisa