RSS Feed Print
waiting for results
Willow
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:54 AM

Wow!  Was that neuropsych testing a challenge or what?!  I was so worn out by the time I got home I just wanted to rest my brain and not think of anything at all!    

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for the results which the neuro said he'd be sending to my pcp and he would discuss it with me.  He said if I had any questions or concerns to call him and gave me his card.

I'm trying not to think of it too much but it's hard not to have it on my mind.  I just want to know!!!!!

Meanwhile, I got the book the library sent for that y'all recommend about the Alz Action Plan and it's really good!  I don't know why I waited so long to get it.  Fear I guess.  But it helps me to be more knowledgeable about it all and that's what I want.  Thanks so much for the recommendation!    

I haven't been posting lately but I'm still lurking in the shadows and reading the posts and thinking of y'all! 

Yes, I know I'm from Vermont but I lived down south for a decade and picked up some of the phrases, one being y'all!!!     LoL 

Lisa428
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:08 AM

Willow,

Congrats on finishing your neuropsych testing.  It is a bear!!  I tested for two days and was so exhausted I had to sleep!

Glad you got the book.  It should really help you.

Keep hanging in there.  We're here if you need us.

Peace and hope,

Lisa

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:17 PM

Wishing you great results!
Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:15 PM

Willow,

Just checking on you to see how you are?

Hope you are doing well.

What's up?

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:50 PM

Willow, Are you willing to share with us before you get the results your feelings about individual tests?

Which ones did you feel good about? 

It would not be uncommon on some and have no idea of what you were being asked on some others.  (Me on one particular test from the first time. That test was never used again. )  (And again me when they show me a picture, then take it away , show another and ask what's the same and different. I can usually get a few right. But mostly, the first picture is gone from my mind as soon as it's turned over.

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:51 PM

PS, I've recently had some early stage, early onset people say that using their brains hard makes them exhausted!
nomemo
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:51 PM

mimi - that is for sure!  when i have my counseling, cognitive therapy or try to follow conversation involving more than 2 people, i usually get a terrible headache and am totally exhausted!  i then have to treat it like a migraine.
Willow
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 4:40 AM

Thanks to all of you for responding!  I'm still waiting for the results.  I called yesterday to see if they were in as it's been well over a week now and the neuro said it would be a week.  The nurse said she'll call and see where it's all at so I guess I'll call Monday and find out.

I was doing really good with the wait until yesterday.  I ate chocolate during the morning and drank tequila (I don't usually drink) in the afternoon.  I'm assuming it will come out that I have Alz but if it doesn't then I have to figure out what to do. 

Also if I'm not far gone enough they might want to retest in a year.  But meanwhile if it's not then something is still wrong and should be checked out.  It gives me a headache... 

I guess I just want to know and get on with it.  The only thing I'm not doing is taking the meds which I don't have at this point.  But I've been following the Best Practices my whole adult life so it seems the meds are the only thing I can add.

I think the testing that I found the hardest was where you have the colored blocks and have to make them look like the one on the paper.  Also there were some kind of blocks on a paper that I had to match or something and I know I got to a point where I said to her 'I don't really have a clue, I'm just winging it.'

Oh, and the drawing.  What I saw and what I drew were fine at first then as they got more complicated ' forget it'.  It was just too much for my brain to comprehend and remember.

On the stories that they told and I had to tell it back I remembered the jist of the story but not a lot of details but then it's possible that might be normal for me.

I'm so grateful for your support!  It can be a lonely time when you're just waiting like this.  I try to keep my attitude of gratitude and it sustains me pretty well but on occasion I just feel low.

Thanks so much for caring!  

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 10:42 AM

The waiting is hard, isn't it, Willow?  I had to wait eight weeks before I was told my results by the neuropsychologist. 

I had trouble with the same tests you had trouble with. 

It's good that you're keeping a positive attitude.  It really helps. 

And remember, no matter what your test results, we all will be here for you! 

Iris L. 

RebeccaJ
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 4:23 PM

Willow,

So true. A little Lumosity and I must have QUIET for an hour or my confusion continues for the rest of the day. It is difficult to know the brain exercises are good for you, yet the after affect is mental exhaustion and mental exhaustion includes physical exhaustion, too.

I avoid conversations because they are so difficult to keep up with.

I remember the pictures that I looked at and had to re-draw. That was a waste of time because I could only get half the picture.

Another hard test had to do with sorting numbers in a list on a page. The immediate confusion was so great I screamed and held my forehead. She discontinues that test quickly. Frontal lobe freakout!

The results will help you so much. You will be able to get on with so much mor of your life.

Hoping for good results,

Rebecca.

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 7:08 PM

Hi Willow,

Your test sounds par for many of us on these boards. You'll learn soon enough.

Meanwhile, go for walks. 

Your comment about not having conversations bothers me. Yes, a large group also bothers me. So you have to begin with talking with just one person in a quiet place and work your way up.  Socialization is a very important factor in managing your dementia, if that's what it turns out to be.

Do stay in touch!

Lisa428
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 11:01 AM

Willow,

Thinking of you.

Take care.  Hang in there!

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Lost Cajun
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:20 PM

Willow, I know what you are going through. 

Lisa428, My first round of neuropsych testing also took two days.  I had a headache at the end of each day.  I am also familiar with mental exhaustion.  Lumosity and sometimes a lot of reading does this to me as well.  All I want to do is lean back and shut my eyes for a while when this occurs.