RSS Feed Print
Saying Goodbye
lesa
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 3:30 PM

Last weekend we took my husbands ashes out to the ocean for a sea ceremony.  It was the perfect way to say goodbye.  We had a bio-degradable urn that floated then sank. There was a lone seagull that circled the boat then headed out to sea. A sort of fly-by for my husband.  I miss him and pray every day for God to give me the strength I need to go on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_G5FY_Ma4&feature=share

KML
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 4:05 PM

Lesa:

Thank you for sharing this with us.  My eyes are welling up.  This is a beautiful tribute to your husband.    The best anything anyone can do for another is to love them, and to let them know they are loved and you clearly have done this.  Thank you for letting us have a glimpse of your beautiful family and for your openness and kindness to us.  Bless you and your family, your love and compassion will carry you through.

cowboys
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:09 PM

and this is how it is done...so so beautiful. Thank you so very much for sharing this burial at sea with us. This is exactly what my DH and I will be doing. When I saw that boat going down the channel, it just gave me peace. I love the water. I live 10 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico in St Petersburg, FL. The scenery was all so familiar to me. Beautiful, just beautiful. I love the last song and the runway scene. All of it just perfect. I hope it was a blessing to you and your children.

Thank you again and I pray you live near that beautiful water, it is very healing. I am in the grieving process also. Nature is like a balm...

If you don't mind sharing what that last song is...I find it very comforting. I will be praying for you and yours.

lesa
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 6:01 PM

This last song is "Now we are free" from the movie The Gladiator. A favorite movie of both my husband and son that they watched together often. I'm afraid I'm land locked in north Texas but I knew I had to take him back to Miami where he grew up.  I love your part of the Florida coast and the Gulf as I grew up on the other side near Galveston. I have the longitude and latitude so I will end up there with my husband when the time comes. Somehow that is so reassuring.
farawaydaughter
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 8:25 PM

lesa, thank you for sharing that beautiful clip. My eyes welled up the entire time. A wonderful tribute to your husband. May you find peace and comfort in the days ahead, but I know it will be a long road. My deepest condolences to you and your children. He had a very full life and I am so sorry this disease took him too soon.

I can't imagine losing a spouse at such a young age. You have my heartfelt sympathy for all you both went through, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Farawaydaughter

dayn2nite
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 11:38 PM

What a beautiful tribute to your husband.  I hate this disease so much.  Hopefully some of the good memories will start to come back soon and the difficult ones will fade into the background. 

MLB61
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:26 AM

Simply beautiful!  Thank you for sharing that.  Looks like a life well lived with lots of love.  My sincere condolences on your loss.
Still Waters
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:54 AM

Creative, thoughtful and inspirational.

Marjk
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:43 PM

Thank you so much for sharing.  I went through quite a few tissues while watching the video.  Your family is beautiful.  Looking at the photos over the years with the kids, you can tell how much he really loved them.  I bet he was a really loving and devoted father and husband.
nessa
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:16 AM

Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where pilots can go, when they have to die-
A place where a guy can go and buy a cold beer
For a friend and comrade, whose memory is dear;
A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
Nor management type would ere be caught dead;
Just a quaint little place, kinda dark and full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke;
The kind of place where a lady could go
And feel safe and protected, by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low,
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And the songs about flying and dying are sung,
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd flown west before.
And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door;
Who would buy you a drink if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And then through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he taught you how to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased that you're here.
"For this is the place where true flyers come,
"When the journey is over, and the war has been won
"They've come here to at last to be safe and alone
From the government clerk and the management clone,
"Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise
Where the hours are happy, and these good ol'boys
"Can relax with a cool one, and a well-deserved rest;
"This is Heaven, my son -- you've passed your last test!"

Author: Capt. Michael J. Larkin 
Dedicated to: Capt. E. Hamilton Lee

cowboys
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 8:32 AM

LESA, JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU AGAIN HOW WONDERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL AND PEACEFUL YOUR GOODBYE WAS. I HAVE WATCHED SEVERAL TIMES AND IT GIVES ME COMFORT. I GUESS ITS THE WATER AND THE SURROUNDINGS, THEY LOOK SO MUCH LIKE MY HOME AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MY DH AND I WANT.

I FINALLY HAD THE CHANCE TO SHOW MY DH AND HE CRIED. HE SAID "THAT IS WHAT I WANT WHEN I GO"

YOUR HUSBAND WAS BLESSED TO HAVE YOU AND YOUR KIDS. TAKE CARE

lesa
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:13 PM

Thanks everyone for watching our "goodbye video"  I just wanted everyone to know that my husband was so much more than what this disease had done to him.  It just made more sense to give him to the ocean than to confine him to the earth.  And Cowboy, I know you commented on your Dad's blue eyes on another thread and that is one of the things I miss about my John.  I always told him that he still had those beautiful  blue eyes that no crazy disease could take away.
Waiting for a cure
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:00 PM

Lesa, I've been and am out of town with a poor connection.  I finally got to watch your video.  Thank you so much for sharing it.  I feel like I've "met" him. 

I teared up as I watched your tribute and thanked God for the years of family time you had together.  I'm so sorry it was cut short by this awful disease. 

dayn2nite
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:58 PM

lesa wrote:
Thanks everyone for watching our "goodbye video"  I just wanted everyone to know that my husband was so much more than what this disease had done to him.  It just made more sense to give him to the ocean than to confine him to the earth.  And Cowboy, I know you commented on your Dad's blue eyes on another thread and that is one of the things I miss about my John.  I always told him that he still had those beautiful  blue eyes that no crazy disease could take away.

Your video shows what a great dad, husband and friend he was.  I saw a man who enjoyed his work and his family thoroughly. 

My mom also had the most beautiful blue eyes.  Even after she couldn't talk anymore, when I would ask her if we could trade eyes (mine are brown) she would laugh.  A couple of weeks prior to her death I was saying goodbye one night and she put her hand up, took my glasses off and just stared and stared at my face.  And I stared into her blue eyes.  I'll never forget them.

I've watched your video a few times too, I think it's a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man.