RSS Feed Print
My family is going to honor my Mom with her favorite past time!!
Oceanbum
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 10:29 AM

I talked to my sister-in-law last night. We have decided to honor my Mom with her favorite past time - baseball!! She LOVED the Cincinnati Reds her whole life!! She listened to them on the radio with her Grandpa when she was a girl. So she was a lifelong fan. We even incorporated her love of the Reds into her funeral. We sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". I placed a Cincinnati Reds pennant I had gotten her and my brother placed a Cincinnati Reds hat in the casket with her. And then at the cemetery I mentioned I was going to wear a Cincinnati Reds hat. The news spread like wildfire. It was a sea of Cincinnati Reds - hats, jackets, jerseys!! She would have loved it. All of the pallbearers were wearing Cincinnati Reds hats. It was priceless. Exactly as she would have wanted it. Well, anyways we have decided to go as a family to a Reds game on Sept. 23. There will be me, my Dad, my 3 brothers and all of our families. It could be as many as 30!! All there to honor Mom!! She would be so happy!! I know she will be there in spirit with us - I just wish she could BE there with us!!
KML
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 10:58 AM

Oceanbum:

That is so wonderful and so special.  I'm an SF Giants fan, but on that date, I will be rooting for the Reds and your mom.  Love it.  When they hit a home run, think of that as your mom.

Marjk
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 3:02 PM

That is wonderful!  I personally am a Mets fan.  My mother hated all sports!
farawaydaughter
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 8:45 PM

I hope you all have a great time!! A wonderful way to honor your mom, she would be proud of you all, and happy that you are doing a FUN thing in her memory. That is a great way to celebrate a persons life.
Waiting for a cure
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 10:15 PM

Such a wonderful way to honor your mom!  Count me in as a Reds fan that day too!  I can imagine....a home run, the crowd cheers, and your mom, now free, is cheering too.
dayn2nite
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:30 PM

I think that's wonderful!

My mom loved basketball, specifically the Detroit Pistons.  I have season tickets, and tried to go to a game last year after she died, but I ended up leaving at halftime.

Season is starting again soon.  I'm attaching a picture of my mother, right after she was diagnosed, sitting in The Palace of Auburn Hills at a game. 

File Attachment(s):
mom-1.jpg (37529 bytes)

KML
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:17 AM

dayn2nite:

Your mom is beautiful, what a wonderful smile.  Thank you for sharing her picture.

Oceanbum
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 1:32 PM

dayn2nite,

What a beautiful picture!!

Me, my hubby & our 2 girls went to a Reds game the day after Mom's funeral. Maybe not the best day to go. But we had been scheduled to go on vacation and had cancelled due to the circumstances. So we had the rest of the week off and decided to take a few days away. We went to a Reds game and then took the girls to Great Wolf Lodge to swim. So anyways, at the Reds game I cried during the national anthem and then bawled like a baby all the way thru "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". People around us probably thought I was insane!!

dayn2nite
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 10:31 PM

Awww, thank you guys.  I think it was one of the happiest days she had after the diagnosis - I had bought special tickets and we were only 10 rows from the court.
Oceanbum
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:31 AM

Well, I guess we are going to postpone the game until spring. We have decided that my Dad just isn't ready emotionally to go. We are afraid that being at the stadium and hearing them sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" so soon will be just too much for him. His emotions are still too "raw". We will give it more time and go in the spring. Maybe by then he will have more time to heal and will be ready.
farawaydaughter
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:01 AM

That sounds like a plan. Grief is tough and especially for the spouse. I hope you can continue to support him and support yourself in your grief.

My dad, who had a deadly disease that was diagnosed in Feb. of this year, stayed strong, until mom passed and then he just gave up, after I came home. None of us knew how bad he was, sis the doc included, or how hard he fought to "not leave mom alone".

Would you all go without dad, if you don't tell him you are going?

I know it is important to all of you.

This is a grief your father may never truly recover from.

I never saw my dad cry about mom, but I saw him reach for her in the bed after she was gone, it was heartbreaking to see. How I wish he would have shown her this deep love he had, in real life.

dayn2nite
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:33 PM

Oceanbum, that's probably a good idea.  The first game I tried going to I remember during the national anthem I was just looking around the arena with tears in my eyes and until halftime I just was on the edge of crying.
Waiting for a cure
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:07 PM

Oceanbum, that's so thoughtful of your family.   You're very loving about your dad's needs.