RSS Feed Print
ferulic acid and dementia
Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:43 PM

Lisa3 has posted about ferulic acid and Alzheimer's disease on the clinical trials forum along with some dosing information.  She is not promoting it and I am not either, but there is a very interesting study about ferulic acid and Frontotemporal Lobe dementia and dementia with Lewy Bodies.  I am not sure if the participants were on any other medications at the time which may affect the results.  This is the first time I have seen a compound that might be effective in the treatment of all the major forms of dementia.  It does not appear to have major side effects, although there are not many studies in this regard.  Hopefully, it will be as effective as the early research indicates it might be. 

Effect of ferulic acid and Angelica archangelica extract on behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and dementia with Lewy bodies

1. Takemi Kimura1,*,  
  2. Hideki Hayashida2,  
  3. Masako Murata1,  
  4. Junichi Takamatsu1 

Results:  Treatment with Feru-guard led to decreased scores on the Neuropsychiatric Inventory in 19 of 20 patients and significantly decreased the score overall. The treatment also led to significantly reduced subscale scores on the Neuropsychiatric Inventory(“delusions”, “hallucinations”, “agitation/aggression”, “anxiety”, “apathy/indifference”, “irritability/lability” and “aberrant behavior”). There were no adverse effects or significant changes in physical findings or laboratory data.

Conclusion:  Feru-guard may be effective and valuable for treating the behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and dementia with Lewy bodies. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2011; 11: 309–314. 

mish
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 8:38 AM

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and help.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 10:06 AM

You are welcome, Mish.  I have spent most of the last eight years studying Alzheimer's disease because that is what my mother had.  I got frustrated, though, because some of the things that seemed to help people with Alzheimer's disease did not seem to help people with some other forms of dementia (aromatherapy, for instance).  So when Lisa3 posted on ferulic acid, I started to look for what effect it might have not only on Alzheimer's disease but on other forms of dementia, and so far I am excited that it seems to be beneficial no matter what the form of dementia is.