RSS Feed Print
Wishing you all blessings and new hope this spring
dj okay
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:35 PM

Spring is still a few days away, but I feel a freshness in the air.  Maybe since I was born on the first day of spring I love this time of year even more.  Spring always reminds me of the renewal of life as the earth wakes up again after a long winter's sleep.  It also reminds me of the promise of eternal life we celebrate in a few week's, for those of the Christian faith.

This will be my first spring, and my first birthday, without my mother, the one who gave me life.  There's an intense sadness in that thought, but as the sun tries valiantly to fight through the clouds today, so my faith fights to bring new hope to my heart.

May the promise of new life bring you hope as you mourn your loved ones.

farawaydaughter
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:07 PM

Thanks dj. I am coming up on 8 months for both my parents, time (eventually) does fly.

Spring makes me think of mom. She was an avid gardener, everything grew and thrived with her green thumb. Her bday is April 7, sometimes it was on the same day as Easter I think. But yes, Spring and Easter is Mom's time.

Since I live faraway, the cemetery was kind enough to give me info. about a person who has a business there called Memory Minders. What she does is place flowers (or anything) when you want ie bdays, etc. and she can plant for the summer and tend to the graves, she can do just about anything for you, for a nominal fee.

So she will put a bday card on my Dads marker (March 18 ) that I sent her (laminated closed for snoopy sis, and the weather) and Dad always said he "just wanted a card" for his bday, so he will get one, and a small piece of chocolate, he loved my chocolates I made for him.

For mom she will place the silk flowers I am sending and a card for her bday. Silk because I well know it can still snow on her bday and fresh would die.

So I get to continue "giving" to them. The gal also takes a photo of your gift, so you know it was done. Pretty nice all n all.

I see/hear mom a lot in nature and dreams. Dad has been very silent, I wish I knew why........they are always on my mind, but the grief, shock, has lessened a lot. I guess I am over the hump of the worst of it, and looking back, I don't know how I did 2 funerals in 3 days. Hell of an exit dad did..........

Thanks again. Farawaydaughter

dayn2nite
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:37 PM

Thank you!  I am quickly coming up on the 1-year mark and I'm so stressed, but of course I know I'll survive.

I think I'm going to bring an angel statue or a similar decorative yard item to the NH in memory of my mom.  There is a big porch and lots of land and the maintenance staff always likes to get some new things to put out.
Oceanbum
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 9:08 AM

I've always loved spring. It's like a new beginning for everything.

My b'day is April 6 and it's been on Easter a couple of times. When I was 6 and 16. Odd with all the 6s!

My Mom has been gone nearly 9 months. This will be my first spring without her, my first b'day without her, my first Mother's Day without her. I'm not looking forward to any of them. I would like to find an angel holding a little girl for her grave. That would represent our relationship. She was always my protector. I hope it doesn't upset my brothers. But me and my Mom always had a special bond. When I was little we were always hand in hand. When I sat on her lap in church I always had my legs wrapped around her waist and my arms wrapped around her neck. If I could find an angel holding a little girl like that ~ THAT would be perfect!

Mom loved the springtime ~ it meant spring training for the Cincinnati Reds and opening day!!! She looked forward to it every year!!!

KML
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:56 AM

Spring reminds me of my mom's sweetpeas she loved, also her pansies, she said those had little faces.  My dad loved the sun and he loved to watch the white clouds slowly making their journey, "amazing" he would say.

Now that we have had a few warmer days, I think a lot about my dad and how if he could just sit in the warm sun, he was happy and content and at peace.  I do mss them very much.

I think of my mom's garden, I think of  the Meyer's lemons and the abundance of them from their two trees.

I sometimes feel I'm too old now for spring, I've felt like fall for a very long time, now.  But part of me wants to break out into a run (okay, a short run  and feel the warmth of the sun and to be free like when I was a kid sliding down my grandma's grassy hill on a piece of cardboard with no cares in the world.  Life sure does go quickly by.

dayn2nite
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:20 PM

I also have a bittersweet feeling about warmer days.  The NH was actually a converted mansion on a large estate and had a very long and large porch.  When the warm days would come, mom and I would sit in the big rocking chairs and watch the birds and squirrels or watch the neighbors walking and biking (it was located in a residential area).

In March of last year, it was unseasonably warm and I took mom outside and put a blanket on her.  I remember saying to her we had a long summer of sitting on the porch coming up and asked if she liked that, she patted my hand.  We never got our summer.

I miss her so much.  Not a day goes by when I don't think about her.