RSS Feed Print
30th anniversay
Granny50
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 12:49 PM

We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary this weekend. I have to say I was feeling a bit down and posted on facebook That I was Happy we were celebrating 30 years but sad that alzhiemers had taken his memory. 

I  was really feelinf sorry for myself. Got alot of positive post that lifted me up. Went to church the next day. I was singing for church. before the service a friend handed me a letter. He has a traveling blood draw buisness so he goes to NH to draw blood. This is the story he gave me.

Glenda< Let Me Call You sweetheart

Sarah was an accomplished singer and her greatest fan was Henry her Husband.

They had been married for 60 odd years, raised 4 children and went through all the ups and downs of life. through it all Sarah was singing to Henry.

When I first met Sarah and Henry, they both lived in a memory care home. Sarah had moved in about nine years before and Henry only two years ago.

When Sarah first moved in Henry lived nest door in a retirement facility. Henry came to visit Sarah everyday and when he did Sarah would hum or sing quietly to him as they sat and held hands.

When I met them their health and deteriorated to the point that they both needed to be watched for 24 hrs per day. They had separate rooms but there was time every day that the helpers would park their wheelchairs together and Henry would Hold Sarah's hand.

While sitting together Sarah would have her head bowed and eyes closed and more often than not she would be singing. I did not recognize it as singing at first, just a high pitched La La La La La La. I marveled that Henry had such patience with Sarah, to sit and listen to her for such long periods of time without saying a word.

I asked one of the care givers about the one day and she said, "Watch this."

She went over to Sarah and sang a little phrase in her ear. "Let Me call You Sweetheart."

Sarah stopped the La La La La and started singing the song Let Me Call You Sweetheart" word perfect. Henry's expression didn't change in the slightest.

Now I understood. Sarah and Henry were still communicating on their level even though it didn't make any sens

e to me. Please dear Jesus. keep me singing as Sarah and 

give me the patience of Henry.

We Love you Bob and Joy

I had to get up and sing after reading that. I had chosen and old hymn this time and as I got up to sing I could hear someone else singing with me. I looked down to where my husband was and he was singing with me. Every word. He had such a big smile on his face. What a special anniversary gift I got. Just when we are felling like our loved one is gone from us mentally, we are given these moments that remind us that they are still there. 

It was the best anniversary yet.

p.s.  In all our years of marriage he has never sung with me before.

Katrinka
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 12:55 PM

Oh, Granny50, how beautiful!  How absolutely wonderful.  What a blessing, what a joy.  Thank you so much.  And Happy Anniversary!
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 1:30 PM

Happy Anniversary, Granny 50.  What a wonderful gift!

Iris L.

KBG
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:56 PM

Thank you so much for posting this, it brought tears to my eyes!  Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely husband.
quits
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 3:14 PM

How sweet, such a blessing!  Happy Anniversary to you and your husband.