RSS Feed Print
4 Month Check up for Husband
sher-c
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:53 PM

Well we just got back from a 4 month check up for husband. I went in the room with him. It was a bit awkward when the Dr. was asking me questions, but I answered them straight forward, husband was not real happy with that. The Dr. got the idea pretty quick about my husbands anger issues. He said about the only thing we can do is up is Celexa to 20 mg. so thats what I will try.

The Dr. gave him the clock test, along with about a dozen other questions. 4 months ago he scored an 11, today he scored an 8. He failed at what day it is and what year. Actually he failed at most of the questions, he told the Dr. he just wasn't paying close enough attention and kind of laughed it off. Its was sooo sad for me to see my husband not be able to answer those easy questions. It makes it all so real, I feel sick to my stomach, again and forever I guess.

Have I mentioned how much I hate this disease and how cruel it can be.

marjie01
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:04 PM

Hi, Sher-C.
For about a year now, I've really insisted on going into the appointments with DH. Most of the time he's okay with it, but sometimes he really resists. I also have become bolder about answering the doctor's questions about how things are going and when it is related to my husband's anger, I just speak right up. We have to watch out for ourselves, too.
marjie

ladypeewee
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:46 PM

Hello Sher-c
I also go in with my husband. However I don't have to deal with the anger issues that you ladies are going through. My heart goes out to you. My husband is more like a little boy and I am his mother. He looks to me for all the answers.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:57 PM

I have gotten into the habit of jotting down my concerns for the Dr. To see first and giving them to gal when I ck him in. That way the Dr. Is able to question him and I can keep quiet. (Which is not easy.) I tell hubby ahead of time to look at me if he wants me to answer. I don't want to disrespect him, that is real important to me.
JaneW
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:22 PM

We have always gone with each other into doctors' appointments so my going with him now is normal. What has changed though is that if he answers a question wrong, I will ask a follow on clarifying question rather than answer myself. For example, the Nurse Practitioner asked if he had any pains anywhere and my DH said No. I asked if his feet felt better now and then he explaiend how his feet hurt. I also asked if the mouth guard we just got him helped and he said no, his jaw still hurts. So he is answering on his own but he is answering more precise questions, When it comes to drugs, etc., I do take over and he is OK with that. It is quite sad, yes, to sit there and see simple questions, day, month, time, etc. not being answered. He was such a strong partner but this has changed now. This is the new normal.
Callie in Boston
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:47 PM

Big hug Sherry - must be super painful.
dayofhope
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:26 PM

Sherry, you have no choice but to answer truthfully. I have tried to stand behind my husband, and mouth the words or nod my head if possible to his wrong answers, in the beginning. Now, he thinks I am near a god, so let's me do everything. It's hard enough being a human being, being his god is not any easier. Trust me.
It is sad to have confirmation from another source, though you know the truth as you live it. I have always believed a wee part of my brain will never accept this new normal. The part of my being that believes in unicorns and rainbows with pots of gold, is shrinking too.
Courage to you dear friend. Hugs and more hugs, unicorn hugs.
Tanya