RSS Feed Print
Drinking alcohol helped for a while then became a problem
300sun
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2015 11:31 PM

I share this to encourage anyone using alcohol to cope with loss of a loved one.

I was supposed to see my bereavement counselor on Friday. Instead I went to Kaiser chemical dependency drop in program to discuss my alcohol abuse. They were very kind and offered an early recovery program that is twice a week hour and a half each meeting. They also gave me some meds to ease my detox.

Already feeling better and more hopeful.

Patrick 

socwkr
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2015 10:11 AM

Patrick, thanks very much for posting this.  Wow, so brave of you to take those first steps to recovery.  I have a lot of alcohol abuse in my family so I've been very careful to watch my alcohol intake as I could easily head down the same path.  Best wishes to you and thanks for the reminder about taking good care of ourselves.

Hugs, Debra.

KML
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:31 PM

Good for you for taking care of yourself and recognizing the need to care for yourself in a very positive way.   Be proud of yourself, we are.
Be Strong 2
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:07 PM

Patrick,

Very brave, both to go and then to post here for us. 

One day at a time, just like handling being a caregiver. I'll remember to pray for you, for strength in this endeavor.

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

300sun
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:24 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement.

I started drinking the last 6 months before Mom passed. Not a lot, but more than I should. It was how I coped. When she passed I figured I would stop drinking, instead it more than doubled, and I drank daily. At home, curtains drawn, for 4 months. 

I tried to stop a few times, but couldn't. 

So now I'm attending these early recovery meetings and I already feel better. Here in Northern California there are some options for recovery meetings. Lifering and Refuge Recovery are two I'm going to check out. 

I feel like I can start moving forward now.

If this were not an anonymous forum, I probably wouldn't have shared this. I do hope anyone suffering with alcohol, drug abuse or depression will contact their doctor and get help, like I did. 

Patrick 

300sun
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 10:38 PM

I attended a Refuge Recovery meeting, which is a Buddhist oriented path of healing from addiction. The first 20 minutes is guided meditation, followed by 20 minutes reading from a text book, then 20 minutes discussion. 

I'm going to attend the meeting every week. 
I'm feeling better in general and not drinking. I'm not suffering like I was.
I share this in case anyone else is struggling with addiction after (or during) caregiving of LO.
Patrick 

Lesley Jean
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 9:47 PM

Good for you! It has to be very difficult to admit you have a problem and even more difficult to do something about it. The only thing I can relate to, and it is no where near, is sweets.  I could eat a whole pie or a carton of ice cream and not stop till I am so ill. I can only imagine how hard a dependency on alcohol would be. 

Good luck and hugs to you, 

LJ