RSS Feed Print
Mother's Day hit like a freight train!
Because she's my mom!
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:56 PM

My daughters and husband made sure I had a lovely Mother's Day. But this is the first Mother's Day without MY mom, and it just really hit me hard. I miss her so much my heart aches.

And I'm a little angry, too, because of all that she and I missed out on during the 12 years that Alzheimer's stole her from us. On top of that, I finally settled and closed her estate today after 10 months. It's like I've finally gotten the message that this is real, that she is no longer here. 

Just photos, memories, and files full of paperwork.

Damn, I hate Alzheimer's!!!!

Sorry to vent, but I know that all of you understand. Thank you.

Tink4495
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:43 AM

Bless your daughters and husband for making your day as happy as possible. This was my 1st Mother's Day without my mom and it was hard. My heart aches everyday for her. Those photos and memories will remind you that she may be gone physically but she is always in your heart and will always be with you watching over you all. {{hugs}}
Oceanbum
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:12 PM

This Mother's Day hit me a ton this year! It was my 4th without my Mom. But this year my daughter's spent a lot of time with their boyfriend's families. So I guess I just felt a little lonely and left out. 
My husband and I went to visit his Mom. Then, in the rain, I asked to go to the cemetery. He agreed and took me. He gave me time alone with my Mom and Dad's graves. Then he came over and spent time with me. He was very close to them and I know it's hard for him, too. Especially when he sees me so broken. We started dating when we were 16 and have been married 34 years. So he's grown up with my parents almost as much as I did.
Then my daughters and their boyfriends came in for a cookout which turned into a cook in because of the rain that evening.
It was a good day but I was very blue all day. I miss my Mom so, SO terribly. I go to the cemetery about once a week and talk to her. I'm going through some rough things right now and I find it just helps to sit and talk to her. I wish she could give me the wonderful, sound, spot-on advice she always gave me. But I think just talking helps me reason it out for myself. Maybe she's getting her advice to me somehow! 

His Daughter
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 9:20 PM

Oh BOY, I just realized that Father's day is coming.  That's not going to be any fun.  I haven't missed a Father's day with Dad in 59 years.   Talk about reality.  

And Oceanbum, I like your idea, I may just spend it at the cemetery.