RSS Feed Print
Three & 1/2 months later ...
Pam14
Posted: Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:01 PM

Well, it's been 3-1/2 months since Deb left us & it seems like yesterday.  Over Labor Day weekend, I finally found the strength to start going through her things in the room she had at our home.  My God!  That girl had more clothes than a person could wear in a lifetime!  I actually bagged up 8 large trash bags between Saturday & Monday, which contained clothing items, coats, slippers & lots of wild socks.  I looked at each item as I decided if the condition was good enough to donate, which most of it was.  I then held up some of her pants.  Deb was only 4'7" with a 22" inseam!  Not sure who will be able to use her pants; and since she had a feeding tube, she would only wear elastic waist pants.

It was hard, I had some tears, but at least I made some progress.  In particular, I had a hard time when I got to her yellow pajamas.  She had a dozen pair of pajamas, but every day before I'd leave her, she'd have me set out her pajamas & she always wanted those yellow ones.  After much thought, I decided to part with them.  They were too cute to keep.  I'm sure someone out there will love them as much as Deb did.

Now I've got drawers to go through.  Drawers of more socks, beads, word books & coloring books.  Little incidentals that people would bring her.  And TONS of stuffed animals.  Those will come another day.

As I went through all of her items, I could just imagine her sitting up in Heaven, looking down at me, & having a fit because I was going through her things!  With her Down Syndrome, she was very regimented & everything had its place.  I knew how she liked everything in her room, but she always watched me as I would put away her laundry to make sure it was right where she wanted it.  I miss her more than words can express & am leaving a few things back that I just can't part with.

Tink4495
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:47 PM

Hi Pam,

Just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you and glad you posted. You took such good care of sweet Deb. She is smiling down on you in between being mad you are messing with her things. I still have most of moms things to go through, it's hard most days but on my fall to do list. Take care of yourself and stay in touch.