RSS Feed Print
A Granddaughters loss
GranddaughterB
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:04 PM

My grandfather passed away yesterday morning from Alzheimer's. I was in shock and devestated. My sister and I cried and hugged each other. I do feel like I'm in denial because I know he's gone but I don't want to believe it. He was my father figure who made me feel loved. He came into my life during my senior year in high school when other family members didn't want anything to do with me. We never got the chance to meet and only communicated through the phone but our phone calls were and still are so special to me. I like to think he's my guardian angel now and I know he's not suffering anymore. I just feel empty, numb and just want to cry. My heart goes out to you all who have Alzheimer's or is a caregiver, and has a loved one with Alzheimer's. I pray that one day there will be a cure.
KML
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:33 PM

I am very sorry for the loss of your grandfather to this disease.  Losing a person, there is a grief process, and one of those stages is denial.  The grief process is important and can't be rushed through.  Grief is a a good thing, because it allows you time to absorb what has happened.  It is like a buffer.  If we had to accept losing a person so quickly, I don't think that would be a good thing.  We have to process this, slowly.  It would be too much for us to just accept it all at once.  So be kind and patient with yourself and going through grief, you get to an easier place of acceptance and resolve.

You will have many good memories of your talks with your grandfather, that is very special, that will give you strength, his words will remain with you.

Crying is good, it's a release.  I'm glad you have your sister to share these feelings with.  Take care of yourself and remember to be kind to yourself during this time.

I pray, too, that someday no one has to suffer from Alzheimer's disease.

Tink4495
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:58 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear grandfather. Sending you my thoughts and prayers. I hope you can find some peace during this difficult time.
GranddaughterB
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 12:31 AM

Thank you so much
GranddaughterB
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 12:32 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 2:37 PM

Know that he loved you and continue to feel his presence. It will be with you.
GranddaughterB
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 9:17 AM

Thank you it means so much
Skittles412
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:16 AM

Hi Granddaughter; I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I lost my mother this past June and it is terribly difficult.  I hope you can find some solace in knowing your grandpa is no longer suffering. I'm trying to hold onto the good memories and I sure hope you can do the same.  Sending love and strength to you.

xoxoxoxo -Kat

Sheen66
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:16 PM

Grandparents can be very forgiving and understanding when parents are caught up in their own midlife issues. You were fortunate to know your grandfather even if it was long distance. That also makes “acceptance” harder because physically the person wasn’t there. Perhaps it’s different than “denial.” Those stages are different for everyone, and they can overlap. 

The important thing is his presence was very real to you and very meaningful. You will find a way to make sense of that and a way to hold onto that. 

Having a grandchild reach out was probably a sweet thing in his life. 

Take good care.