RSS Feed Print
ABOUT SPARROWS
George K
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 7:20 AM

This is the Monday, July 23rd reading from Daily Guideposts 2018…

“Are not two sparrows sold for a cent?  And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.”  Matthew 10:29-31

For the last eight months I have been the interim pastor at the First Baptist Church of Montezuma, Georgia.  This week, one of the elderly men in the church had a massive heart attack.  Jack was in the army during World War II and was part of the Greatest Generation.  Now he lay in an intensive care unit, connected to tubes and depending on a respirator for life.

Last night I stayed up late with Jack’s son in the hospital.  I drove home and fell into a deep sleep.  As dawn broke, I was jerked awaked by the flutter of wings and a small object flying across our bedroom.  Somehow a sparrow had entered our house and was now trapped inside.  The bird was seeking the nearest light flooding through a bathroom window.  Carefully, I entered the bathroom and closed the door.  There was the poor sparrow, plastered against the closed window glass and trembling in fright.  There was no escape.

Slowly I moved toward the bird, and it flew to the sink and mirror.  I carefully opened the window and walked quietly out of the room, closing the door behind me.  When I returned, I found the sparrow gone and was delighted that it was now free.

Several minutes later the phone rang and Jack’s son told me that his father had taken his last breath.  I instantly thought of the bird.  Death is not a closed door but an open window, not the end of life but the beginning.

God, may I live my life confident that

the best is yet to come and that You are good!

Scott Walker

Digging deeper: Isaiah 31:5; John 5:24

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 8:15 PM

another beautiful verse from Isaiah 

31:5

Like flying birds, so shall the Lord of Hosts protect Jerusalem, protecting and saving, passing over and rescuing." הכְּצִפֳּרִ֣ים עָפ֔וֹת כֵּ֗ן יָגֵ֛ן יְהֹוָ֥ה ...

"For His eye, his eye is on the sparrow,

And I know, I know He watches over me."