RSS Feed Print
B12 deficiency and dementia symptoms
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:54 AM

https://youtu.be/QqjyAeOLyKM

This video shows what low B12 looks like. This video is what made me realize my former husbands' cognitive problems and tripping, muscle weakness was not depression or anxiety or whatever he had been told.

He had doctor check his levels and they were dangerously low. He had been looking for help over months. It began after dental surgery with anesthetic.

we got an inexpensive bottle of B12 complex sublingual liquid and he started improving in days and 2 months later was pretty normal.

During that time I came to visit father of my kids who is on blood thinners for afib and bleeds a lot. He could not speak clearly, mumbled and tripped - same as husband at home. I got him a bottle of B12 and he was speaking normally in a week and starting to have strength again.

His doctor noted he had "anemia" and did not connect dots.

I take sublingual B12 complex as it helps with weak bladder muscle.

This is easy cheap non toxic way to see if your memory problems and fatigue clear up while waiting 2 months for neurology exam.

apparently cognitive loss does NOT improve with B12 so if your symptoms clear up and you can think better odds are it isn't dementia.

"Although there is a relationship between low vitamin B12 levels and cognitive decline, clinical studies—including those involving people with Alzheimer’s disease—have not shown improvement in cognitive function, even doses of the vitamin as high as 1000 micrograms."

Unforgiven
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:03 PM

If B12 helps with bladder muscles, a whole generation of Boomers will sing your praises.
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:21 PM

I think the physical weakness for me is helped by B12 and it is cheap and non toxic. 

I had some rough pregnancies and botched repairs plus menopause low estrogen. Was coincidence I found the B12 helped me stop wetting - and yes, urinating at random is what gets dogs put down more than any other reason - to not aggravate people with another problem.

If it does not help with that, at least it doesn't hurt!  cheaper than diapers, less environmentally a problem too.

love and courage

SatchimosMom
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 11:33 AM

My maternal grandfather was diagnosed with “Alzheimer’s” back in the 80s.  Now, he may well have had Alzheimer’s as three of his children went on to have it (my mother included). However, immediately following his death, I distinctly remember his physician telling my mother that my grandfather died of pernicious anemia.  He wrote it down for her.  I’m left now wondering how much of his cognitive decline was due to the B12 deficiency versus Alzheimer’s.  

When I first started noticing small changes in my mom, I convinced her to go to her PCP and her her B12 levels checked.  I was so hopeful that her symptoms were merely a B12 deficiency. Sadly, her levels were completely fine - over 800.  Thankfully, she agreed to a neuro workup and was diagnosed with dementia at that point...later confirmed to be probable Alzheimer’s based on neuropsych testing.  She was immediately put on Aricept and it did noticeably help.  They added namenda the next year.  She managed to live alone nearly eight years. Now happily living in AL.  

Sorry to have gotten off topic...lol.  

Anyhow, it’s definitely a good idea to keep our vitamin B12 levels optimal! 

Monti00
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 1:32 PM

Does your grandfather had the early onset or the late onset Type ?
SatchimosMom
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 4:15 PM

His was first diagnosed in his mid 70s.  No telling how long the signs may have been there.  He didn’t talk a lot and my grandmother had always handled the finances and all the driving (he had some neurologic problem with one of his legs).   He passed about four years after diagnosis and had become wheelchair bound and could no longer speak or feed himself.