RSS Feed Print
I just realized something
elainechem
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 1:12 PM

I have finally figured it out - why I find my relationships with my friends so unfulfilling these days. Nobody ever disagrees with me because I was a dementia caregiver for so long and now I'm a grieving widow and everything. No one gives me honest feedback. There's no one to tell me when I'm full of it. There was a man who used to go to my church. We got into friendly arguments all the time. Then he left the church last summer and I haven't seen him since. My husband used to tell me when he thought I was wrong, but that was a long time ago. I really miss that level of honesty from someone.
demiscared
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 9:12 PM

What a wonderful discovery!   We all want and need someone to be honest with us.  Someone we can run feelings by and know they will tell us if we are not being reasonable or whatever.
MPSunshine
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:49 PM

That's insightful. It takes trust to disagree. My husband and I argue all the time. But I certainly trust him. I would trust him with my life if it came to that. Yes, politeness has its place, but it's the folks who have known you through thick and thin and who will tell it like it is that are the true friends.
eaglemom
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 10:00 AM

Self discovery is sometimes starting. At other times it catches you off guard. Its good that you've realized this. Aren't we always learning? Learning about ourselves and others.

eagle