RSS Feed Print
Hospice Volunteer
Army_Vet60
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 9:50 AM

Hi,

I've chosen the path I think is right for me.

I applied to become a Hospice Volunteer. I spent the past week taking the courses and qualified yesterday.

The next step is to interview for the position I feel suits me best.

I want to be a bed side companion to people at end stage.  When my wife reached end stage and became bed bound, almost nobody came to visit her.  Two volunteers came to my home weekly to sit with Sandy and give her a hour or two of companionship. All they had to do was sit there and it made Sandy smile. 

I hope I can make that kind of difference to someone who is nearing the end and is feeling alone.

TessC
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 11:42 AM

Such a wonderful thing you will be doing, and it helps both the caregiver and the PWD. And with your love of music- I bet you can find something on your phone to make them smile big time! Congrats on becoming a bona fide volunteer and good luck!
ladyzetta
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 11:57 AM

Dear Army Vet.  

That is a very sweet, loving and caring thing you will be doing. I was with my DH when he passed away and  one of his sons was with him for awhile earlier in the day. I was grateful for that I was there all day and if it had not been for that my DH would have been alone. Hospice and the caregivers were in and out of his room during the day. What a wonderful thing you will be doing not only for the person passing but for someone like myself who just sat there waiting and praying. It would have been a blessing to have someone like you there. Thank You and Hugs Zetta