RSS Feed Print
For those with dementia?
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 6:42 AM

What were your dental habits? I only bushed once a day most days and that was in the morning. I rarely use to floss and when I did it was about 5 weeks total times per year. Did you have sign of blood when brushing teeth or when flossing?

I will explain more after we get some feed back from others.

Thanks

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 12:05 PM

This is a great topic, Michael.  Flossing is VITAL!  I also use a rubber tip between the teeth and around the edges.  I set time aside in the morning after breakfast to do a thorough job.  Then I brush with my electric toothbrush for two minutes and swish with Listerine mouthwash.  I had been using baking soda as a dentifrice, but my hygienist told me that was too abrasive for daily use.  I sometimes swish with diluted hydrogen peroxide, half and half with water.

I have dry mouth due to autoimmune disease.  I used to use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash, but I haven't purchased in a while.

Bleeding gums is a sign of gingivitis.  Gingivitis can cause tooth loss, as well as spread bacteria throughout the body, including heart valves.  Dry mouth promotes gingivitis.

A water pik can be used as a flosser.  I have one but I found it to be too messy.  I tried the little flossing sticks, but I don't really like them.  I also have little plastic brushes for extra diligence when I feel it's necessary.  Flossing is very important to me.  I don't want to lose my teeth, and I don't want endocarditis.

A member here mentioned a specialty toothbrush.  CVS had a $300 toothbrush with a timer, but I'm satisfied with the one I have.

Iris

KawKaw
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 7:10 PM

Good days, I brush three times and floss once, mouthwash twice.

Difficult days, one or two times brushing, floss once, mouthwash maybe.

No bleeding gums yet.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 8:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for more replies but this place has become the dead zone. I only wish it was that way because no one else got dementia but we know that is not why.

The reason I brought this subject up is because they have now had many studies which seem to point to the possibility of Gingivitis could be causing some of dementia cases. It could make some sense to me as I had some poor habits and di not know any better.  But there are other issues that could have contributed to mine but only time will tell. Either way I wanted to insure you al know as Now I spend time taking care of my teeth to insure I no longer have these issues.