RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (131)
Pooh Bear
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 12:48 PM

Sayra,

I used Wal-Mart curbside pickup last year after husband's total knee replacement surgery, couldn't leave him home alone because of his delusions and wandering so a neighbor would stand by.  Only took me 5 or 6 minutes to get there, get my groceries, and get back home.  (It was right around the corner, but that was in California.)

Anyway, when they don't have an item you've ordered they will offer substitutions, usually a bigger product or a better brand.  But you don't have to take the substitution if you don't want it.  They just take it off the bill right then before you sign for it.

We don't have curbside pickup out here in the boonies, but that's where living with our son comes in helpful.  I can go out and not worry about the time.

I order some food items from Costco, though.  If it's over a certain amount (I think it's $75.), shipping is free.  I order big things that would be hard for me to lift or load in the car (like canned goods, toilet paper, etc.)  Funny thing though, they've been out of nitrile gloves since this stupid pandemic started.  Besides, Costco is an hour's drive for me one way !  So it's easier to order it.

Have a good day.  Getting too chilly here for me to sit on the porch (balcony) ... Winter is here !

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 1:10 PM

Pooh Bear, I ordered nitrile gloves from Amazon last week.  Never used that kind but glad they were available.  Might try Amazon- think it was Prime.

I order from Wal-Mart, Amazon and cat and dog food from Chewy.  I have Amazon Prime so no shipping there,most times and if you order either 35 or 39 dollars from WM  there's no charge.  Never tried the WM pickup- it's about 15 miles from me.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 5:25 PM

Boy, is it ever cold out there.  I went out and gave the girls in the corral more hay and water.  Gater was curled up on the south side of the prickly pears so.got him up and in the barn.  Couldn't see all the girls way down in the pasture so drove down partway.  That pasture is downhill from the barn and the north wind coming up the hill is cold!  Saw everyone and got back home.  Ready for a cup of hot tea.

I turned on the living room stove and the pilot is still pretty big and yellow.  I'll try to blow it out this weekend.  I plugged in an electric soft heat stove and Sammy is hugging it.  Keeps the room pretty warm.   Weather man says it's 36 degrees colder now than this time yesterday.

Soup sounds good for supper.  Probably have some frozen but Ramen will do.

Where is everyone?  I bet you're all staying in  and keeping warm.  Goodness it just said we could have some freezing rain Monday and Tuesday and could have 3-5" of rain later.  Better get up and get Gator gas this weekend so I won't have to walk to check the girls.

I've had a weepy after noon feeling alone and sorry for myself.  Didn't help that I watched two episodes of The Waltons that were tear jerkers.  I'm all right now that I've been out with the critters.  Thank goodness for them.

Hope you all are well.

Sayra
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 5:26 PM

Pooh Bear Walmart’s is the store closest to me.  Can go and be back in 5-10 minutes.  Do you like winter?  You must have long winters where you live.  

Nitrile gloves are nice I think.  

Pooh Bear
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 7:20 PM

Sayra,

I use nitrile gloves when handling ground beef.  Don't know why exactly but touching it just grosses me out.  Like rubbing it into meat balls.  Or breaking it apart to brown taco meat.  Ewww ... just don't want to touch it.

I'll bet Lorita has a much higher level of tolerance, since she lives on a farm (ranch??).

Uhh ... winter here is cold, gray and constant rain.  And wind off the ocean.  Cold wind.  We're in the Pacific Northwest.  Once in a while we get a dusting of snow.  Doesn't last long.  I'm always happy when the daffodils and tulips start poking up and bringing spring colors.

It's a very small town.  One Albertson's.  One miniature Wal-Mart.  One Home Depot.  2 gas stations.    Oh yeah ... and a post office

But I did score 8 dozen ... YES !!!  8 dozen quart Mason jars at Wal-Mart yesterday.  Spent all day running 96 jars through the dishwasher (I have a tiny 18" dishwasher).  Now, the work begins.  Think I'll can some chicken breasts.  With the expected upcoming food shortages, every little bit will help.  I've already done carrots & potatoes & ground beef (Ewww!)

Need to order firewood.  Have a good night.

Take care of your babies, Lorita 

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 7:27 AM

PoohBear for me it is chicken.  Always handle it with tongs.  Lorita does not eat meat.

Have always thought the Pacific Northwest coastline would be beautiful from pictures I’ve seen.  Live in north central Ohio .  Our weather varies a lot.  There are years we hardly have any snow and there are years we have many inches and stays on for awhile.  I live in a small town technically, but our town literally lie side by side with a mid size city.  Sort of think of it as one city with two parts.  The two shopping areas are connected. Most of the shopping is actually in the smaller town.

Glad you were able to find canning jars.  Not still seeing too many here.  Do not need jars, mom had lots of jars.  She has given me quite a few.  Wouldn’t mind finding a few extra lids but have not seen them anywhere.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 10:10 AM

Morning,

It's cold here this morning, in the low to mid 40s and very cloudy with some wind.  I need to find my trapper's hat - the Muk Luk one isn't doing the job.

Just gave Lilly and Sammy their medicine.  I have to crush it - one pill and a quarter of another one, once daily for each of them.  They're big cats and they do not like to take medicine.  They're both still sneezing some and right now sitting almost against the electric stove.

Went out and fed Tom and Jerry, then took some mail down to the mailbox and picked up a couple of days worth of mail - I ordered one of those huge, oversized, fleecy sweat shirts - haven't opened it yet but sprayed the box and sat it on the front porch for a few hours.  I need something warm.

Gave the three girls some creep and some more hay and water.  Gater is up and around this morning and his little back is straighter -  makes me feel better. The three little ones - Gater, Casper and Bubba should be great friends.   I walked out east of the barn thinking I might be able to see everyone without driving over.  I was looking and someone came up behind me and touched me.  I thought it was one of the bigger, little girls (6-8 months old).  Very friendly so I petted her and rubbed her head - then "he" decided he was going to push on me.  He was too big for that so got him away from me.  Nice when they're friendly and not afraid but they can hurt you if you're not careful.  Years ago Mike and I were feeding hay and I had another bigger bull calf that was so friendly he'd come up behind you and push on you.  Mike told me I'd better sell him because he could really  hurt me and not realize what he was doing.   I hate that part - selling the calves you've seen born and grow - but, it's part of it.  Saw all three little girls - they're doing fine.  Sassy's growing.

Sara - nice to know how your town is laid out.  My home town is even smaller than Pooh Bears - we have a building that houses a convenience store and post office.  There's a couple of gas pumps in front and we have a volunteer fire department and school.  That's it!  Over a hundred years ago it was a thriving town - had two banks, two lumber yards, a hotel, two grocery stores (one with a feed store part), two gas stations, a post office and school.  Sometime during the teens (around 1915 or 1916)a tornado came through and destroyed most of it.  When I was growing up in the 50s there were two grocery stores (one with a feed store part), a post office, kind of a hotel with a couple of rooms over the store where the woman who owned the phone company lived, a couple of gas stations and the school.  So, it gets smaller and smaller.  The town where I shop has a population of under 4,000; a WalMart, one grocery store, two truck stops, and a few other things including the feed store, urgent care and pharmacy.  Big enough for me. The town where I worked at the VA Medical Center is much larger (in another county), population of just under 50,000.

Pooh Bear - Sara's right - I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian.  Not much ovo either.  Occasionally I have a couple of scrambled eggs or boiled eggs but use them mostly in cooking.  I do love all kinds of dairy products.  Haven't had fish in several years - used to eat a lot of fish.  Haven't had meat in probably 30 years or more.  Charles was a big meat eater as was  my mother. Daddy not so much. 

It's amazing to me how much shorter the days are - didn't seem long ago that it was daylight before 6 a.m. - now it's after 7 with sunrise about 7:35 and it gets dark so early.  Guess this is the time of years when we'd leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark - of course, it was about 40 minutes to work each way so that added time to our days. 

When I was growing up we canned a lot but later froze a lot of things.  We called the lids you all are talking about "flats" and the part that screwed on we called "rings".  I probably still have some of them.  We had a lot of empty fruit jars in the cellar when it was cleared out but couldn't find anyone to give them to so they're still out by the back fence.  The man who cleared out the cellar put them in heavy paper feed sacks which, of course, disintegrated when it rained on them for years.  When I was little it was my job to wash jars - hated it but it was my job.

Yesterday I found my thermals and winter gowns so I'm set, I guess.  Now, to find the hat and gloves. 

Pooh Bear - we have another friend, Zetta, on the thread who lives in Oregon.  Is that your State?  I know it must be beautiful up there.  Sara, you and Sandy are a bit too far north for me.  Don't think I'd like to live farther south or north - we have drastic temperature changes and lots of bad weather but it's good cattle and people country.  I've never been to Ohio or Illinois but from what I see on Aerial America both states are lovely.  Right now, they're showing Missouri - another beautiful state.

Better stop and get some more hot tea - might plug in another stove.  I'll see what I can do with the propane stove - guess I could use it like it is because I have a carbon monoxide detector but it's kind of scary.  Years ago we kept having to have our propane tank filled almost every week.  The company got suspicious and came out to check it and somewhere under the house there was a big leak so had to replace the lines.  It's a wonder the house hadn't blown up - we didn't smell a thing.  Guess ignorance is bliss.

Back later.  Enjoy the day - guess summer's over.  We had 85 degrees day before yesterday and our weatherman said it was probably the last time until next summer.

Zetta  - have you heard if Harry and David's orchards were burned in the fires?  It's getting close to time for their wonderful Royal Riviera Pears.  I've looked forward to them for a few years and now have Patsy and Jack hooked on them.  Hope their orchards are okay.   How are Mollie and Brody getting along by now?

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:16 AM

Morning,

I hope everyone's well this morning very quiet since this time yesterday.

Another cloudy, cool morning.  Felt a sprinkle when I was out.  Got my morning work done and back inside.  Just gave Lilly and Sammy their medicine.  Sammy's still sneezing some.  It's a fight every time I give them medicine.  If anyone knows an easy way to give medicine to a cat, please let me know.

I'm watching morning news shows about the same thing on each of them so really no use to watch all of them.

Talked with one of my relatives in the Texas Panhandle last night. Sounds like it's about like life as normal out there. She said they've had under 400 cases in the Pan handle, most of them in Amarillo.  Not really sure of that number. Every thing seems to be open. In Church they're still sitting apart but greeting with hugs afterwards.

Enjoy the day.

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:43 AM

Pear news for Lorita:

From Harry and David:

"While our harvest is ongoing, we’ve had some unique challenges this season including the presence of high winds and devastating wildfires in our region. The recent fires have impacted some of our orchards, with a few trees lost and wind scarring on some of our precious pears. You may notice these scars on your order of pears—they’re caused when the branches of the tree are whipped around by the wind. Thankfully, the interior of the pears remains just as juicy and delicious as ever."

And more . . . .

https://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/pear-trees-torn-out-to-make-way-for-land-sale

J.

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 11:31 AM

It’s a quiet day.  Not complaining.  Getting so feel glad when the phone doesn’t ring or get a text beep.  Too often it is a stressful piece of news.  Starting to like being alone as long as I can talk to someone calm now and then.

Got my onions plants ordered for next spring.  Really liked the ones I got this year.  Sent me an email so thought better get on it before the rush.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:08 PM

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:13 PM

clearly I do not post photos well...this came from a friend near Grand Lake CO.

Cold this morning ...the squirrels are busy burying stuff...interesting, they spend a lot of time hiding the spot.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:33 PM

Thanks so much, Jo. Appreciate the info about the leads.  I look forward to them every year and I think I mentioned I sent them to Jack and Patsy last year and she said they were the best thing she'd ever eaten.  I better check with QVC about them.  But, it is sad about all those wonderful trees.

Sara, like you I enjoy a quiet day.  Been busy this morning - did a couple loads of laundry, gave the girls more hay and got some loose hay out of the crib - more of that to do.  

I just watched Aerial America about Great Britain - beautiful country.  Watching QVC now just had a bread maker on - 1.5 lb. loaf.  Didn't look as big as mine so maybe mine's a 2 lb.

Judith, how beautiful and scary at the same time.  I know it's awful for all those people around there.  Fires really scare me.  I think you did a great job posting the picture.  Is your friend close to that fire?

Pooh Bear
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:35 PM

Lorita,

I'm not too sure about cats.  We have 2 dogs.  But they should be similar in that they should all love their snacks, treats, cookies...whatever you want to call it.  One of our dogs needs daily medicine (a pill) for a skin disorder.  We used to wrap it up in a small piece of cheese but now we use bananas.  Both dogs love bananas.  So we cut a little circle, like a coin, shove the pill into the middle of it and both dogs get a "treat" ... even the one who doesn't need a pill.  They both look forward to their evening snack.  Easy Peasy.  I hope this helps with your cats.  Just use something she (he??) loves to eat.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:59 PM

Thanks, Pooh Bear, I'll try to think of something.  These cats don't eat treats or snacks and are very picky about their food- almost go through it with a fine-toothed comb.  The cats we used to have loved treats. Phoebe knew where we kept them and would put her feet up on the cabinet door and meow- I think the others put her up to it.  I'm not hearing much sneezing so maybe I won't have to give it too much longer now if Kitt can just not get it!

Just checked and QVC has already sold out of the pears.  This is my fourth year for auto delivery so mine will come Nov. 2 but can't get some for Patsy.  I'll call every few days in case they might get more.  Didn't realize time was that near for them.

telinde
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 1:06 PM

Hi all.  Judith, pictures like that all over the news here.  There are several fires in northern Colorado that are burning large areas.  Lots of homes have been burned and thousands evacuated.  They were afraid a couple fires would merge and really get raging.    The wind has been wicked in the state for weeks.  Good news.  The huge storm from the North is hitting us today.  They expect up to 20 inches of snow near the fires, so hoping it helps to control some of them.  After tomorrow, the dry weather is expected, probably wind too.  There is so much beetle kill in the forests and once the fires get started, they move quickly.  Sure wish they would permit loggers to get in and clean out the dead trees. It would probably help.  We’re getting rain here so far.

A sad story near Grand Lake.  There was an older couple in a home that had notice to evacuate.  I think they were in their 90’s.  They refused to leave their home, knowing the fire was imminent, they decided to stay in the basement in a bunker.  Bodies were found together.

I’m feeling thankful I finished up winterizing.  I sure wouldn’t want to be out in this weather.  I’ve been watching the World Series games. I keep rooting for the Dodgers, but both teams are playing well.  I’m doing laundry and cleaning while I wait for the Broncos and Chiefs to play this afternoon.  

Sara, enjoy your peaceful day.  Sometimes we get them and need to take advantage when they happen.

Welcome to all new posters.  It’s a fun thread to follow.

Lorita, you have a great herd of new babies.  Yes, be careful not to get knocked over by the friendly little calves.  So far, I’ve felt pretty safe going to grocery store.  Masks still mandatory here, and I’ve not seen anyone without them in the grocery store.  I think I’ll make some chicken noodle soup for dinner.  It’s cold and soup sounds good.  I had chili last night with a baked potato.  Tasted good.

No grand news here.  Just excited we’re getting the stormy weather.  Not excited about the cold, but will start bundling up.  Lol

I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday.  Joan

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 2:28 PM

Judith, smart squirrels!  Hope that's  not  a sign of a really cold, wet winter.  How are the baby squirrels?

Joan, so sad about the couple.  But, you can almost understand their decision to stay.  Probably had lived there for decades and be cause they were that elderly didn't have the heart to leave.  They left this world together a sure way to make that happen.

I just scared the three moms.  I cleaned the cat box always wear a mask so took it out to put over the fence.  They were laying not too far away and the crinkle of the plastic bag and me wearing a mask scared them.  I took if off and they were okay.  Same thing when I wear a hat or different clothes.

Can't understand why mask wearing isn't mandatory here such a small thing to do to help stop this. Soup sounds good. Not too cold here but not too pleasant outside either.  I dread a cold, wet winter - too hard on animals and people.  Our girls can get into the barn but most others can't and people have to get out to take care of them.  When I went out this morning just after daylight I heard a tractor north of the house- probably Mike moving hay before the possible 2-5" of rain this week.  People work all summer getting feed ready foe winter and then have to feed all winter.  Hard work and they have to love doing it.

Are you all watching First Ladies on Sunday night?  Pretty good. 

Those fires are so awful.  Prairie fires are terrible - can only imagine how bad it is when the fires get into the trees.  What's that called - crowning?

Got an e-mail mail from Leanne.  She and Face are well and staying busy.  Saw on the weather they were having snow.  Seems early especially down here.

SQBEAR50
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 2:55 PM

His all,

Back from my mini (much needed vacation) with the hubby. We stayed in a very nice hotel here in Vegas. They had tempature checks every time you went into the hotel and of course masks were mandatory. I did bring my own bleach wipes and made sure everything was wiped down in our room.  I even brought my own sheets. Very nice relaxing time. 

Nicole

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 4:14 PM

HI,

Nicole, glad you had a good time.   Nice to get away once in a while - will do you a world of good.  Smart idea to bring your own sheets. I used to always take a can of disinfectant spray when we went some place.

Watching the Chiefs and Broncos with Joan.  Good game and it's snowing like crazy in Denver.  Joan, when did they change the name of Mile High Stadium?  And, I didn't know the Raiders moved to Las Vegas. I'm way behind.

Talked with Sarah. Judith, she said the virus is in  the MCC where my sister was. She said employees are having to stay there. They won't let them pick up her furniture or anything.  I'm glad she isn't there to have to go through having that possibly.

Sounds like we're on our own as if we didn't know that already.

telinde
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 5:29 PM

Lorita.  The sports authority went out of business, so Denver lost them as sponsor.  Since there have been changes so often, I think they just refer to it as the Denver Mile High Stadium. I think Raiders moved either this season or last.  I’m not sure.  The Broncos are not playing well at all.  So many fumbles and turn overs.  Oh well, the Chiefs look good.  Thanks for watching with me!
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 5:40 PM

Hi,

Hadn't meant to post again but I just had an experience I don't want to have again - probably had it before though.

I kept hearing a cow bawl so went out to check.  It was Gater's mom.  I decided I'd get them out of the west paddock because the calves can walk through the fence if they really want to and there's a deep pond with steep banks just across the fence.  Got the cows and Gater out but Bubba and Casper decided they'd run and play.  They went through the fence to the south pasture.  So, now, they're in a completely different area than their moms.  Couldn't leave them there.  So, got the cows in the lot along with Gater and opened the front gate.  Then, I saw five little ones under two months old running and having the best time.  Evidently the mothers of the three little girls had left them in the garden when they went off to graze and the boys found them.  How in the world am I going to get everyone together again?  Closed the gate to the northeast pasture and opened the one to the east pasture, hoping moms would call the babies.  They started down this way and Stormy and Sheena decided they didn't want them close to the yard fence.  Got that stopped and three little ones came in north of the house.  I had started the Gator so they may have heard that and recognized the noise.  The other two walked under the back rubber into the east lot and I got that gate closed.  So, I now have six little ones in the lot with three moms.  The little girls' moms will panic when they come back down and they're gone.  

I'm pooped.  I didn't have my left knee sleeve on so I know my knee will hurt but couldn't take the time to put it on.  Those little guys can get lost.  Years ago I closed a gate too close to a little calf and it scared him and he took off. Ran all the way to the county line (1/4 mile) through two fences, across a road and down to the creek.  Luckily a neighbor and his son saw him cross the road and came to help.  They found him caught in some brush.  They scare easily and can take off at a moment's notice.

Joan, I know the ballgame isn't going your way - sorry.  Looks like it's stopped snowing for now.  I noticed the coach of Denver, I believe, had on a face shield - keeps virus germs and cold air off.  It said there were only 5,700 people there but lots of pictures in seats.  We went to a football game in KC years ago in early November  - it was sunny but cold.  By halftime we couldn't feel out feet it was so cold - we left and went back to the motel and watched the rest of it.  Gets cold sitting out there.

I'm ready for some soup!

Lorita
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 9:45 AM

Morning,

It's wintertime in Green Country with a cold wind and rain.  Must have rained quite a lot during the night because it's muddy.  When I watched the weather earlier there was a chance of light icing NW and W of Tulsa - just before 9 a.m.it switched to an ice storm warning that includes OKC.   By noon it's supposed to stop but will repeat in the morning.  Judith, hope you don't have any errands to run today.

I had six pairs up and couldn't decide what to do about Gater.  He's too young to be out in the rain and cold.  So, went out and luckily he and his mom moved close to the gate to the east part of the barn and I got them in there - then got Casper in with them.  A couple of the babies are still in the barn but at least one or two went off with their moms. One of the worst pushing fights I've seen in quite some time happened in the runway - I was lucky to get out of the way in time.  Those girls are big and strong and seem to do that a lot when there's a new mom around.

Stormy stayed out last night but was more than ready to come in - he's asleep on the divan now.    Today's my daddy's 113th birthday and my cousin, J.W.'s 78th birthday.  So hard to believe those numbers. 

Didn't take down the trash, of course.  I'd make a big pot of vegetable soup if I had potatoes, onions and carrots. I'll have to get some vegetables before long. I bought something called Fresh Paper from QVC a while back.  It's sheets of papers infused with something that keeps vegetables and fruits fresh for much longer. You just lay a piece of it in the vegetable pin or bowl or wherever and it's supposed to keep them fresh.

Hope all of you are well this morning and that your weather is much better than ours.  Rain is good but not cold rain - too hard on the cattle.  I see Sweet Pea and some others in the garden and have told them the barn's open but they haven't come in yet - most of them have drifted off to graze.

Back later.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 11:14 AM

Lorita, you do not have to go thru QVC to get your special pears for Patsy; you can go directly to Harry and David and either order them online or call them and order by phone. Here is their link:

https://www.harryanddavid.com/

Even QVC has to order through Harry and David. This way you do not have to wonder whether QVC will ever get more in again or not.  And you can see all the other goodies Harry and David have.  Yummy! 

Sayra
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 11:52 AM

Dark cloudy day.  Staying busy though, so that is good.  

Mom wanted another bushel of apples so put on my gear and went and got them.  Since had it all on stopped by the fabric store and got some material.  Going to make myself a winter tote.  Also found a new mask pattern, made one and think I will like it better.  Made one out of cotton, it has the filter pocket.  Feel like I have a good filter and use two layers of filter.  Mso four layers altogether plus shield.  Making one now out of my denim.  Will see what I think of it.  Denim little tougher to sew so may go with cotton for these.  We will see. 

Wearing the gear , not too bad.  Coming home though and cleaning it up is tiring.  Like cleaning the house over and over frequently instead of once a week.  Reminding myself to be thankful though because last year, at first, felt so vulnerable because I had nothing to use.  Has not been so bad since started thinking of it that way.

Take care

Pooh Bear
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 12:08 PM

Lorita,

There's another product available on Amazon called Bluapple.  It's supposed to do the same thing ... keep produce fresh longer by absorbing ethylene gas.  I haven't tried it yet, but have been meaning to order one.

Cold and rainy here.  Probably not as much as you're getting, Lorita.  But had to drag my dwarf lemon tree inside to keep it from freezing.  Now we find a water leak at an outdoor spigot.  Problem is there's no access to unscrew it (or whatever plumbers do!) to fix it or put a new pipe in.  OH what to do ... guess son will figure it out.

Canning another load of chicken breasts again today.  As soon as I can get motivated to start.   Did 14 quarts yesterday.  

Lorita
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 1:23 PM

HI,

Thanks so much, Jo.  Just ordered Patsy's pears from Harry & David's.  She should get them about the same time mine comes. I didn't think of ordering directly from them.  I was disappointed that they wouldn't get them this year because o few things taste good to her.  Thanks again.  I asked about the fires and she Saud their trees were fine.

Sara, what do you use as a filter?  I found my.mask.  I had put it in the PU when I drove it to town.  Still want to.make another one or two.  On the ones I made in March I used interfacing as a filter.  Never have worn it.

Glad you got the apples for your mother.  Is she canning them or freezing?

Pooh Bear, thanks for the information about Bluapple- hadn't heard of it.

It's raining still here and the freezing line is moving closer.  FedEx just delivered my WM order and I saw lots of water between the house and barn.  I have to go out and get Casper's mom in with him and give some hay to the two moms and water.  Dread getting out in it.  Guess I better stop and get it done.  Back later.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 4:01 PM

The power has gone off several times today. Thankful for the generator. We have been listening to cracking branches all day. More ice expected.

The chimney sweep did a great job...all is OK. He said I never need cleaning again since we are "burning" fake logs. A friend is getting an electronic spark pilot light installed. Flip a switch and you have flames. I think I want one too.

Sayra
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 4:19 PM

Sorry you are having freezing rain. To me that is the worst, way worse than snow.

Lorita use filti fabric for my Filter.  You can check it out @ filti.com. 

Not sure what mom will do with apples.  Probably give some to neighbors.  She use to make applesauce but she didn’t last year.

Hope you get your spigot fixed Pooh Bear.  Seems like something always needs fixed.

The pears will be a nice surprise for Patsy.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 5:17 PM

Hi,

Judith, Sarah called and she said their power had gone off several times, too.  She said the trees were white with ice.  She didn't mention breaking branches yet.  That's one of the worst sounds imaginable.  We've heard it so often - all night long -like gun fire.  If you all have leaves on the trees it will be worse, and I guess you probably do.

It's 38 here but the weather's showing ice in Pawnee and Osage Counties, NW of here.  They're saying now Okfuskee County is one of the several counties the Governor has declared an emergency because of ice.  That County's between us and OKC.  

We've had almost 2" of rain - water everywhere and the wind is so cold.  I had Gater and his mother and Casper in the cowshed (part of the barn) but Casper's mom wasn't in with them.  I went out a while ago - Casper was calling her.  I saw a few cows in the pen inside the barn looking into the cowshed.  I got him outside and opened the stall door and she came out when she saw him.  He latched on immediately - poor little guy was hungry.  I didn't go into the main barn because the hallway was full of cows.  Still not really sure about Stanley.  I had to separate him last night from a couple of girls so he's probably not liking me right now.  I had to get up into the stall to move part of a cattle panel I had across the door - the step up is a little higher than knee high so it really didn't help my knee any.  I have a heating pad on it now.

Glad you got your chimney swept.  Do you have natural gas or propane?  Guess it's natural gas - I don't think you can have propane in a city - but my SIL's son has a propane company and he delivers to homes in their town.  Of course, it's much smaller than OKC.  The switch sounds like a good idea.

I'm still using electric heaters.  The one in the bathroom keeps it and the bedroom warm - by early, early morning I get too warm.  It's all right in the LR.  I'm going to have to see if I can get the dirt out of the pilot light thing and if I can't will call the chimney sweep who's been out here. I hate to have anyone in the house though.

Thanks for the link, Sara - is that a heavy fabric?  You said your masks have four layers - two material and two filters?  The one I made has two fabric layers and the thicker one of interfacing.  I'm using the little blue/white ones - the box says it filters out 99% of dust and other things.  I think the safest thing is to stay home if that's possible.  I know sometimes you have to get out so masks for sure and face shields if you have one.  I still think it would make my  head hurt trying to keep that flat piece of whatever it is wrapped kind of around your face.  Maybe I could fasten it around something and get it to conform to that shape.  Is yours flat?

Guess I'd better stop and see what I can find for supper.  I thawed out some brown beans I had frozen yesterday so that will probably be supper tonight.  Thinking about cooking some mac and cheese. 

Not sure what's on TV tonight.  I've been watching quite a lot of CNN.  Some of the things they report are unbelievable - hard to imagine.  Just said 82,000 customers are out of power in OKC.   Bet you are glad you have that generator, Judith.   Thanks to you, we  have one and I really like it.  Wish we'd gotten in many years ago.

Stay safe and warm.  Weatherman just said it's 19 in Guymon (panhandle).  Sara, I know Patsy loves those pears and I'm so glad Jo posted their link.  I saved their number on my phone.  I can hardly wait for them to come, too.  I share with our sweet mailcarrier - she likes them, too.  She went to school with Sarah by the way.

SQBEAR50
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 7:12 PM

Hi all,

Hard to believe it's so cold/rainy everywhere else in the world yet it's 70* here in Las Vegas. It did get down to the 40's early this morning.....bbbbrrrr.......hubby was wrapped up in the blanket so I had to get up and get my own blanket. 

He did redeem himself as he cooked a really good breakfast for uncle and I. Will miss him when he leaves on Wednesday. 

I've been craving my homemade chicken and dumplings so I may just have to make them for my uncle this week. Yum.

Nicole

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 11:12 AM

Chicken and dumplings sound good.  Do you roll your dumplings out or are they the fluffy kind?

Dark day and quite cool.  Could rake leaves, but dark,  cold and damp doesn’t put me in the mood.  Guess I’ll keep finding things to do inside.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 1:08 PM

Hi,

When I worked at the VA Hospital the Chef in the Canteen made the very best chicken and dumplings.  You had to go to lunch early to be able to get some of them - and the best twice-baked potatoes.    I made dumplings once - I put them in whatever it was I was making and they disappeared - completely disintegrated - guess I stirred them too much.

We've had 3" of rain and there's a heavy mist now but we've been 3-5 degrees above freezing.  I went out early and gave the two moms some feed and a little bit of hay - couldn't give them much because there were four or five cows in the barn.  Most of them went out to graze and came back in about an hour ago.  I saw three babies go by - should have been four - so had to go out to make sure all of them made it back.  They did.  All that's out now is Rose Bud but she'll make it back soon.

Todd just sent a lot of pictures of the ice storm damages at their home in  OKC.  They have big trees in the back yard and a couple of big ones in front.  They're all down but luckily it doesn't look like any hit their house except there's limbs all over the bay window in front.  One did fall on their Camaro - can't even see how much damage it did yet.  He can't get his PU out of the driveway and they're out of power.  Sarah has an electric continuous feeding tube so they called their power company and told them but there's no telling when it'll be back on.  I bet they get a generator after this.  I have so many pictures of ice storms we've had - scary looking.  If you've never been in an ice storm you'd be amazed at how much damage ice can do especially if there's still leaves on the trees.  We have lots of trees all over the farm and we probably had damage to 30-40 of them during one ice storm.  And, the damage is everlasting - we still have limbs that were damaged in ice storms that fall when we have high winds. 

I heard there's over 200,000 people out of power in Okla.   Judith, I hope you're okay. I know you have the generator - thank goodness - stay in and be safe.

Back later.  Listening to Biden's speech.  Just saw one by Obama.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 1:53 PM

Inside OK....outside, major tree damage including one ancient American elm uprooted. We would have done better if the leaves were not still on.

I got a the generator the day Dick went on oxygen. Best money spent ever. Todd needs to get a small generator asap. I am sure there are some for back up cpaps etc. Check Amazon.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:50 PM

Judith what brand is your generator?  How long have you had it?  Have you had many problems with it?  Any trouble getting it serviced?
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:02 PM

Sara, not Judith but she and I both have Generac Generators.  They come in different sizes.  Ours takes care of the whole house, barn, carport, storage building and three security lights.  Ours was being installed the day or night I lost Charles - six years in January.  He passed away in the middle of the night and when I got home at 2:30 a.m. there was no power - they had been working on it the previous day and had a wrong part so had to find candles.  When I left the next morning to go to the funeral home they were installing it. 

The only problems we've had is it was struck by lightning or a power surge once and had to be repaired.  Another time, in the summer, ants got into the  mechanics of it and that had to be repaired.  I've kept ant traps in it since then.  We have a service contract with United Engines out of Tulsa.  The cost is $675 a year and Anthony comes every six months and checks everything and charges the battery.  It's really a feeling of security knowing it's there if it's needed.  We've been out of power for long periods of time so many times - really wish we'd gotten it many years ago.  Ours runs off propane.

I went out and gave the two moms some more hay and opened the gate to the NE pasture.  The girls are getting a little grass before they come back in for the night. It's not raining right now but the weatherman says we have two more days of rainy and cold weather, however, will begin to warm a little bit tomorrow.

It's really cold out and there's water everywhere - 3" of rain so far with 2-3 more predicted.  At least it's above freezing.  The pictures our weather or news has shown are mostly up in Osage and Pawnee Counties, NW of Tulsa.  The pictures Todd sent were awful - brought back bad memories.  We don't get much OKC news here so don't know what's happening now.

Maintenance again tonight so I'll stop and see what's going on outside.  Stay well. E