RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (131)
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:57 PM

The latest from Dr Fauci;

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/fauci-just-focus-on-washing-your-hands-174323153.html

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 7:33 PM

Judith, what did he say? When I type it in it says page can't be found.
SQBEAR50
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 10:17 PM

Sayra, I use bisquick to make fluffy dumplings. 

I told my hubby when we were dating I had no intention of making anything from scratch. Too busy with law school and being a single parent and working full time. 

Thank goodness he was not a man that wanted his wife to be a "homemaker" 

Nicole

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 4:41 AM

Judith thank you for the article.  Hearing Dr Fauci say what I had read elsewhere makes me feel more comfortable  about that.  Lorita google aol, Fauci, handwashing and it will pop up.  

Thanks for the info Lorita on Generac.  Have a Koehler at my other house.  Koehler is used a lot, but seems more commercially.  Have had no problems so far but my sister has.  Biggest issue seems to be  only one person in our immediate area services them.  See a lot of generacs residentially.  I do not have a generator but something to think about.

Nicole fluffy are my favorite dumplings.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 11:16 AM

Found it, Sara, thanks.  I believe anything he says.  I think our Generac was somewhere around $5000 plus installation.  Our electrician bought and paid for it, then we paid him.  I'm hoping Todd will buy one for them.  He has two - not working I guess, so he was trying to get parts to fix them.  

It's cold here this morning and was misty when I was out.  Fed Tom and Jerry, then gave creep and hay to the two moms.  Billy and Rose Bud were in the barn so gave then a little feed and hay. I'm amazed at how bug Billy us when you're standing next to him.  His back is at least as tall as my shoulder and I'm 5'6".  He's as tall as his dad but not as heavy yet.

Saw a couple down in the NE pasture but had to look over at least 80 acres, twice, to find everyone.  I was worried about the four babies but they seemed fine when I did find them.

It's some muddy - have had 3.4" of rain with 2-3 more coming, maybe.  Thank goodness for the Gator.  

The two cats seem better.  I gave Lilly hers, but when I was giving it to Sammy he moved his head just as I squirted it so missed his mouth mostly.  They have one more dose and an extra Baytril which he'll get. 

I hope things are better in OKC this morning.  Didn't see much local news.    Did watch an hour of kitchen gadgets on QVC- I resisted ordering, barely.

Back later.  Hope you all are well.  Nicole, I've never used Bisquick much but did order a big box.  May try waffles with it.  Has anyone ever had bean dumplings?  Daddy would occasionally make them.  May be an Indian thing since he was raised by an Indian aunt after his parents passed away.  They're good!

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 12:23 PM

Generac here. My electritian told us to buy it direct from the company. My contractor poured the slab and the electrition and a plumber installed. My is on my gas line. No problem getting it serviced. It is a simple motor. Once a year for $150. 

The ice on the trees is melting  drip by drip. Lost one more tree....sigh. The elms have done the worst. Rain is headed this way and all will be well. That's good. I am getting sic of peanut butter and jelly!

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 1:23 PM

Hi,

Just have done something I shouldn't have but I did.  Shortly after Charles passed away I  made an album of 90% pictures of him doing everything he did around the farm and some of the dogs, cats and cows.  I love all those pictures but they  make me sad - some do make me smile.  There were so many of Charles and Barclee.  Many of them were made before dementia was diagnosed.

It's raining here, again.  Weatherman says we may have 2-4 more inches before it's over late tomorrow. 

Judith, big difference in money for service.  I think since you live in a big city there are companies around who do service for a very small service call.  Here, they have to come from Tulsa so it's a big service call.  At any rate, it's worth having it.  I just heard it come on - every Wednesday afternoon it runs for about ten minutes to keep the battery charged. 

So sorry about your trees - have you lost a lot of them?  From the looks of the pictures Todd sent ,all of their trees are severely damaged.  There was one big Sycamore, I think, in front of the house and Sarah said part of it fell yesterday.  They had another two or three that came up from another downed tree years ago that are completely broken.  I haven't talked with her this morning but so hope Todd was able to get a part of two he need for his portable generators.    Are the streets cleared yet? 

I found Sheena and Stormy's metal comb.  I ordered another one (still in the box on the front porch) so now I'll have two.  Guess I'll put one up in the drawer in the bathroom (saying that so maybe I can remember where it is).  I've looked and looked everywhere I can think of for the plastic bag with the nail clippers, etc., but can't find it.   I'm sure I probably picked it up and stuck it somewhere out of the way - but where?  I used to call mother and I'd ask her what she was doing.  She'd always say she was looking for something.  I know now what she meant when she said there were so many places where things could be - you move them and then forget where you moved them.  Guess the moral of that story is - don't move anything after it's been there a while.

Question:  Months ago I ordered three, black masks from somewhere.  When they came saw they were made in China.  Put them up but a while back got them out and hand-washed them through a couple of hot, soapy waters.  Then, washed them again in the washer.  Do you think they're safe to wear?  They're heavy material - might be heard to breath through - but only one layer.  Right now they look almost frosty - with white GP hair but that'll come off.  Just wondering.

What happened in Nebraska last night after Trump's rally?  I heard a little bit and it said hundreds of people were stranded in the cold weather. 

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 2:21 PM

I think the mask material is very important. You should not be able to see a light through it. That is why high thread count percale is so good but even then 3 layers.

3 elms lost so far...there goes my fescue lawn too.

I heard that most were bused in and that the buses did not return to pick up supporters. I wonder who paid for the buses. Why they were parked miles away and where were the drivers? Maybe the buses could not get past the cars leaving. 

The police department said 25,000 people had been taken to the rally site by 40 buses running from 10:00 a.m. until the rally began at 8:00 p.m.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 3:06 PM

Good question - wonder who did pay for the buses?  Wondering where they picked up so many people.  Did the buses ever come back for them?

Be careful who you get to take care of your trees - there'll be lots of unscrupulous people out and around.  Your lawn will probably cone back early next spring.  We have lots of rescue and it greens up very early.  What did you do with your caladiums?

It's raining again. Maybe should have emptied the rain gauge this morning.  It holds 5" - hope we don't get more than that.

How's the PB&J doing? I mix peanut better and peach jam together to put on toast,- really good.

Saw Dr. Reiner on CNN earlier.  Really like him and Dr. Fauci. I saw that Dr. Fauci said it might be 2021 or early 2022 before things got back to a little bit if normal.  Looks like it'll be a long haul.

The mask material is heavy but just wondered if virus germs might have survived if they were ever there.  

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 4:23 PM

If the masks were made in China guessing if any corona was on them it was dead when it got to you.   Then you washed them so they should be good and dead.  Soap kills it as the outer layer is made up of fat.  

thanks for all the generator info.  Paid either 150 or 250 for yearly maintenance on the one where mom lives.  It runs off of natural gas.

Another dark day and they give rain setting in tonight.  That motivated me to rake leaves even though dark and damp.  Pick up groceries tomorrow for the three of us.  The week seems to go so fast.  Thankful for that.  

Was not going to decorate for fall.  Decided that was a bad idea psychologically, and got my stuff out.  Forgot about my two lights.  Thought about them a couple of days ago.  They look cheerful lit up on these dark days.  Glad I got stuff out.  

Made potato soup today.   Used original recipe since didn’t have cream cheese.  Hope to remedy that tomorrow.  Made hotdog buns, they turned out nice.  Sewed another mask   Think I’m going to be happier with these.   

Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 4:25 PM

About the bus situation after the rally....this was a huge snafu, and several people were still hospitalized this afternoon after being stuck in sub-freezing temps so long, trying to get to their cars.

Basically, many people had to park 3 miles away for the rally. There were buses to take them TO the rally, but bus drivers today said no one told them, or paid them, to take people back to their cars. They thought other arrangements were made. (The buses were reportedly arranged by the rally organizers).

So many elderly people, many with mobility problems, were left in the cold. They tried to walk but could not. By the time others realized the elders were stuck, maybe an hour or so, the officials tried to get buses back to help. 

But there were at least 3 different agencies handling traffic/parking for the event, and they had different radio systems and different ways of handling traffic. So some prevented “rescue buses” from coming back in. By that time, many rally goers—mostly elders—needed medical help....

This is what’s been on the news so far, there may well be more details later.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 6:15 PM

Thanks, Rescue Moms how awful for those poor people.

I'm watching the news; fires, snowstorms, ice storms, power outings,  hurricanes, flooding, virus surge and the election.  Almost too much.  

ronald71111
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 8:03 AM

Good morning friends! I haven't posted lately, guess I've been to busy feeling sorry for myself!! Just depressed and tired, but I'll get over it. 

Saw the radiologist/oncologist monday and had a long discussion on my treatment plan. To me the hormone treatment seems worse than the radiation. Radiation will be every day; monday thru friday for two months and the shot every six months for three years. All of this is pending the outcome of my bone and ct scan friday. Will be praying the cancer is localized and we can get on with the treatment and get it over with. 

I do know some of you dont feel sorry for me on this next statement......

It's 40 degrees this morning in Louisiana. Good thing about Louisiana, if you don't like the weather just wait a couple of days, it always changes.

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 9:05 AM

Morning,

Ron, good to see your post. Glad you got to talk with the oncologist and made a decision as to your treatment plan.  Hope all goes well with the scans Friday.  About feeling sorry for yourself - we all do that.  I know I have been lately.  I think part of it's the weather. 

We've had 4" of rain - bad weather all week.  When I got up this morning it wasn't raining but it was beginning to wrap around so by the time I went out it was beginning to sprinkle.  I managed to get some creep to the two moms but couldn't give them hay.  There were four big girls in the barn and they wanted something to eat, too.  I had a bucket in my hand and one of them got it - I think there were a few pieces of creep in it - couldn't get it back from here for a long time.  All the others are out grazing.

Ron, 40 degrees is pretty cold but to us it seems pretty good now.  We've had lots of rain but NW of Tulsa and from there west it's awful.  I talked to my SIL in the Texas Panhandle last night and she's snowed/iced in.  Sarah called while I was at the barn.  Todd found a piece for one of the generators and has a couple of things hooked up.  She said they had one TV channel and something else - maybe he'll get her feeding machine hooked up this morning.  After today we're supposed to have good weather for at least the next week. 

Oklahoma just began early voting this morning.  It showed the lines at some place in Tulsa - people are really getting out to vote this year.  Glad I got mine done a couple of weeks ago. 

Hope all of you are well this morning.  Ron, today will be a better day and you'll feel better tomorrow after your scans are done.  I've always thought waiting is the worst part of anything.  Have you and Lou had your flu shots?

Zetta - how are you?  Haven't seen a post in a couple of days.  Hope everything's okay.  I'll look for a reply a little later - I know it's early out there.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 9:14 AM

Lorita, trying to get onto your Thread has been difficult; finally got on but had a very long wait to do so; I think that it has gone to too many pages; especially since the update by the techs last night. I have noticed that is easier for me to lose Posts once it goes to four pages.  May be a flaw in the Board's program.

Ron; it is completely normal to feel the way you do; this is no small thing that you are doing. I send you a soft hug and my warmest thoughts.  You are a strong and proactive person, I have no doubt you will move forward well.  One thing I would recommend if you have not done so, would be to put together a plan for a possible need for a consistent assistance in  the home for awhile after starting treatment. Fatigue comes with treatment, and that is NOT just plain feeling tired.  It can be overwhelming and knock a person off their usual way of being for awhile; I have experienced that and it was shocking in how deeply and pretty much nearly incapacitating such true fatigue really is.   I endured that for about five to six months.  So; if there is some ongoing assistance you can get from family or if it is affordable to hire a nice person to assist during the daytime,, that may be a good plan to have in your pocket .  It is good to plan ahead; and not wait for when things are in process; that takes far too much energy.   And of course, hopes and best wishes are for all to go very, very well.

Okay -  I did "it" despite being really conflicted about it.  I got a haircut. TONS of hair was cut and it is now very short which I wanted so the cut will last much longer and it is actually rather cute and a very good cut . . .  BUT . . . BUT . . . BUT . . . EEEK! 

I planned so carefully.  My hair was cut outside in the open air.  I wore a long sleeve top and slacks; I wore a nylon salon coat with long sleeves that snaps in the front and goes below the knees.  I wore a  good fitting two layer mask with an excellent filter inserted into the masks pocket and also wore a pair of gloves.  I had everything set out on the table for the beautician including hand sanitizer, extra masks etc and my hair was wet for the cut; all I wanted was a cut; no blow dry.  I had post haircut things planned and prepared, I hoped I had covered all bases as best could be.

So anyway; the beautician arrived and she was wearing a mask. Good.  We went outside and the haircut commenced.  I could not see her as there was no mirror; she spent a lot of time behind me and at each of my sides; again, I could not see her.  She went to the side/front of me to cut the front; had my eyes closed so hair would not get in my eyes.  It took somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour to get it done as my hair is so thick and there was so much of it.  (Filled two dust pans full to the brim when DH swept it up; we could have made a puppy!)

Anyway; when beautician was done, she was standing in front of me and there she was . .  mask completely underneath her nose!!!!!!  What?????  Oh no!!!!!!  I pointed out that her mask had fallen below her nose and she stated she knew; it was always that way; the mask just would not stay up on her nose.  I realized that her nasal reservoir was exposed the entire time she was close to my head and face.    

If I had known that was how it was for her, I never would have had my hair cut.  Never.  To say I was stunned is an understatement.  I am now counting the days until fourteen, (November 10); so hope she was not silently infected and that I do not develop COVID19.  Geeze, beeze, Loueeze. 

As for post haircut, I went right from the patio into the downstairs powder room, took off all my clothes carefully and placed them into a plastic bag to go to the laundry room and washing machine.  I then washed my hands thoroughly all the way up to my elbows - twice.

Afte that, I put on my robe and went immediately upstairs and took a shower and washed my hair.

So that is my story of my haircut.  If I have not been exposed to COVID, I will say that it feels really wonderful not to have all that hair that was so tremendously bulky, that no matter how I carefully blow dried it, within an hour suddenly looked like a bicycle pump had blown it way out on each side and it also got in my face and into my collars and since I had hacked away at some of the more troublesome bits and pieces, it was just a cross between a dogs breakfast and last years birds nest.   Mostly though, it had just become terribly uncomfortable as it cannot be put in a pony tail.

Had not had a haircut since last December, I am now good for another ten months. 

I realize that the risk is not hugely great, but I really would have not had the cut had known this would be the dynamic.   Let that be a lesson to me; hopefully not a deadly one.   I am such a wimp!

So; that is that.   Whoops, got a phone call, see you later.

J.

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 10:49 AM

Ron sorry you are feeling down and tired.  Feel free to come here and express how you feel.  You need to do that.  

Jo some people either don’t care or they don’t get it.  Will say seeing less people with it under their nose here but one is too many right?  Can only speak for myself, at work they usually had masks with ties.  Now and then we had the ones with elastic.  The ones with elastic never sealed up as well on me, and much more likely to slide off of nose.  Never liked them. You can fix the ties just like you need them, and don’t think one has ever slid off of my nose.  So have made mine with ties, which is a pain and takes a bit longer.  Ordered a small amount of elastic few weeks ago but did not get a good fit with it so will continue on with making ties.  When picked up groceries today the girls was under her nose.  Will say when I pick up at Walmart, most of the time it is over their nose.  It was raining cats and dogs though, so will not say anything about it in my survey.

ronald71111
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 12:04 PM

Jo., to bad I couldn't cut your hair, I definently would have made sure we both wore plenty of protection (funny how that sounds now  versus how the meaning of plenty of protection meant when I was younger). Any way, I've mentioned before when I was in my 20s I went to cosmetology school for something to fall back on if needed. My aunt and sister both were beauticians! I never got my license but saved a small fortune on cutting Lou and the boys hair. Lou's hair was also long and back in the day Dorothy Hamil (the ice skater) haircut was popular and Lou wanted it cut like he's. It stayed short for years and just recently started growing back out.

Ron

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 2:08 PM

Ron, you had me laughing; protection indeed.   You can do anything, you are amazing.  I can see all of us women lining up waiting for a haircut by Ron.   We would have you tied up for weeks.  Why, we would even "let' you serve us some of those wonderful cakes you bake!

I have been debating taking off my PV hat and providing a link to a very, very clever, and well done humorous short video re wearing a mask.  Really very good, BUT it has about three naughty words; not severely off, but a bit naughty nonetheless.

Everyone here is very ladylike or very gentlemanly, so I do not want to post a link that may offend, so I have put it off and not Posted it.

There are multiple fires again out in Orange County in the hill areas.   Santa Ana winds hit, some of of them up to 90 miles an hour!   Mostly though, in the 70 - 80 miles an hour which is still very bad.  Hills are of course tinder dry from summer and fires started, some once again from power lines which the companies did not shut down soon enough.  Two fire fighters have been badly, critically burned.  More winds are expected in a few days which extends risk for new fires and spreads existing ones, sure wish it would not be so; but it is that time of the year.

We do not get such winds in our area where we live.  When I was working out in Orange County, I remember leaving home and we had no wind; I would drive the open freeway (not packed early in the a.m. before dawn), a half hour to 45 minutes to work and out there, I would see trees blown down, parts of roofs or signs blown, etc.  So odd how different areas are and yet not that far from one another.

One thing is for sure, never a good idea to buy a home in a hill area nor to buy a home with a hill from a neighbors property from above that goes down into one's back yard or have a house on a lot that has a hill down into someone elses property.  Some hill areas are like that.   That can be big trouble and it sure does happen.  Many of the houses at risk and that have burned have been very expensive upper scale houses.  The hills look so pretty, the houses so beautful, I am sure it was very appealing, but boy; when fires hit and evacuations happen in the blink of an eye, it is a very bad thing.

We had a few days down in the low to mid 60's, but here we are again, expected to be mid 80's again.  What an odd year for temperatures; we are usually cooler by now.  I remember having to bundle up the kids under their Halloween costumes to keep them warm, but these days it is usually warm on that date now, so no bundling.  Climate change.

Lorita, I know how you can find your lost items.   Just buy new ones and when you do, the others will suddenly appear as if by magic.  I do think the little pixies that hide our things get their kicks from doing that. Sometimes, I think I can hear them giggling their little pixie giggles when my "lost" items suddenly appear after I have replaced them.  Little stinkers!

I am interested in learning about the Generac Generators but only from those with experience.  I would want one for our home, we have no out buildings.  Judith, is the generator noisy when it starts up and runs?   I ask because our neighbors homes are very close and I would not want to cause them difficulty from noise.   Does yours take up much space because it is only for the house?  I would imagine Lorita's is a huge one and that would not be what we would need.

Our cobber friends from down under are entering their summer now; hope they have a good season and no fires and not too much blasting heat like last year. 

Just bought a flannel sheet blanket and a new robe from Vermont Country Store and am waiting for them to arrive; they carry that nice thick weight of Portugese flannel.   Good for colder days.  CostCo is evidently selling Pendleton blankets at a steep reduction in price.  Don't need one, but seeing Pendleton in CostCo is surprising.  Once when I was in CostCo, I was wandering down some side aisles where no one else was. Up against a wall, I saw some wooden folding chairs with upholstered seats.  I looked at the brand and recognized them; the exact ones were being sold for $125 a piece in some catalogs I saw.  Here they were in CostCo for $25 a piece!  They were really high quality and very nice looking and folded well.  I bought six of them because we had so much company for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, etc., and we always needed extra seating.  Great price break to say the least.   Sometimes one can hit unexpected unadvertised big time bargains at CostCo.  Have to hit it just right.

Oh; I will be so glad to see the end of the political ads; they are coming over TV in a last minute frenzy.  Enough to make one's head spin.  Our TV mute button is getting quite a workout. 

May everyone have a good day with no vexation,

J.

SQBEAR50
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 2:22 PM

Hi all,

Ron, my uncle has prostate cancer and gets the injections every 3 months. This and taking Bicalutamide 50 mg has been keeping his PSA at a steady level. 

Jo, I'm sure you will be fine, you were protected so please don't stress. You now have your hair the way your like it.

As I've mentioned before my cousin is a Dr and works for the CDC and I get some information about COVID from her. The advice she tells me is to keep protecting myself and my uncle I can't control what others do. I'm still going to live my life just a bit more cautiously.

I have housekeepers come to the house, I went on a mini vacation with the hubby, I go to the store, I have caregivers come to the house. Again I protect us. Life has to go on for us.

Uncle has a much needed shave/hair cut today. I need to go to the store sometime soon. Always busy here.

Nicole