RSS Feed Print
The struggle with out-of-ordinary events
KawKaw
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 5:22 PM

Not so much a struggle with having events outside my current livable schedule, but with the ramifications from adding something to my schedule.

Simple thing: another dog trainer asked me to help with a client by being a "visitor" at a house where the dogs freaks out if someone rings the doorbell.

It required two hours of my time, tops, including driving time in familiar territory.

I was fine during the training, and for a brief leash walk with the dog after the indoor training.

I was alert for the drive home.

Now, I am absolutely spent and exhausted and cannot stay awake much longer, even though my own dogs need their usual afternoon walk in the next 45-60 minutes.

I am not sure whether this is common with people with MCI or whether with the COVID-19 restrictions, I am simply not accustomed to getting out and doing things.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 1:06 PM

Yesterday, October 15th, was the first time in about a year that I have felt awake and alert all day, from morning until night.  Hallelujah! Every other day I have felt fatigued, without energy.  I usually have to rest after any bit of exertion.  All my muscles feel weak.  This makes my life hard to live, because I can't get much done.  I spend a lot of time sitting or laying down.  Sometimes I felt trapped in my body.  Yet now I have a chance to actually have a life!  What made the difference?  Different medication for only a week.  I pray that this improvement continues for me!  

KawKaw, for you, you will have to learn to pace yourself.  This means building rest breaks into your schedule.  Also, avoid overexerting yourself in the first place.  I am rarely away from home for more than two hours at a time.  I take a big break after being away from home for any length of time.  Best wishes on finding your own accommodations!  

Iris

Marta
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 1:24 PM

Iris:  this begs the question:  what is this new medication?
KawKaw
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 8:21 PM

I am so happy for you, Iris!

What an amazing change!  That is worth a great deal.

Having energy and awake time is so very precious.  May this become the norm for you!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 3:43 PM

Thanks KawKaw.  It's so nice not to feel rundown and stuck.

Marta, my new medication is actually old medication, it's simply aspirin, two tabs, three times a day.  I stopped my chronic pain medication about three years ago, but I keep aspirin on hand for if a need arises.  My back pain had gotten to the point where I had so much difficulty in basic daily functioning.  I had to do something.  The aspirin, along with the physical therapy exercises, is definitely helping me!  I hope to be able to reduce the aspirin in a few more days.  

Iris

KawKaw
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2020 6:43 PM

I have learned that chronic pain consumes energy without me being aware of it.

It is wonderful that the aspirin is helping.  

It all adds up, a bit of relief here, some more cognitive function there.

Such a sensitive balance.