RSS Feed Print
Alzheimer's Personality like Alcohol Imbibing Personality??
FrancesW
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 7:23 PM

Has anyone noticed that their LO with dementia has some of the same characteristics that s/he had when overindulging?  My DH who enjoyed beer (doesn't like the taste any more) would occasionally drink whiskey and after a little too much, he would become sneaky and "you can't tell me what to do?" Criticized my cooking (HA).  Basically those are the things I'm dealing with now.  A friend's husband was quite circumspect until he drank, then he became a horrible flirt and sexually inappropriate.  After dementia and placed in MC he was asked to leave because he would not leave the female residents alone.  I could give other examples, but just wondered.
Rescue mom
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 2:53 PM

No personal experience quite like that (DH was never a problem drinker) BUT, dementia and alcohol both often remove normal social “filters,” so they’re likely to say (or do) what they really think or want, rather than keep quiet (or not act) because they know such action is inappropriate.

I’ve heard a lot of families and professional caregivers debate whether the personality changes of dementia are really that person’s “true self” coming out. I haven’t heard any dominant agreement if it is or not. And I’m not sure about it myself. Is an “unfiltered” act or statement their true self? I don’t know, it certainly gets philosophical.

But I totally agree that both dementia and alcohol can cause bad behavior.

Just as a kind-of by the way, it looks like you are fairly new. Welcome but sorry you have to be here. Some of the other threads, like for spouses and partners, or for caregivers, get a lot more traffic. This would probably stir some interesting comments and more people seeing it. But it absolutely fits here, this ones usually interesting too!