RSS Feed Print
I am on a health committee and would like to see if I can add someone with healthcare experience on it with me.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 6:51 AM

This is for people with dementia. They are trying to resolve Health issues with dementia for the US.  You need to commit to 4 meting a year going to Washington DC once the virus is over. For now the meetings are on the internet. There are also monthly meetings. They will pay you travel cost. I am looking for nurse or doctor who may be interested to help out. I still need to get them to approve this but I will not ask until I find the right person. So if you and are interested lets talk by phone and we can see if this will work.  Please reach out to me privately. This committee will have a huge impact. If you are African America, Hispanic, or Indian that is even better so we can address diversity.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 4:37 PM

Michael, if you were to ask me about a specific topic I can offer my thoughts.  But as of now, I am in no position to serve on a committee or panel, even online.  I am dealing with an upsurge in health challenges.  

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2020 11:33 AM

Thanks Iris. I do have someone now. Thankyou. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2020 12:24 AM

That's good to know, Michael.  For an in depth view of AD in the African-American community, I can suggest that you and your committee members read the book written by B. Smith and her husband Dan Gasby.  They relate her story as a model, restauranteur and lifestyle maven. They also include research efforts by African-American researchers, such as Dr. David Satcher, the former U.S Surgeon General, and Dr. Goldie Byrd at the Center for Outreach in Alzheimer's, Aging, and Community Health in North Carolina.  B. Smith's story is fascinating.  The name of her book is "Before I Forget."  

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2020 6:36 AM

Thanks so much Iris. I actually know all of those folks and have meet them in person.  I never did read his book. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2020 10:27 AM

I should have known that you were so well connected, Michael.  BTW, B. Smith was a woman; she died earlier this year in February of Alzheimer's Disease.  

Iris

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 2:54 PM

Michael, when your new health committee meets, see if anyone has a plan for PWDs who live alone with no caregiver available.  Some PWDs may have a long-distance family memver to act as caregiver, but many do not.  All the attention is directed towards PWDs with caregivers.  I and other solos would appreciate it if this were brought to people's attention.  

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 4:52 PM

While this is a good point I am not sure it will fit into the agenda. This committee is about how to educate the medical staff. I will bring it up to the chair and let them decide if this should be shared with the rest. Thanks for the input.