RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (133)
Lorita
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 1:57 PM

Hi,

Back again.  Just got back from the mailbox.  Sheena walked both ways and Stormy was determined he was NOT going to walk down - but did walk back.  I came back through the meadow and the walking was easier for them.  We go at about 4 mph - they are still walking at that speed.  The cow/heiefer had gotten up and was back on this side of the pond so didn't go over there.

When I get the mail I leave it in whatever vehicle I'm in for a couple of days before I bring it to the porch.  Yesterday when I picked up the mail I noticed a letter from the County Election Board - wondered what it was but had kind of forgotten about it.  So, this time I brought everything to the porch - opened it and it was my voter registration card.  My printer isn't working so I had to send some form of ID with my mail-in ballot so just sent the card.  Nice that they returned it to me.   Also found a couple of bills I didn't know were there - but they're not due until the 22nd so that's okay.

We have dozens of Bradford Pear trees down the driveway and as I went by I noticed they're loaded with berries? about the size of an English Pea.  Guess I'd never noticed that before - so, do Bradford Pears have those on them? and they have thorns.  That's what caused the flat on the car a few weeks ago - a little branch with a 2" long thorn had stuck into the tire and punctured it.

When I came in the first thing I saw on CNN was that two top officials of Homeland Security had been forced by the WH to resign.  When I was a medical secretary and one of the medical doctors was on leave, the Chief of Medical Service would make rounds and I'd go with him.  He would dictate the discharge summaries while we were out on the wards and do histories and physicals and I'd sit outside the door while he dictated.  Anyway, we'd call it "cleaning house".  Is that what's going on in Washington?

I'll stop and watch The Waltons and have a Pepsi.  It's warm outside - but windy.  Hope this helps to keep us from not losing posts.  I hate when that happens.

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 3:09 PM

Judith, I totally agree with you about Inhofe- he needs to retire.  At least Lankford spoke up finally.

You can put that easel together, Lady.    You are woman-hear you roar!!  If I can put a Baker's rack together you can do this.

Not sure who the ostomynurse is but may be Marvelle.

Gotta go turn off the water I'm running in a tank.  Should put on a float valve.

SQBEAR50
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 3:36 PM

Hi all,

My daughter just told me that Sacramento will go into lockdown as of tomorrow. She's prepared. Not sure if her job will close. They will be fine.

Looks like Vegas is going on lockdown for 2 weeks. Yet they will allow visitors to come in because they need the revenue??? So the locals go on lockdown yet visitors can come? Crazy.

I just hope my uncle's angiogram won't be canceled tomorrow. Way too much pre-op to have this finally done.

Finally made uncle get into the shower today...yeah!! He was really starting to smell. I told him he had to take a shower because he was going to outpatient clinic to have a procedure tomorrow and his body needed to be clean. It worked!

Take care all,

Nicole

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 3:37 PM

We are always learning; that is for sure, no matter how old we are, we continue to learn throughout life.  Having someone important in our lives with issues can ramp things up.  Knowing the whys can be helpful in understanding what makes their dynamics.

One of the diagnoses of concern has information from the Mayo Clinic. It lists symptoms in easy to read detail:  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

Zetta, if you have not yet done it, if you Google, Bipolar Disorder, there is so much information that helps with insight;there are so many sites it is difficult to insert a link for that.   There is BPD Type 1 and Type 2.  I am a firm believer that knowledge is power.  I am further a big believer in that, "I don't know what I don't know," so I am always checking and verifying and learning.

An old friend from 5th grade to after high school just moved back from out of state but in another county.  She has chosen to move into a yet to be finished "affordable" apartment building for ages 62 years plus.  This is completely independent living; no assisted living, no congregate dining room; it is just like a regular apartment building. 

They have no drawings of the layout of the apts., they have no models.  It is an affordable rent apartment which has criteria and they do an entire background search on the applicant, and no one sees the apartment until they sign on the dotted line and move in.  Her place will be a one bedrooom, of 600 sq. feet.  She is moving from her very nice 3 bedroom one story house that she has sold.  She has not seen anything, and she has to sign a one year lease.  Omigoodness; a lease sight unseen; that takes a lot of nerve to do so; I would be climbing the side of the building to see what the apt. looks like.

In this complex of 495 apts., yep; 495, (way too many),she must have 1 1/2 times the rent in income.  The rent for the place is, $1,295/month,  BUT her income cannot go over $53,000 per year or under the 1 1/2 times the rent; if it does at any time she lives there, she would have to move.

Must use a congregate laundry room as one cannot have a washer/drier in one's own apt., that is quite an annoyance when machines are being used and one has to haul laundry even if one is feeling ill or is having a physical issue of some type.  Guess a cart with wheels would be in the offing.  I so hope she loves her little place, I feel a bit nervous on her behalf.  She is on her own; her husband died years ago and her two adult kids are in another state.  I have not seen her since decades and decades ago.  Fortunately she used to live and work in that area she is moving to and has friends  there.   That is a very good thing.

We never know where life will bring us.  She was supposed to move out to California and live with a lady friend she had known in the past and share the house and pay a reasonable rent. That did not work out; a month later and she could no longer stand the issues, so went hunting for a place and found the one as discussed above.  By that time, my knees would be knocking so hard they would sound like castanets.  Geeze.  And her house was sold, cannot reverse course.   How difficult that must feel and worse yet; she took some pieces of good furniture but left everything else, so she now has to rebuild a kitchen and linens, and cleaning supplies electric and otherwise, etc.  Planning and sensibly covering one's back when older really helps.  

Oh no; just saw on news that the White House Corona Virus Task Force has been forbidden to speak to the incoming Biden Team.   Thaat is so important, I will want to verify that.  I take nothing at face value any more.

So hoping that a good vaccine will soon get to our front line workers and responders and to our LOs who are in care facilities; but it will take time.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 4:08 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/covid-vaccine-distribution-undermined-trump-playing-politics-transfer-power-ncna1247305

"The Trump administration, through Murphy, is saying to America: “You didn’t vote for us, so why should we do anything for you? You should have known that the basic functioning of the government would grind to a halt if the president didn’t get his way.”

Frightening what one might do with power and anger. Surely the legislature will find a way to a smooth path.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 5:57 PM

I don't understand.....
Lorita
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 6:48 PM

What did I miss?
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2020 9:49 PM

Huh?  What?  Lucy; 'splain yourself!

Lorita, as to the mask question, here is a link to what CDC just put out as best choice in masks:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc-confirms-masks-also-protect-the-wearer-outlines-which-ones-are-most-effective-205819204.html

At our house, we use two ply well woven cotton masks; the second layer is open at both sides for putting filters in.  We have very tightly woven shop towels that were designed to shut out extremely small micro particles; we cut and put that into the masks in a double layer of filter, so in essence, we have four ply/layer masks.

My friend who is an RN uses coffee filters and cuts them to make filters to insert into her masks.   Our masks are pleated and have nice elastic to go behind the ears and an inside firm bendable piece of some sort that can be pinched to fit the top of one's nose.  The masks were made by a friend's adult daughter and they fit nice and snug from top of nose to under chin and snugly on each side of the face which is such a blessing and so important.  Even with talking, there is no slippage of the mask and no gaps at the sides.

I have noticed that the masks that seem to slip down off the nose for more people are the non-pleated sort of smooth flattish cup-like masks.   That is the type of mask the beautician was wearing when she cut my hair outside on our patio, and it kept slipping under her nose where unbeknownst to me she left it while snipping away at my wild mop for the better part of an hour.  Today was my fifteenth day since the haircut, so I am past that 14 day waiting period.  Good.  Also have noticed quite a few masks with the non-elastic ear pieces seem to not keep the masks snugly on the sides of the face, leaving good sized gaps.  Remember; we need to have a snug fit to keep those extremely tiny particles from sneaking in.

Shields to be effective MUST be worn with a mask.  They will protect the eyes which are a source of infection from viral particles which can come straight at you or that can waft into the shield two or so hours later being carried on a current of air.

Every time the mask is worn, when arriving home, we take off the mask, put it into a small fine mesh bag and wash it in hottest water in the washing machine with detergent of course.  I do not put these in the dryer which would be nice for the heat, but the masks longevity would be compromised.   We dry them by hanging them by their ear pieces on a metal multiple short armed hanger with four arms that is in the laundry room; the masks then are dried in the air since only the ear elastic is arms of the hanger thingie.  Other option would be to dry them lying flat atop the dryer.

We also have a box of four ply paper surgical masks for a "just in case" need.  Should someone need to come into the house for something important like a repair person, we have masks if they do not have one with them (as if) or if something happens to their mask or if their mask will not stay over the nose.  

Geeze, a year ago we never even had such a thing on our rader much less than on our minds. 

NOTE:  Do read the above Mayo Clinic link I placed regarding narcisissm; it is timely.

Well; turns out that it is true that the WH corona virus task force is not to communicate with the elected team.   Have now seen that reported on two regular major channel news reports.    Did you notice - so many cities boarded up shops and restaurants and police were out in force and on twelve hour shifts, no days off - all of this to meet the expected out of control mob disorder following election results.   That did not happen - we did have though, huge crowds of people who went out and cheered and applauded the outcome.  Big difference from lawless expectations and that was heartening.

So very fluctuating weather.   We have been in the low 60's, nights in low 40's; wore socks to bed the other night and put on a long sleeved nightgown.  Now if I could keep my poor nose warm!  DH could sweat in an igloo and heat does not get turned up much at all; and he will insist on sleeping with all windows open in the bedroom - sometimes it is so bad, I go down to a guest room and sleep just to keep from forming icicles on my ear lobes.  Br-r-r; and yet, this is warm compared to where I grew up, so shame on me for being such a sissy. 

Got my new Vermont Country Catalog flannel sheet blanket, it is nice heavy flannel and have to wash it now.   I used to use all flannel sheets on the bed and for pillow cases too but it was not pleasant for DH and in fact, after a bit it was kind of not my favorite either; this works well.  Remember the old hot water bottles people used to put between the sheets to warm them before climbing into bed?  No good heating systems back in the day that were consistent.

It is odd that I hear almost no birds anymore.  They do not fly away for the winter as we are in California; wonder where they all are.  Had heavy, heavy winds blowing like crazy for a couple of days.  Up to 70 mph.  Trees and shrubs blowing sideways and it made fierce sounds going down the side of the house.  I do like the sounds of wind blowing in the eaves of the house though; it sounds like my childhood bedroom back in the UP of Michigan.

Good night for those still up and good morning for those who just checked in,

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:26 AM

Entertaining video; young guy sure has a wonderful voice (not to mention great orthodontia.)   Bit of humor tucked into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKhwZgFxMg&feature=youtu.be

J.

BethL
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:44 AM

Regarding masks, one of my complaints is the loops fall off my ears, unless I get the kind that have adjustable ear loops. For use when I have contact with others that is not prolonged, I use one of the cloth masks with adjustable ear loops. 

For longer contact/closer contact (eye dr. appt, getting groceries), I wear an N95. Our son had some from when he did construction or painting. Recently I purchased N95s that have an antiviral agent in them as well. Here is what they say: 

Respokare® NIOSH N95 Respirator Masks

EXCLUSIVE RETAILER

Our N95 masks were developed to be at the forefront of cutting-edge innovation in personal protective equipment (PPE). Each of these bacteria-fighting masks have four secure layers capable of blocking 95% of small (.3 micron) particles, but inactivates up to 99.9% within minutes. This way, transmission of one (or more than one) human pathogen(s) by antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral activity is markedly decreased keeping you vitally protected. Furthermore, rigorous validation testing has been performed on our antiviral masks to ensure they comply with GLP regulation and can therefore block a wide range of pathogens, bacteria and fungi so you can feel safe and secure when you venture out.

The NIOSH N95 Respirator Mask by Innonix represents the forefront of innovation in personal protective facewear. Unlike other facemasks, this mask not only blocks harmful pathogens but annihilates the micro-particles, leaving zero trace of the virus on the surface of the mask. This allows the wearer to safely remove the mask from their face without risk of contamination to the hands which could lead to viral exposure. 

The secret to this revolutionary facemask technology is in its engineering. The N95 Respirator Mask features a unique 4-layer design which collectively serves to degrade and destroy the structural biology of viral pathogens. Copper and zinc ions cause structural rearrangement in the viral proteins, nucleic acids and lipids; inactivating and destroying pathogens and viruses within minutes. This leaves your mask threat-free and safe for removal by hand. 

The N95 Respirator mask is 99.9% effective at inactivating Coronaviruses (SARS & MERS), Influenza, Measles, Tuberculosis, Toxic Gas, Air pollutants (PM2.5, PM10), Allergens, and other Viruses and Bacteria.  

This is sold to the public and health care facilities as well.  Website: https://n95maskco.com/

Sasue
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:55 AM

Well, surgery cancelled for the third time.  I found out that this would be a 7-8 hour surgery and ICU would be necessary after.  Doctor said that since I’ve had liver transplant I have a compromised immune system and I would have been exposed to Covid patients in ICU.  Not a good idea. Reassess in a few weeks.  So I’m back home waiting for a repairman because my furnace isn’t working and it’s only in the 30’s this morning.

Thank you, Lorita for your concern.  You are a good friend.  We may never meet but have still established a great friendship by phone.  Always enjoy our talks.

Everyone take care, wear masks, stay safe.

Sandy 

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:38 AM

Thank you for the mask information; we are always looking for ways to be as safe as possible for our families and ourselves. I am not a physician nor am I a scientist, so my input comes from reading I have done; you may wish to do your own valid research.

Copper does have antimicrobial properties. Coronavirus can live for multiple days on hard surfaces, but on totally copper surfacees lives only two days.  Still; that is two days which is still a significant amount of time.  It is important to note that the virus MUST come in direct contact with the copper in order to have antimicrobial success.

Ions are not a solid surface; they are microscopic atoms or molecules.

Interesting marketing ad.  The masks are made in Hong Kong; there has been some discussion re possible scamming; I do not know how valid.  Frankly, unless the ads claims are supported by valid agencies testing in the U.S., I would be cautious re the claims.  If the copper/zinc claims are not valid, if the N95 protection is there, then one still has an N95 mask.  To this point, the FDA has not approved any copper/zinc or other metal infused masks; even the ones developed by a physician at Univ. of Mass., whose mask design has an entire layer of copper mesh inside the mask,, not just microscopic ions, has not gained approval.

Here is information from valid sources including information put out from Yale:

"For copper masks to work properly, they need to be made with enough copper to fight viruses. If your mask is only 1% copper, that means it's 99% not copper; if the copper doesn't solidly meet the microbe, the mask "won't confer any more benefit than just regular masks."

It’s true that copper sports antiviral properties, for example, but it would have to be incorporated into every single fiber to fully live up to its potential. And a mask made entirely of copper wouldn’t let you breathe easily through it (violating one of the CDC’s guidelines for buying face masks in the first place). It would also be very expensive. Experts are also currently unsure about the health risks of wearing a copper mask, and how much copper is actually in these antimicrobial masks — there is no standard for ensuring a face mask actually includes copper to any level of effectiveness."

As said, even if  the ion claims are not accurate, if the mask is a valid N95, then one has N95 masks.

It is one more time of caveat emptor; we all are trying as hard as we can to find what protects best, it is difficult, but we continue on doing what is best and adhere to guidelines established through science.

Would it not be great to have a mask that zaps the dickens out of viruses; when that happens, it will be a HUGE market that overtakes everything else.

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:47 AM

Gosh Sandy; I am sorry.   Talk about having emotions up and down as it relates to surgery, this one is really difficult.   I send a big hug your way.

And to top it off, a furnace that is not working in 30 degree temps.  Your poor nose, toes and hands must feel like ice.  Do you have an electric heater to help? 

So hope repairs are done fast and your furnace gets you toasty and warm.   Let us know how it goes.

J.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 9:19 AM

Morning,

Frost on the pumpkin this morning, well, not frost exactly today but it's cold - mid 30s but supposed to warm up to about 60 and a little rain tonight and tomorrow morning, then beautiful weather in the 60s and 70s for a few days.  Guess those are getting fewer as winter gets closer.  At least it's sunny.  Fed Tom and Jerry but didn't go up to see the girls - they're scattered around but will sort of congregate to lounge after while.  Not expecting new babies but you never know.  I had Sally down to calve yesterday but I don't think she will - hope not.  She's always been thin and last year, her first calf, had to be pulled but she was  a really good mother.

I guess I talk about the girls so much because it's the one stable thing I know - they're safe or as safe as I can keep them and the dogs and cats while the rest of the world is so unstable and scary.  Been watching CNN some this morning between doing things and nothing sounds good except the outcome of the election.  Saw last night that Arizona was won by Biden.  We'll see what Lankford does today, Judith.  I saw him yesterday and he said what we heard but then added the caveat about the possibility of Trump winning. Seems like those guys are scared of shadows but I guess it's their livelihood they're scared of losing.

Barclee did all right last night until about 1:30, then couldn't sleep - just kind of turned around and around in circles on the bed.  I put him in the LR and that worked for a while, then he started barking.  Really interrupting everyone's sleep.

So much interesting information about masks - makes your head swim.  I did see an interesting new one on BoomerNaturals.  Sara, you might be interested in it - it's a mask with a shield attached (somehow - don't know if it can be removed) that covers the eyes and almost to the hairline.  I guess the best thing to do is just stay away from people but there are times when that isn't possible.  I had a pair of Charles' lounge pants I thought I'd make a couple of masks from using the legs but its' not very heavy - of course, I'd put in a filter but I have one I made when all of this began plus the other 3-ply ones so guess I'm okay.  I do think I may tack a couple of the 3-ply ones together.  Jo, where did you find 4-play masks?

Beth, you mentioned you had trouble with the loops coming off your ears - I've seen people twist the loops so it makes it tighter on the ears and face -  might try that.

Sandy, I still have mixed feelings about your surgery.  I know it was much safer to not have it instead of being in ICU with those 77 covid patients.  I know you're in pain so just take it as easy as you can.  So glad you have the stair lift - I had forgotten about that.  I meant to ask you last night if Lucy will ride on the seat with you.  I've seen advertisements about the Robo sweeper with the cat riding on it so thought maybe Lucy might ride the stair lift.  So good to talk with you last night.  Is kind of nice that friendships don't have to be in person - like the friendships all of us have made over the years.  We'll talk again very soon.

You know this morning for some reason I've been thinking about one of the secretaries I knew for years.  Almost every time I use a tea bag to  make a cup of tea I'm reminded of a day when several of us were having our break in the canteen.  She was having tea and I remember she took her tea bag out of the cup and somehow twisted the string around it to squeeze out the tea from the bag.  I don't remember how she did it but wish I knew.  I cannot for the life of me remember her name.  I'll have to call Carol and ask her - they were related - cousins I think.  Bothers me when I can't remember things like that - and it seems to be happening more often. Eventually I do remember, thank goodness. The odd thing is that she grew up east of me several miles - did go to a different school so I should remember her name.

I loved the video - he does have a good voice and what he was singing was so true.  Guess that's kind of like many of us feel when we're isolated by ourselves.  I can count the times I've been off the farm in the last nine months on one hand - fine with me - but I wish I had some potatoes. I told that to Sarah yesterday and she said you'll have to start raising your own like we used to - maybe she's right - potatoes, onions and spinach with some tomatoes and eggplants thrown in.  What a life we've been living the last several months with several more to come it appears.

I've been rattling so I'll stop and find something for breakfast.  I've had juice and have my hot tea now.  Again, thinking of ? - almost thought of her name.

I can't believe our Governor hasn't called for a mask mandate - says it's up to the towns.  Muskgee doesn't have one - been voted down several times.

Stormy and Sheena were barking to beat the band so went out to see what the problem was - it was a huge, gray crane standing on top of the pipe over one of the gates.  I hurried back in to get the camera but when I came back out, it flew.  They cannot stand those big birds.  I mentioned there's been a lot of them around lately - I've come to the conclusion they're after the rodents coming in out of the fields to be around the bales of hay to stay warm.  I'm still finding dead rats, I guess, and there's usually two of them - except the one that was on the porch the other morning.  Hate rats and mice.

Back later.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 10:01 AM

Judith, I answered your post about the easel but don't see it on #132.  

You can put that easel together yourself.years ago we bought a baker's rack.  It looked like there was a thousand pieces (maybe 75) so it sat and sat.  I finally got tired of looking at the box so read the instructions and got it together.  Once you get started it's not too bad.  You're a woman you can do anything!!

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 10:41 AM

The easel...it is not complicated but I fear it will take 4 hands because of it's size. I will check.

Because the post I did not understand was removed I assume it said what I hoped it did not. That Is why I asked for clarity.

Jo....talk to me about the 4 ply masks.  I found some in black that I would love to order.

No heat? Not good.

Daughter's foot surgery went well. It was a bone spur on her toe I think. They said they found  lots of arthritis. Jo, can you see arthritis via surgery? 

Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 12:47 PM

Hi,

That's the problem with living  alone, Judith - not enough hands to do everything we want to.   Lots of improvising - but you can do it.

Good that your daughter's surgery is over so she can recover,  Don't know about arthritis in the feet but I surely have Morton's Neuroma - makes my toes hurt sometimes.

Well, I'm glad that's over.  I made the pumpkin-spice muffins with chocolate chips - good, already tried one (to see if it was done enough).  While they were baking I tackled that huge can of pumpkin puree.  I put about 2 cups in each baggie - it made six plus the one I used.  Kind of messy but as it went on it got a little better.  Got them flattened out and in the freezer.  I'll label the baggies after they freeze - should have done that before I filled them. 

Decided since I'd cooked beans yesterday I'd make some cornbread.  It's in the oven now.  I opened the carton of eggs I got last week - one was already bad - it floated like the two I'd been saving for hard times.  So, better check your eggs before you crack them into a batter.  I always put mine in a little bowl and take out the coagulated, white part (I can't remember the name of it - starts with a "C", I think).  Just another of my idiosyncrasies - always have done that.  I don't think I'll buy another big can of pumpkin.  Couldn't find spice cake mixes the last time I ordered so got yellow ones and googled how to turn it into a spice one so next time I'll do that.

Judith, where did you find 4-ply masks?  All I've been able to find is the 3-ply ones.  I have three black masks I ordered several months ago.  They're one ply but thick.  When they came it said they were made in China.  I think I've posted this before.  I wouldn't wear them so washed them twice by hand, then in the washer.  I'm still not comfortable with them.  But, it looks like most, if not all, masks are made in China - even the pretty ones on QVC.  Maybe these black ones will be okay. I've read the virus germ only lives about two days on cloth.  I can just imagine the germs being infused into the material.  This stuff is making me kind of paranoid about things.

Sandy - hope you got your furnace fixed.  I still haven't checked on my stove.  The electric heater in the bathroom takes care of the bathroom and bedroom and if I leave one on in the LR and turn another one on when I get it's pretty comfortable.  As you know I wear thermals and two pairs of socks all winter anyway.  Guess it's time to break out the fleece.

Better go check the cornbread.  The meal I have is really finer than I like but it'll do until I get more.  Maybe I'll have a piece of cornbread and butter for lunch - already had that muffin.

Enjoy the afternoon.

ladyzetta
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 3:51 PM

Hello All,

We are getting Tons of snow I bet we got 6ins already and a lot more is expected. I have some real good pictures to show but until my son gets home I do not know how to send them. He works in Bend and that is 27 miles from home and until he gets his snow tires put on he will be staying with a friend. He has to go over a butte and it is only 400ft lower then the closest pass. They wont let cars go over the butte with out traction devices. Winter has hit us Big Time. 

Lorita,  I have also seen the loops twisted its a smart thing to do. I think I also had a spam telling me the stuff I ordered was delayed. I did not order anything and I do not open anything in spam. It upsets me because everyday and even now I get a lot of e mails regarding the outcome of the election and they need my support. I just delete all of them. I sure wish they would stop and I don't even know why I am getting them. When I use a tea bag I put the bag on the spoon and twist the string around the bag to get the tea out of it. Could that be what you are trying to remember?

The mask are also a puzzle to me I feel they are there to protect you as well as the other people. That only makes sense.

Jo,   Thanks for the advice to check google about Bipolar. I have done that and there is way too much for me to understand and even comprehend. The biggest problem is me I have tried to deal with this before as well as everyone else in our family and now it is back in my lap and its all my fault cause I wanted to help her again. I am not a person with a lot of patience and passion to deal with all the mood changes. I feel sorry for myself even thinking I could do this. She is still here but we have had incidents. But I am still trying.

I have a pizza in my oven  and my house sure smells good. I was hungry for pizza and I just happened to have one in my freezer. Got to Go my timer just went off. YUM!

Stay Warm All  Huigs Zetta ,   

ladyzetta
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 4:04 PM

Yum!   This pizza is good. I got me 2 pieces and a glass of ice tea and I am getting ready for Gunsmoke. 

Sara.   I did make some of that chicken salad and it was real good I never would have thought of putting grapes in it. That was real good and I love grapes. Thanks

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 4:57 PM

The black 4 ply are on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Safety-Layers-Agibaby-Bebenuvo/dp/B0875TRKZ9.....not made in China
Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 5:23 PM

Thanks, just found them as you posted.  I absolutely like the fact they're not made in China.  I may order those, too.

Zetta, all that snow!  I bet it's beautiful.. Are you having big flakes?  Our big flakes are usually at night instead of when you can enjoy seeing them.  Do you have evergreen trees around - I think it's so pretty on them.  But, you can have the snow this year.  Finally did see our winter forecast it is for a relatively dry, mild winter.  I hope that's what happens.

It took me forever to learn how to post pictures so don't give up.  I tried to get a cute one this afternoon.  Went out on the porch and three babies were standing on the other side of the yard fence with Stormy on the inside.  They were touching noses. By the time I got my camera Stormy was on his way back to me.

Our State is not doing well at all with the virus -sure wish the Gov. would respond with a mask mandate. Patsy told me Tulsa hospitals were out of beds and were sending patients to Arkansas and Texas.  She sounds like it's all she can do to even talk.  Sarah sounds the same.  I don't think I can handle losing someone else.

Today wss a ten star day.  When I drove down to see the girls there was no wind, was sunny with totally blue skies just cool enough for long sleeves or a light jacket.  One hour later it was cloudy, cooler with some wind.  There are showers west of us.

Beans and cornbread was good!  When I was talking with Patty she said she thought she'd like beans and cornbread- kind of made me feel.bad.  When she was in the hospital she said thst and I took some to her.

Love pizza, Zetta, and the way it smells when it's baking- it's the oregano you know.  I always put a little extra on them before baking.  I like it with pork 'n beans.  Goodness, sounds like all I eat is beans, doesn't ?

Almost time for World News so I'll stop and let the GPs in and feed them.  Just heard about how they're going to do the Macy's Christmas parade limited to one block.  Sad times.

Amazing how they're now saying wearing a mask will protect the wearer. We knew that, didn't we?

Enjoy the  evening. You know, Zetta, I bet that's how Wanda (finally remembered her name) did it.    I'll try that in the morning.  Thanks.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 6:04 PM

OK....enough...Macy's Parade 1 block....more than I can stand........
Lorita
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:53 PM

Maybe it was a mile but I thought I heard one block.  They will have balloons pulled by vehicles instead of people.  No people watching along the streets. Will have bands, etc.  Going to.be odd.
ladyzetta
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2020 8:59 PM

I just checked it out and The Macys Day Parade will travel 1 block in front of the Macys Store. Sad   
Sayra
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 6:07 AM

Glad you enjoyed the chicken salad Zetta.   Sometimes we have snow by now, other years still warm this time of year.  This year we are having a very nice fall so far.  You are using words that I don’t even really know what they mean lol, ie such as butte and pass.  In Kentucky we had hollers.  A holler is just a narrow dirt road.  We don’t have any words like those here  in North Central Ohio.  They might in southern Ohio.  It has fairly large hills but they are no where near mountains.  Where I live mainly just has flat land or rolling hills.

The place where I get my liners for my masks, Filti.com  has just started selling a NF 95 mask.  They are disposable, made in the USA.  NF stands for nanofiber.  You can Google nanofiber and read up on it.   It is made in the shape of how my masks I’m making now are made and putting the liners in made of the nanofiber.   Have two layers of cotton and two layers of nanofiber .  Is much easier to breathe through than the denim.  Find them very comfortable.  Fifty of their NF95s are around $90 I believe.  You can just buy 20 too.  May buy a few to just have them.  Haven’t decided yet.  Feel the masks I make , if info from company is accurate are pretty close to N95.  Wish I had a way to test it, would be very interesting.  Get a very good seal with the mask I am now making.  As Jo said that is a very important part of wearing the mask.  A young American man started this company fairly recently.  I found the nose bridge strips.  On a mask I tried making that did not fit me properly they made a casing to hold it so that  it is encased and I can remove it and clean it separately.  So I incorporated that into the mask that fits me well.  

We need to remember too that the virus does not walk around, it is easily killed with soap and water.  It’s outer layer is fat, as soap takes care of grease on your dishes it will do the same to corona.  Cleaning surfaces with things that unarm corona is still important.  Not the main way it is spread at all. But, if you don’t keep surfaces cleaned it could allow the load to build up on them.  (You don’t have to be obsessed with it like I was last winter lol).  When touching those surfaces with your hand then touching them to your face, the virus could get in through some of your mucus membranes.  My understanding is that it will not go through intact skin.

The main way of contracting covid as we all know is inhaling it. If you get it or how sick you get has somewhat to do with how much load of virus you receive they think.  This is true for the flu also.  Distancing is the most important part of prevention they say.  Ventilation which you don’t hear mentioned as often is another important factor for decreasing the load.  My understanding is a lot of the larger stores are doing this.  All summer I have raised my windows several hours a day.  Doing this now too.  Turn off the heat, raise a lot of windows for twenty minutes when colder .  They say even five minutes helps so will work with that if we get real cold weather.  A drafty house is in your favor, maybe I won’t get new windows.

Interestingly sars1 was last seen in 2003.  That was 17 years ago and they know that those individuals still have Tcells for it.  They know for corona that people who have had it with time their antibodies are decreasing, except for health care workers.  Theirs is not decreasing.  The assumption for now is it is because they are continuing to be exposed to it.  What they don’t know for sure yet is if those with lessening antibodies have T cells that will recognize it long term. This is what makes T cells important as they are more long term defense.  They know that corona is more like sars1 than the other corona viruses so they are hoping the T cell effect will be the same.  They will continue to look at this and become aware of the answer.  This all gives us hope for light at end of tunnel too.  

Have to remind myself that some exposure is probably not a bad thing as long as the load is kept minimal as that is the only way my body will ever start recognizing it.  

Hope this isn’t too boring.  It helps me to keep reminding myself of the facts.  If it is, please say so and I won’t keep talking about.  Only want to do it to hopefully help encourage and to help stay informed.  Always kept myself informed at work, made me more confident at my job and better able to take care of my patients and myself.  Feel knowledge is valuable as it helps us to see through things better and deal with them better.  

Twenty two degrees this morning, big frost.  

Put a pork chop in crockpot late last night.  Will stick some sauerkraut in there this morning.  Sounds delicious to me, haven’t had it in a long time.

Take care

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 8:28 AM

Morning,

Sara, keep up the good work in keeping us up to date on masks and filters.  For the three masks I made I used two layers of cotton and a filter of interfacing material.  They were pleated - I haven't worn mine but Sarah has worn hers.  I have those 3 ply disposable ones so used the little metal strip from old ones.  I haven't located the N95 masks yet you mentioned, but will.

I feel safe out here away from people.  The nearest houses(2) are a quarter mile away: a single man in one and an elderly couple in the other.  Darwin and his wife are about a mile away- so no one near.  If someone does drive up they stay out of the yard. Bryon will knock on the door, the he goes back to the yard. FedEx delivers and I thank him through the door.  I keep everything on the porch for at least two days, sprayed, then when I open them I wipe things down before I bring them in. The milk and eggs I wiped down really well before I brought them in.

Hadn't thought about ventilation though.  It's raining here this morning.  Found a break and got out to feed Tom and Jerry. Thought the girls might be in the barn but saw them way down in the pastures -  didn't go down but saw most of them. They'll come up later so will see them then.

Why are they having demonstrations for Trump? This isn't nice but I think he has seen his hairdresser- his hair looked totally different in color yesterday.

Talked with Patsy yesterday and she and Jack are still totally in his corner and would vote for him again.  Except they do think he should concede and offer help in the transition.

It won't take long to watch Macy's parade this year, will it?  Sorry, lost my bold print. I'll stop and finish my juice.  Zetta,  I'm going to try the tea bag thing this morning. Probably will have a couple of those muffins, too.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 8:37 AM

Sara, what does KN95 and KF95 mean in referring to the masks?  Did you see the one with the strip you can pull back to eat without removing the mask?

About testing I put on one of my disposable masks, then sprayed it with a very fine water spray.  No moisture at all came through so I thought that would be pretty safe.  If someone is near enough to me to do  that, they are too close.

I think the flowered and print masks are pretty.  Guess they'll become a fashion statement.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 10:17 AM

Masks;

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=27691&publicId=395

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 10:52 AM

Believe KN meets China standards, KF meets Korean  standards.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Rescue mom
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 11:16 AM

Sayra, thank you so much for the post with the info/reminders about how covid “travels,” the inhaling/ventilation issues, etc. it’s very easy to understand (I like straightforward info) and I know you have special expertise. And good common sense.

Also, our chicken salad sounds very alike I’ve long used grapes, and sometime pineapple, with almonds for some crunch. A dab of curry powder is good too.

Florida numbers are going up, although hospitals not so slammed yet. People are absolutely out and about, as am I (but no big crowds or long times) with usual safety measures. Our news has been hugely emphasizing another wave, and how bad it is in Midwest. 

But I had lots of errands yesterday, and was a bit surprised at how many supplies are still plentiful on shelves—which is very good, no hoarding or panic buying, at least yet. There’s even a lot of Purell at normal prices/sizes. Maybe stores learned to handle better? Anyway, so different from a few months ago.

Lorita—many people hear from, treat masks as a fashion accessory, matching with outfits, cause, etc. if we have to do it, might as well have a little fun with it.

Rescue mom
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 11:43 AM

Lorita—when we had cats, they often brought home “gifts” or trophies of mice, rats, squirrels, etc., to show us, and would strut around it meowing like “I am a mighty hunter,”.

The bad part was if a torn-up bloody critter was not totally dead, then revived and ran around inside....at least most of our floors then were terrazzo!

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 3:23 PM

Hi,

So much good information about masks and mask wearing.  Lots of options to consider.  I checked those three black ones I had - they're two thick layers.  I also sprayed one of them with a fine mist and nothing went through.  Maybe they're okay to wear.

Rescue Mom - I've heard of cats doing that but our two outside cats never come into the yard.  Stormy and Sheena won't tolerate anything being in the yard so, it must have been one of them.  Didn't see any injuries on the whatever it was so don't know. 

Decided Stormy and I would go out and check the girls.  They were way down in the pasture so hadn't been able to see all of them.  Didn't wear or take my sunglasses because when we left it was cloudy.  I have to wear sunglasses when I'm in the sun because of too much light getting into my eyes making things dark for a while when I come inside.  As soon as we got in the Gator the sun came out.  Didn't think we'd be gone long.  Got about halfway down and got a text, checked to see what it was, then went on.  It was from Boyd, Karen's husband.  He's in KC and Karen's in Leavenworth National Cemetery.  He goes to see her fairly often and takes flowers and always sends us a picture of them.  Today is her 77th birthday so he had gone. 

Then, the phone rang and it was Carol.  I'd thought about calling her several times this week and just never got the time right.  So, Stormy and I stopped and visited with her about 45 minutes.  She had gotten the picture, too and we usually talk afterwards.  Had a nice visit and reminisced about Karen as we always do. 

The girls were fine - one mom was babysitting and while we sat she got up and all six babies had been with her.  They had all scattered by the time we got among them.  Everyone was okay, just enjoying the .6" of rain we had this morning and the sunshine.  We got back to the carport and the phone rang again.  It was our vet on his way to work cattle this afternoon.  I came on in the house and we had a short visit.  He mentioned that he'll try to pick up Stanley next week end - he's putting out bulls again so guess he'll go to another pasture.  I told him to be sure to  call him Stanley and he laughed - I think he believes I'm nuts but he did say it doesn't take long for them to learn their names - and it doesn't.    He said one of the girls who works at the clinic had told him that her sister and her husband and two of three kids had had the virus.  One little girl didn't get it.  He said they always wore masks when they were out of the house so don't know how they contracted it.  Maybe one of the kids was in school and brought it home.

He asked if I was creeping the calves and we talked about that.  I told him I didn't think I'd buy more creep until I got feed for the girls which would probably be about mid-December.  He said he thought that was about right - he'd been by and agreed with my time frame because there's still a lot of grass - fescue.  Mid December will be here before we can turn around.  I hope it is a mild winter.

I was hungry when I got home so had some more beans and cornbread.  I think I'll freeze the rest of them for later.  Always good to find something in the freezer so you don't have to cook.  I'm about ready for some pasta or rice.  Reminds me:  I was watching a cooking show this morning and they were cooking rice - using the pasta method.  That's the way my sister always cooked rice - like she was cooking pasta and then straining it.  I use the absorption method - not using as much water - bringing it to a boil, reducing the heat, covering and letting it simmer about 15 minutes.  How do you all cook rice?   I found the cutest, bright red, "pot" that can be used in the microwave to cook things.  I think I'll try cooking rice in that.  I got this months ago with something I ordered and thought it was pretty but put it in the pantry and forgot about it.

It's very windy out but it's 76 degrees.  Stormy's worn out so he's asleep on the divan.  Barclee's asleep beside me (he slept all night until about 5 a.m. - got him up to the bathroom and then he went to sleep again).  I got up about 7 and about an hour later heard a loud noise in the bedroom.  He had awakened and fell off the bed.  He does that a lot and I'm afraid he'll break a leg but don't know what to do about it.  If I leave him in the LR he barks - guess I need bedrails for him.

I'll stop rattlin' and drink my iced tea - hot tea in the mornings, iced tea in the afternoons and evening.   Sandy, hope you're doing all right and not in too much pain.  Think about you often.

Back later.

SQBEAR50
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 3:24 PM

Happy Saturday,

My uncle had his angiogram yesterday. 50% blockage so no stents needed. He stayed in recovery for 5hrs. Then was sent home. His nurse did call me to come sit with him as he got a bit aggressive and wouldn't listen to the the nurse, so I sat with him for 2 hrs before discharge.

He was very confused. I'm sure it was the "cocktail" used. Versed, fentanyl and Benadryl. I put him to bed last night around 7:30 pm and he didn't get up until 9am this morning.

I didn't mention yesterday and he seems to be less confused. 

While he was having his procedure I finished up my shopping for thanksgiving. We are now stocked up and ready for the lockdown. 

Vegas governor is not making it mandatory yet but has asked for all to stay home for 2 weeks, if people don't comply and the positive cases go up it will become mandatory.

Nicole

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 4:59 PM

Nicole, glad the angiogram is over and your uncle didn't have to have stents put in.  I bet he's rested today after all that sleep.

Good that you had time to get shopping done and are stocked up.  

You know, if all Governors would give people the option of staying home and complying vs. a lockdown it would probably work.  Something has to be done and at the same time everywhere.  Our 

Governor won't even mandate wearing masks and he was the first Governor to have the virus. It was a mild case but even then they can become long haulers.

It's been a good day here a little rain then sunshine and warmth.   Supposed to.be in the 70s all next week.  I've tested this afternoon but no nap.  Stormy's been sleeping but wakes up at every sound, raises his head and looks around and then back to sleep.  Doesn't want to miss anything.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 8:38 PM

Hi,

Are you all watching what's going on in Washington, DC?

Judith, did you hear if Lankford did anything like he said he would if  
Trump didn't let Biden be in on meetings?