RSS Feed Print
So I have to make a new drawer.
Ed1937
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:06 AM

My wife tried to use the chest of drawers as a toilet. She broke one of the drawers, but the front is OK. I can make the drawer like new. But she's OK. Life is good.
Ed1937
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:06 AM

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:35 AM

The fact that it made sense to her points out how much we do not know about how the mind works. She knew she had to "go" so not incontinent. Did she somehow know that " going" just anywhere was not the thing to do so opted for a drawer that could be shut thus hiding the event?

I am amazed that she could use what looks like a low drawer. If you fix it will she try again?

Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:40 AM

I am beyond hugely impressed that you can make a drawer! I wish you lived nearby, this would be a skill of high value to me.

What’s scary is that I kind of understand her “logic” —after the fact. I could not have predicted it, but I think I can see what she was thinking....

Joe C.
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:46 AM

Ed, You have an amazing outlook on life. It’s great you can repair the draw, I lack that skill set.
Rick4407
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 11:51 AM

Ed I've been lucky so far and avoided these issues though it has been close on occasion.  It may help to have very low light in the bedroom and indirect soft lights in the bathroom.  (We have lots of LED night lights throughout the house to avoid falls at night for both of us.)  Rick
Dreamer Lost
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 9:43 PM

Ed, I'm sorry your wife has reached this milestone but very glad she wasn't hurt.  Yes, things can be repaired or replaced so why get upset about them.  Dh has broken many things around here also but the more he advances the less material things matter to me. It looks like a beautiful chest of drawers so impressed you can fix it.  I definitely need you around here. 

Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:08 AM

Hey, just another day at the office. Right? If the front of the drawer would have broken I wouldn't be able to fix it. You can't tell from the picture, but it has some curves on it (giving it depth) that I couldn't duplicate. The rest is fairly easy.
abc123
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 9:12 AM

I'm glad she wasn't hurt.
billS
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 1:50 PM

So sorry Ed, but you apparently have the patience of a saint!
eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 1:52 PM

I am so glad that she wasn't hurt. Goodness the dresser could have tumbled on her. Phew. As for making the drawer, I'm glad you can do that. I'm afraid that is beyond my skillset.

eagle

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:23 PM

Oh, Ed.  I can only imagine her being startled when the front of the drawer fell of and how stunned you must have been seeing what happened.  Somewhere in her mind, she was in the right place for what she needed to do.  She tried.

It is good that it is an easy fix as the front is still intact.  Small favors mean a lot sometimes.   You are amazing in all you do and how on top of things you are.  It appears you have taken this in stride and I sure do salute you.

Now Ed; let's not have any trouble with your drawers . . . . .

Grin.

J.

Liz B
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 10:49 PM

Hi Ed. Is it possible that a bed alarm would alert you to the fact that your DW is on the move? Then perhaps you could intervene and gently guide her in the right direction. Or maybe it's time for a portable toilet close to the bed.

I have a few nightlights leading from our bed to the bathroom, kind of like a landing strip! My DH was a pilot so that is our story - the landing lights guide him to and from the bathroom. May not last, but it works for now! Don't be afraid to think creatively!

Ed1937
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 6:57 AM

Liz B wrote:

Hi Ed. Is it possible that a bed alarm would alert you to the fact that your DW is on the move? Then perhaps you could intervene and gently guide her in the right direction. Or maybe it's time for a portable toilet close to the bed.

Hi Liz. I have a portable toilet for night use near the bed, and night lights. But she became confused a couple of times during the day, went into the bedroom, and used it for a little more than urinating. Both times that wound up being a mess all over the bedding and our clothes hamper, which I had to replace. So now I take it out of the bedroom during the daytime. What a difference that made. It's been working well, but I need to know what she is doing behind closed doors. 

We do have a bed alarm, and it works well. I need to know when she gets up at night because she is a fall risk. But all in all, life is good.

Jo, no problem at all with my drawers. Hers has always been a problem.

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 9:26 AM

Ed; you have given me my first chuckle of the day,

J.

CaringMate
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 11:50 AM

Ed, that you and the people who are sharing on this site can do so with humor is a testament to what amazing humans dementia caregivers truly are.  My experience with misplaced urination didn't go quite as well as yours, but it allowed me to take a step back from the stress and realize that no matter how educated and informed we are about this disease, we will never truly understand what is going on in the mind of the afflicted.  Towards the end of my journey, my partner did not, or was unable to understand what a toilet was for.  He rarely made it to the bathroom, but he discovered our kitty's litter box and would on occasion do his business there.  Sometimes he made it to the box, sometimes not, but he always seemed to try.  In the end, a litter box made more sense to him than the bathroom and I just did the best I could without judgement or anger.  My journey with this disease is over, but I could write a book on the experience and the lessons learned.  I have followed most of your postings Ed and you are truly a unique and wonderful man.  Your wife is blessed to have you!