RSS Feed Print
Camera recommendations?
Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:17 PM

I'm thinking of getting a camera to put in our bedroom, so I can stream what she's doing in there when she closes the door. When we had that mishap with the chest of drawers, I want to make sure she is not doing something unsafe.

What I'm looking for is a camera that does not require a subscription, and is secure. A few of the brands I've seen that were said to be good are Nest, Blink, Arlo, and Honeywell. I prefer something that will permit two factor sign-ins. Any ideas?

Wish2Roam
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:39 PM

Ed, no help here on your specific question, but something I experienced to be aware of.  My cameras (2) are part of my home security system.  The indoor camera is mobile, so I put it in the bedroom for the same reason you stated.  But, DH unplugged it, not once but 5 times. I tried different places in the bedroom and he kept unplugging it.  So, I would need a concealed camera I guess.  DH also closes the bedroom door....and, of course, he has long conversations with 'the guys' in the bathroom mirror.  He also spends a long time every night organizing his clothes.  This is a man who never cared about clothes.  It's interesting how he is so observant of some things, and so totally oblivious to others. 

Interesting, I set the camera up in the living room, in plain sight, and he's not even aware it's there.  

Good Luck with your search.

Cathy123
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:45 PM

Hi Ed! We have the Blink cameras. I orig bought them for outside but recently brought them indoors. The system is without subscription. The only costs are the batteries needed for the high usage areas. Ours only records 60 seconds and resets in 10 seconds. The black cameras have a setting where I can turn off the light inside the camera. The white cameras don't have that option so I blocked that light with white duct tape. I can use the restroom and watch my hubby now. I can talk to him thru the cameras too.  It works for us.

amicrazytoo
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 4:07 PM

Ed, I have a Ring Doorbell and several Alexa's around the house. I did get two ring cameras to set up inside the house, one in the bedroom. It has a great wide-angle. The other one I have never set up. Reasonable price, no subscription required, but I did opt for some cloud memory, but even that was reasonable. Will she know it's there? It does have a blue light when recording and a red light at night for recording. I put black electric tape on it so it is not seen. It can be used to speak back and forth through the app or Alexa. Good luck!      

Rmb139
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:47 PM

I recently put 2 blink cameras each near outside doors. Absolutely love them. DH doesn’t even notice them. I put camera near another object with plug near by.  It can be set up to alert you when they are near it and sends message to your phone.  I can also just check in which I live. It has been wonderful.  Can also move to other rooms.
shardy
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Installation, set up, security, no monthly fees, motion detection if wanted, price (approx $25), (plus micro card $7) ability to easily save any recording you wish, and share, or not.. Check in on your phone or any Alexa system, !ook back  three days....

I always recommend Wyze. 

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:07 AM

Thank you very much for the replies. I would be interested in a little more information for each of the cameras you noted. I have 5 questions, if you would care to respond.

1. Does the camera offer 2 factor verification?

2. Is there an option to use it without using the cloud?

3. Will it stream in real time to an app?

4. Are subscriptions required?

5. Do they have the ability to activate it remotely, through an app?

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:14 AM

Here is a good article on security for the Wyze, but it probably can  be applied to any of them. https://thesecuritycameraguy.com/can-wyze-cameras-be-hacked-and-how-you-can-stop-them/#:~:text=The%20short%20answer%20is%2C%20yes,you%20have%20or%20could%20buy. 
amicrazytoo
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 11:08 AM

Regarding the RING system.

1 - It's been so long since I have had to login, I don't honestly remember.... I would hope so, just about every app uses 2 factor. I have it on my ipad and Samsung cell phone, I don't have to login each time I start the program.

2 - Yes

3 - Yes

4 - No

5 - Not quite sure what you are asking here, the units must be set up and on the app, but only activates when it senses motion.

Good luck with what ever you go with, your comfort level of setting up and using should come first and foremost.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 12:51 PM

I would check baby monitors.

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:32 PM

Jill, that answered my questions. Thank you.
Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:34 PM

Judith, that's too easy! Thank you.
shardy
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 10:37 PM

I think you will find most things hackable, and baby monitors easier than others. Baby monitor is the only thing my fami!y has ever had hacked.

If you are stressed over the possibility of someone watching you perhaps a camera is not for you.  Though I am at a loss to offer another suggestion. Good luck.

Ed1937
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 6:36 AM

Shardy, I'm not stressed about being hacked. Just want to do reasonable things to not leave the door wide open for strangers to enter. Whenever someone wants my birth date, how long it's been since I had an accident, if I've ever been arrested, or other personal information, I just tell them they could save a lot of time by asking Google. So I'm not stressed, but don't want to be stupid either.
mommom9
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 2:44 PM

Hi. Regarding the blink. I have 2 cameras and an app on my phone. I arm and disarm cameras on my phone. My phone beeps like a message when DH passes camera. Can use real time. I love them. I don’t have it on the cloud
Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 7:04 PM

Thank you for the replies. I ordered one last night.