RSS Feed Print
Anyone else see this symptom?
Jazzma
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 4:05 PM

My DH was diagnosed with Alzheimer's three years ago and is showing most of the usual symptoms.  However, he has one I've not heard of -- when I show him a new picture (e.g., something from the news that day or from Facebook) he claims he already saw it, usually yesterday.  He's certain of it.  Not argumentative, just certain.  Has anyone else seen this?

aod326
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:37 PM

Hi Jazzma. I noticed you'd put this in another post, and nodded my head knowingly! Yes, DH went through several months of this. Originally, before I really got the hang of dementia communication, I'd say "you can't possibly have seen that, it just happened". He'd also be convinced he'd seen new episodes of a Netflix show that we hadn't seen.

I finally realized that all I could do was say "oh really? I haven't seen it".

Around the same time he started to point out people on the TV that he'd met (supposedly). One was Joe Biden and for a while he would tell the story of how he met Joe Biden - twice! - on almost a daily basis. I feel a bit sad that he's now at the point where he has no concept of Joe Biden, his buddy, being President.

Good luck.

French
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 7:36 AM

Last Saturday was my daughter's graduation ceremony. On Thursday I remembered and I said out loud "yes, it’s in 2 days, it's November 14". My companion replied "well yes, it's the 14th I remember". Not only did he never know that it was the 14th but even before he never remembered the dates. I was the calendar. And often in conversations I hear him answer as if he knew, remembered, even talk about something he never even knew, saw or heard. I think it's hard to lose the memory of your past, so to stay in the loop, the solution is to invent a past with the present. 

Even if it’s difficult Or sometimes shocking for us to hear them « lying » eventually with other people... but it’s certainly better to let it go, hoping that people will understand.

Rescue mom
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 8:45 AM

All the time. DH more often than not has “already seen it” although that would be impossible, OR vice versa—he says he’s never seen something he sees daily. 

It really doesn’t matter. I just nod, and say ok, or something similarly vague.

ElaineD
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 5:24 AM

Now I understand why DH always says 'yes, I know' to everything!

I'm so used to sharing stuff with him, but now he just claims to already know and doesn't want a 'discussion'.

I miss the adult who used to discuss things.  He's gone, I guess.

ElaineD

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 6:04 AM

Elaine, this used to drive me crazy with my DH. He’d say yes, or yes I know, to anything. It was only if I pursued discussion I realized he had no idea what he was talking about. It caused others —who usually just accepted his agreement—great confusion and sometimes problems, because they though, reasonably, he knew what he was talking about or could do what he said. It took some follow-through (which likely in casual passing conversation) to know that agreement or yes did not always mean that. I also miss the days of debate and real answers, but now I know they are really gone.
JoseyWales
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 4:40 PM

DH does the same thing. We drive somewhere - he's seen those cars before. Someone walking on the sidewalk? They were walking that way the last time we drove by. I just respond with "oh, how strange" or "you have a great memory to remember her".

The one that bothers me is when we're watching a movie and he says, "We watched this before". And then keeps asking me if I remember it, and why do I want to watch it if we've seen it before. When we haven't. When he gets stuck on that we usually have to turn the tv off. I can't tell you how many movies I've seen the first 15 minutes of, but have no idea how they end.

M1
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 8:26 PM

Our experience is just the opposite, my partner doesn't remember any shows we watch. We'll put on AFV every Sunday night for example and she'll say, "Oh good, we haven't watched this in ages." Does the same thing though with housecleaning, wants to vacuum and dust every day because it hasn't been done in weeks. Mostly harmless...
DWck
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2020 6:37 AM

My DH does this all the time. While watching a new episode of a TV show we always watch he says he’s seen it before and shows we have seen previously he doesn't remember. I used to try to reason with him until I learned you can’t reason with a person with dementia. Now I just say OK and keep watching. This strategy works for many other things as well to lessen our frustration and keep the peace.
CStrope
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 6:58 AM

I'm just starting on this journey, but I get what you're saying.  I think that my DH agrees to things to try and "cover up" what he doesn't remember.  I'm sure at some point he'll start getting creative with what he does remember!  

aod326 I think it's awesome that your DH has these ideas that manifest into stories.  I wish I had met Joe Biden.....even if it was make believe!  For now I would try and enjoy his creative stories and think about the fact that somehow his mind decided to express his thoughts through them.