RSS Feed Print
How To Save Money On Assisted Living Costs
Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 8:58 AM

From U.S. News and World Reports:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/save-money-assisted-living-costs-154033777.html

Ed1937
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:33 AM

Jo, thank you for the thread. It's not often we see threads on how to save money for care.
Joe C.
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:34 AM

Good article. The one comment I have is the prices they quote ($3,600 - $4,000) are for pretty independent individuals in AL not for someone with dementia in a MC facility. Cost for MC in my area range from approximately $8,000 - $12,000 per month depending on accommodations and level of care.
Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 11:59 AM

While some of the good hints can be translated anywhere; this article was discussing generic assisted living and not memory care.  

The costs are dreadful; even if only 4k a month, (not that low in our area), that is still $48,000 a year basic costs only; 7,000 month = $$84,000 for the year; just for living space and not all other needs outside of that.  If the cost is, $10,000 a month which is more and more what is seen, that is a mind numbing, $120,000 a year just for basic apartment costs; no extras.  Not inclusive of course of other unrelated costs of  doctors, meds, clothing, insurance co-pays, etc., etc.  The mentioned costs for ALF are for basic "rent" only; not for other service needs at the ALF that will indeed raise costs; only a matter of time.

AND . . . . that is only for one person; not a couple - an additional person also raises costs.   Truly sad and often beyond the reach of many.  So many if not most ALFs do not contract with Medicaid and even if they did, many people will not qualify for Medicaid but yet cannot afford the significant costs of the ALF.

The entire system could use a big time overhaul, but what would that look like and how would it be done seems to be an unanswerable question . Guess we should not hold our breath waiting for such a thing to happen.  If does also raise the spector of the future - if we live long enough, we too shall enter such dilemmas as our needs become greater.    Dread thought, but it is the reality.

Any helpful hints on lowering costs are good, so that is appreciated.

Also an issue in ALFs is how fast they are to acceept a new resident to keep their rooms/beds filled; but also, how fast they are to ask a person to leave or even evict them if they are a problem or if their needs are seen as too great to accommodate their level of staffing.   I have seen that dynamic happen more than once and it happened in our family.  If one is in a setting that has various needs levels, such as, ALF, MC and NH; then as long as one can continue to pay privately, one has options. If the setting is ALF only, then that causes more problem issues if one must change their living level.

When getting information, when being screened, when promises are made, when costs are being discussed, I would not trust the marketing person who handles all of this as the final voice.  Their very job and often financial incentives depend upon them keeping the rooms filled; never mind the person not being able to stay.  I would want to visit with the facility CEO and get information and answers from that person; and of course; get everything, everything in writing and save all brochures, etc. where they make statements about the services they promise to provide.  If there is ever a reason for legal action, these are all important bits and pieces; we have experienced just that and I was so glad I kept the floridly promising brochures.  That made a difference.

J.

Donr
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 5:17 AM

Thank you for posting.