RSS Feed Print
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
Wish2Roam
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 12:55 PM

So DH with FTD fails to recognize his own reflection in the bathroom mirror.  All went well for a while with long conversations with the reflection he believed was the neighbor.  Next, the reflections seemed to multiply and he was talking to 'the guys'.  Then he had a falling out with one of 'the guys' and punched the mirror. I had to evict all of them and cover the mirror.

Today, he has discovered there's a mirror in the other bathroom and I almost fell off my chair when I heard him talking to his reflection.  I can't discern what he is saying because it's very low and almost like muttering.

Do you all think he is just starved for male company? It's just the two of us all day.  Is it time for a Memory Care Facility so there are other 'guys' he could talk to?  Or would I just spend a pile of money and he'd still be talking to the mirror?  I also thought of trying a day at a local Adult Day Care, but our CoVid cases are sky high here and it seems like inviting trouble when I've tried so hard to protect both of us for the past 8+ months?

He is on Trazodone (100 mg) and Serequel (50 mg) mainly for sleeping as he makes several pilgrimages to the refrigerator every night.  The meds work about every other night.

Any thoughts? Am I just being unrealistic?  What's so ironic is I see myself everywhere I go in the house.  I had no idea there were so many mirror / glass surfaces in the house. Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving to all those in the U.S.

Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:00 PM

Its a well known psychosis DW had it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrored-self_misidentification

https://www.jneuropsychiatry.org/peer-review/the-mirroredself-misidentification-delusion-neuropsychiatry.pdf

Wish2Roam
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:25 PM

Crushed, thank you.  So, it's likely not the result of DH needing male companionship / friendship.  You said your DW 'had' it, past tense.  How long, and did it just go away by itself?

Did she take any medication for it?  

Thank you for all your helpful information and Happy Thanksgiving.

Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 4:13 PM

Wish2Roam wrote:

Crushed, thank you.  So, it's likely not the result of DH needing male companionship / friendship.  You said your DW 'had' it, past tense.  How long, and did it just go away by itself?

Did she take any medication for it?  

Thank you for all your helpful information and Happy Thanksgiving.

The psychosis and related wandering were major reasons DW went into memory care.  Any reflection could "set her off" in unpredictable ways.  She would say the image was her only friend and would go "looking for her" or it would frighten her and she would run away.  I had mirrrors removed from the house.   She would use anything to find a reflection. 

In memory care she would try to find reflections in windows or shiny appliances.  It lasted about a year until she no longer recognized anyone.  about 7 months in I took her out for a day to the Marriott hotel for our anniversary . they covered all the mirrors and she had a very nice day. Coming down we were in a different elevator that had mirrors.   She "panicked"  and it was quite a job calming her down.

Wish2Roam
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 4:58 PM

Crushed, I'm so sorry you had to go through that experience but thank you for sharing.  I understand about looking for the reflection.  DH will stop in the middle of eating to go to the bathroom to talk to the mirror, almost like he's driven to find that reflection.

I know I'm likely looking at placement, but am trying to hold off until the pandemic is more under control, if that's not a pipe dream.  For a couple of reasons, one the risk and the visitation restrictions, and, of course, financial reasons if DH lives for many years yet as the neurologist predicts.  His brain is damaged but physically he's strong and healthy.  How the two can co-exist is a mystery to me.

Thank you & Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.

mrl
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 7:10 PM

Wish 2- Please hang in there ….this is all "normal" when its over the pain is even worse..

M

Dreamer Lost
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:31 PM

Wish2Roam, my Dh went thru that phase also.  I try to put tv shows with male characters Dh can relate to, like "Last Man Standing" and "Man with a Plan".  He seems to enjoy them.  Some older guys I think enjoy the westerns but my Dh is only 62 so doesn't really relate to them.  My Dh also takes Trazodone (150mg) and Seroquel at night but sometimes I add 6-9mg of melatonin also. We eat an early supper around 5:30pm and I've found if Dh doesn't fall asleep easily I give him a protein shake or snack in bed.