RSS Feed Print
4am and Issues
CareGiverWife
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2020 5:09 AM

My husband has Mixed Dementia.   The last few weeks he has been waking me up at 4am.  Examples of what he says and does:

1.  “I can’t find my shoe can you look under the bed?”   -   I heard him shuffling around in the living room while I was looking under the bed.  When I saw him sitting at the dining room table both shoes were under the table.

2. “How long do we have to stay in jail?”   -  I was half asleep and though he asked me how long we live in the house.  When I said “21 years” he relied “that long!”

3.  “ There is a pile of t-shirts that need to be washed.”  -  I told him just before we went to bed that I was doing th wash in the morning.    I told him “I am doing the wash in the morning.”. He replied “it is the morning.”  I said “at a reasonable hour so wear the colored t-shirts instead of the white ones.”

He is obsessed with white t-shirts and won’t wear anything else.  I heard of sundowners but this is 4am has me baffled.   Any ideas about all this?  Need input before I go off my rocker!.

Wish2Roam
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2020 9:21 AM

My DH also went through a phase of waking up at 4 a.m.  He would gather up several odd things, wrap them all in a towel, and open the front door (setting off the security system).  When I'd ask where he was going, he'd say...."I'm going with the guys".  It's pitch black and in the low 30's here at that hour of the morning. So, I'd get him back to bed and proceed to drink a gallon of coffee.  His Neurologist prescribed Seroquel at bedtime and, fingers crossed, he's slept all night the past 3 nights.

CareGiverWife
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2020 3:42 PM

@Wish2Roam Thanks for sharing your story.  Glad to know I am not alone.
Rick4407
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2020 6:10 PM

I give my DW 25 MG of seroquel about 9 AM and about 4 PM.  It's subtle sedative effect keeps me sane.  She goes to bed at 6  PM and sleeps until 7-8 AM.  I have time to use the computer, take care of finances, and just relax.   She's been on it for 18 months now. She lives in a constant delusional state, people here, missing the school bus, papers to prepare, etc.  But with the relaxing effect she can be diverted quite easily.  Seroquel and a small dog that she adores are allowing me to make it through this for the last 4-5 years.  Rick