RSS Feed Print
A thread for light moments? Share yours!
janeymack
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:10 PM

I've been doing some DIY projects and have the aching back and neck to show for it. So, last night, moments after ordering a mushroom, pepperoni, and onion pizza from the local market/deli, I wanted to take a quick soak in the hot tub before dinner, so I asked DH if he could go pick it up. (just a mile from our house). He said sure (he's EOAD stage 5). He still drives to do local errands, but has trouble shopping. Well, he was gone quite a while, but returned with TWO large cheese pizzas. He told me he knew we only ordered one pizza, but someone had placed an order and listed two names, one being our last name. I'd left my first name only when I ordered. My poor husband argued with them for a bit, but gave in and left with the two pizzas, plus a blueberry pie and a dozen donuts!
Joe C.
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 4:52 PM

The the other day DW is watching TV when a reoccurring commercial comes on, DW say “I don’t know what wrong with that women”, when asked what she means she replies, “Every time I see her she is wearing the same dress”. We have to laugh when we can.
Ed1937
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 6:11 PM

Those are funny! Did you ever consider that pizza place might have a "best business practices list"?

“Every time I see her see is wearing the same dress”. Only a woman would say that. Men would never notice. That's not what they look at.

Sondak6
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:24 PM

While going through the daily ritual of attempting to assess which year DH was living in I asked him what the year was..he seemed amused as he answered  "its 2014...dont you know what year it is?"
Victoria2020
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:42 PM

I'm at a loss to find this a lighter moment. The distance, a mile, doesn't matter- the point of impact from an accident is inches - metal into metal , metal into a body(ies).

Another poster recently also had their spouse make a short market run - accident- car totaled- police involved.

How could a PWD describe the accident to the police? Insurance company? How could you explain it to the family or person who was hurt or killed for convenience? What's the store's delivery charge 5 bucks? Life is that cheap?

I've lost a relative to an impaired driver. Deads dead. It wouldn't have mattered if they were delivering 500 pizzas to a soup kitchen. 

star26
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 12:18 AM

Last week my 90 yr old father with Alz & VD was talking on the phone with his 85 yr old friend. As usual, they were comparing their various physical ailments. Then I heard my Dad say “But my vision is great! I can read with binoculars!”
jdmg1
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 5:47 AM

Omgosh, Star26, that was FUNNY!  I can read with binoculars.....classic!
Joe C.
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 6:40 AM

Janeymack, I absolutely love the intent of this thread. Very sad that some people want to rob us of the little joy we find in our journey.
Katy sue
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 7:20 AM

One day I got into the car parked in the driveway and DH got into the passenger side. As I started the engine I glanced over at the neighbor couple who were playing in their yard with their 3 year old. I noticed the mom’s belly was quite plump and , surprised, I exclaimed as I swung my head to the right to face DH, “ Ohhhh...is she pregnant again?!!!”. DH, with a look of total surprise exclaimed, “I don’t know!!...I didn’t bang her!!!”. We laughed so hard and for days after on that one! Later that summer she delivered a beautiful baby boy and named him Thomas...my husband’s name...just a coincidence lol!
jdmg1
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 7:28 AM

That is hysterical, Katy sue!
Ed1937
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 8:16 AM

I posted about this before, but we have new members since then, so I'll post it again:

I awoke one morning with the song "Sylvia's mother" stuck in my head. I have no idea why, because I haven't heard that song in decades. But I couldn't remember who had the song, so several hours later I asked my wife "Who had "Sylvia's mother"? She immediately replied "Sylvia's father".

Paul&Me
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 9:57 AM

My husband's footsteps, since advancing in AD, had become slower and louder. There had been times he attempted to sneak up behind me, but I heard him and greeted him. He would make a comment that he wished he could sneak up on me. In the last few days he has been able to get right behind me without me noticing, usually while I was washing dishes at the sink. I made a comment like "You must be proud of yourself!" and he agreed, wholeheartedly. He must have concentrated on being quieter.
piozam13
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 10:29 AM

DH leafing through  initial pages of a book he just bought said,  'I have something to share.  Like to know 3 rings in marriage? engagement ring, wedding ring and suffeRING.  
I don't know whether this belongs here or not.  

janeymack
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 1:57 PM

Thanks for sharing. I have another-a bit long. My husband is a die-hard Patriots fan and the only team he watches is Patriots games. He always asks me to check when the game is on and re-asks me several times on the days leading up to a game. The games automatically record on our DVR. A few weeks ago, they had an undefeated record this season and that Sunday's game was scheduled for very late afternoon. I came into the house around 2 p.m. and he was already watching. I asked who was playing. He said, "Patriots. That's the only team I watch." I looked at the screen and he was watching the previous week's game! I told him it was last week's game, but he insisted that it was "today's game", so I let it go knowing the "new" game would be automatically recorded to our DVR and he could watch it later. Well, no matter how much I reminded him, he insisted that he'd already watched the game and would not watch it. They lost that night, their only loss this season, and he still has not watched the game. Every few days he announces that they haven't lost a game this season! When he watches the pre-game programs they always mention the ONE loss, but it doesn't register with him. That's a true Pats fan, I guess. They just can't lose, even when they do!
abc123
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 6:01 PM

I was sitting with a friends Mom who had dementia and she’s crabby to boot! I turned on the TV for her at the perfect time, it was the very start of her favorite program. I said, Look Margarita! Gun Smoke is on! She replied, No sh-- Dick Tracy!!!
TeriLee
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:40 AM

I don't know if this is is a light moment. It was certainly costly. He ended up throwing his dentures in the trash can beside his bed. And yes,,,,the dentures apparently went to the dump.

Lesson learned.....check the trash before I throw it out.

jb crick
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:33 PM

Well, in keeping with the driving discussion, I'll recount my story. I knew it was getting to the point that Anne would no longer drive; certainly by herself. Toward the end I would let her drive but I always kept my grip on the hand break on the center console. And I only let her drive around the neighborhood, never out on the main roads. That seemed to satisfy her "need to feel independent".  A few trips around the block and she was happy... I think she realized she was having problems.

So, she hadn't been out driving with me for probably a month, maybe more, when one day she asked if she could drive. Reluctantly I said OK and gave her the keys. She got in put the key in the ignition, but couldn't get it to start. Told her she had to hold her foot on the break. So she would touch the break, release her foot and turn the key, nothing. We both laughed at the her coordination issue. After several attempts explaining the process, she finally got it started, at which point I pulled up on the hand break.

She couldn't shift into reverse, same problem, couldn't coordinate foot peddle with shift lever. She finally looked at me dumbfounded and said she had become a real "spaz" and again we both laughed. I asked if she would prefer me to drive instead. She laughed again and said yes, that I would be the driver and she would be in charge of the radio. She gave up her keys without a fight and never asked about driving again.

And that's the way it remained. I drove and she had the radio controls and was happy to just look out the window, play music, tap her feet to the beat and hold my hand.

Mike&BrendaTX
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:06 PM

I've been sitting around with my wife in the memory care center for about a month now.  I feel bad for the residents, but it can be entertaining.  The other day one of the residents who is always trying to get through the password-coded locked door says to the nurse, "Can you push the button and let me out?"

Nurse:  Not right now, dear.

Resident:  But I only want to go out to see my Mother.

Nurse:  Your mother's at work right now.

Resident: (snorts) My mother never worked a day in her life!

Nurse (to me):  Well, that one didn't work.

Another time one of the ladies was in the TV room and removed her slacks, leaving only her diaper on.  Another lady resident marched over and said indignantly, "How dare you?  We don't allow hot pants in here!" and started ripping at the diaper.  Fortunately, caregivers stepped in before further damage was done.

Mike

jdmg1
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 7:12 AM

Good one, Mike!
janeymack
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:51 AM

Keep them coming! No one noticed that I added a shot of Bailey's to my morning coffee while I prepped the turkey, lol. I raise my mug to all of you and toast to your friendship, resilience, kindness, loyalty to your loved ones, and to keeping a sense of humor through today and every day. Happy Thanksgiving!
60 falcon
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:21 AM

After helping DW with her shower and getting her dressed, I picked up her hair brush and she said it was time for me to scrape her.  I she'd if she'd meant brush her hair...I laughed and so did she.
Lakhota
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:10 PM

Yesterday we went to see our PCP for the DW and as soon as they open the door to the waiting room the scale is right in the hallway. So the nurse and I help DW on to the scale fully dress with shoes too and then the nurse states “115 good”.  As the we help DW off the scale she says “Shoes don’t count”.  The nurse and I just laughed and agreed!

What’s even better is DW is in late stage six and this time last year the only weighted 104. This year we have gained a pound or two just about ever time we have seen the PCP.  I don’t know what we are doing but we’ll keep doing it.
jdmg1
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 7:50 AM

That is so sweet and endearing.  We ladies always know that "shoes don't count" lol.
Paul&Me
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 4:39 PM

A couple of weeks ago we heard on the news about the e.coli found in Romaine lettuce grown in Salinas, CA. Sometimes my DH gets upset that people don't understand the way he does and he growls out loud. This time: "They have had trouble with that Romaine lettuce for 2 years it seems like! Why don't they just stop making it?!?!"

I had to not chuckle like I wanted to. I did carefully explain that the problem is sanitation or ground water contamination near the fields, and not the lettuce itself. I assured him that "they" would fix it.

LadyTexan
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 6:01 AM

I’m groggy. I read the topic titles and was confused by Thanks for breathing witches. Upon closer inspection, it’s Thanks for Birthday Wishes.
Sally1953
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 9:40 PM

Running errands today, Roy Orbison singing ‘Pretty Woman’ comes on. My DH knows exactly when to roll his R’s as Roy growls in the chorus. Not a big deal to most - but it made me smile and made my day! It doesn’t take much!!
Lorita
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 7:54 AM

Love Roy Orbison and all of his songs, especially Roy Orbison.  When I first met Charles he reminded me of him- dark-framed glasses with the dark tint.  We went to see him in concert years ago and what a good show - everyone loved him.  How sweet that your husband can roll his r's with him.
Crushed
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:06 AM

I think I've told this before but it was really funny.  2016 We are in Kruger national park in our bungalow. Kitchen and eating is outside on the porch.  Routine is you go out in the morning see animals, come back eat lunch and sleep in the middle of the day and then go out in the evening again.  

I'm making lunch outside DW walks out wearing nothing but a T shirt.  "hello?" I said.  DW says "I thought you might like some sex"after lunch" I said.   "Ok" she says and sits down to eat. I race inside  get her patio dress and put it on her and told her it would keep her warm.

jdmg1
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 10:17 AM

You all are cracking me up!
Ernie123
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 7:42 PM

Watching the news last week with DW, who is in early stage 6 who and has lost awareness of her condition. A feature story came on about a man grappling with Alzheimer’s, the challenges to his family, etc. I was watching closely and sadly identified with most of the issues: the paranoia, anger outbursts, arguments about showers and hiding hearing aids.

When it was over DW turned to me and said: “My, that must be awful. Aren’t we lucky we both have such good health!”

jdmg1
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:01 PM

Omg, Ernie123 that was priceless.  Does DW still resist showers?  My DH get very upset with me about cleanliness.  Hoping it will change at some point.
Joe C.
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 5:26 AM

My 70 years old DW wants to have another baby! The humorous times is when she tells family and friends that she wants a baby but HE doesn’t want any more children.
Eric L
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 10:54 AM

In the moment, these stories weren't so funny, but they are pretty funny in hindsight..

So this was right before we brought hospice on board and MIL wasn't bed bound. MIL would get severely agitated in the afternoon. She wanted to go home (she was home) and no matter what we would tell her (fibs or no fibs), it didn't work. We usually had to give her an ativan to help calm her down (she would get very, very wound up). Of course, they take a while to kick in. We usually took her on a walk around the house to redirect her and give the ativan a bit of time to do what it needed to do. One day she was spitting mad at me for making her go on a walk and was cussing up a storm and saying all sorts of nasty of stuff. She looked me and said "You know what Eric, you're a real piece of bastard". My wife and I got a kick out of that one!

Another time, she was spitting mad at the caregiver for making her take a shower. It was at the point in time where we had to direct her actions in the shower, but she didn't really need hands on help yet. If you stood in her bedroom and watched from the right spot, you could see what she was doing (through the frosted glass on the shower) and direct her. So she's yelling and cussing at the caregiver and at some point the caregiver told her to grab shampoo or something and she yells at her "What are you some kind of pervert, watching me take a shower? How would you like if I came to your house and watched you take a shower?"

Last one.. this is really getting towards the end. She was probably bed bound within a few weeks. We get home from school one afternoon and she looks at my oldest and says "Do you know where Andrew is?" and my son of course says "I'm right here grandma". She looked at him and said "No, I want to know where the big Andrew is". We assume that she was looking for my BIL and happened to see my son and his name popped into her head. For a while after that, we called my BIL "Big Andrew".
janeymack
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 3:02 PM

Joe C. - My H and your W should get together! He is always saying we should have another baby! I'm 60, he's 67 and neither of is biologically equipped.
jdmg1
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2019 4:18 PM

These posts are so sweet and endearing.  Thank you janeymack for starting this thread.  Keep  them coming!