RSS Feed Print
Connecting with other Queer Nonbinary caregivers
Malster
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 6:52 PM

Hi all-

I am a queer nonbinary theater artist and activist. Both my parents have Alzheimer’s and though they live in a senior community where they get great care, I experience stress, anxiety and grief making sure I’m taking good care of all their bills, medical appts, finances, etc, and being present for them when I visit. Which is hard in Covid times as I can’t go near them to hug them. Just a shout out if anyone wants to chat. In support. 

LaurenB
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2021 1:53 PM

Hi there!  I'm an ally with multiple queer family members and additionally have LOs with dementia.  Feel free to start a connection and email!

Lauren

Stori
Posted: Sunday, April 4, 2021 9:57 PM

Hi I’m a queer caregiver too. I’m new to dementia and caregiving.

I’m trans nonbinary and bi. I’m taking care of a parent.

ADH77
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2021 12:50 PM

Hi! Thanks for posting in the LGBT community area. It doesn't get a lot of posts, unfortunately, but as I am a gay man and I use this forum, I thought I would say hi as well.

My mother has dementia and lives in memory care. She was diagnosed about 5 years ago, and she's been in MC for 3 years. 

I hear you about how hard it can be to care for a parent, even when they are in a care facility. Running the life of another adult is A LOT, especially when they don't have the mental presence to help you navigate that role. It is tremendously challenging both on a logistical and emotional level. I hope you're managing OK and finding that, over time, it gets a little easier (at least the logistics part).

And yes, COVID has been such a hard time. My mom lives on the other side of the country. Normally, my husband and I have been visiting at least twice a year, but now it's been almost 2 years since we've been due to the restrictions and general concerns. I'm still not sure when we'll be able to go--her state currently has a 2-week quarantine rule, so even if I was comfortable enough to fly right now (which I'm not), I couldn't take off enough time to actually be able to visit her. It's made a challenging time EVEN more challenging, but hopefully as vaccinations continue, we will be returning to some normalcy soon.

MeliMel711
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2021 9:39 PM

Hi, I'm Melissa (Mel), my wife Dawn and I care for my mom who has stage 6 Altzheimers.  She's been with us since January and it has been pretty good but we are noticing more paranoia and anger as of late.  Any suggestions are welcome!