RSS Feed Print
Montelukast - more repurposing more trials coming
Larrytherunner
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2021 3:21 PM

You might know me as the guy who has been posting since February 2016 about taking the anti-inflammatory asthma drug montelukast (Singulair). I have been taking it 10 mg three times a day as a treatment for extreme mental fatigue, and I was soon able to get back to normal. In 2019 Emory University was scheduled to start a FDA clinical trial using montelukast as treatment for early stage Alzheimers but it was put on hold due to covid. A new announcement by Emory states that it will start in 2022.

Back in 2016 I also noticed that my montelukast treatment resulted in my enlarged prostate condition going to back to normal after about two months. Previously I had been taking prescribed medication that wasn't working for about a year.

This condition is quite common, as about half of men over fifty eventually get this condition, which interferes which normal urination. It is especially serious in Ghana where I live and in other low income countries because most men here can not afford surgery or other expensive procedures. They can end up with long term catheter use, serious infections, kidney damage and a shortened life span.

After searching several years for a medical doctor who would take me seriously in trying montelukast as a treatment, I finally met a urologist who is a professor at a medical school in Ghana. I convinced him to try it with patients with their informed consent. Every patient has shown improvement so far. He is planning to treat more patients and is also working with the university to design a clinical trial. I am hoping they will register with clinicaltrials.gov sometime next year. It won't be a FDA supervised trial but it will be at a medical school at a major university in Ghana, and positive results would be noticed worldwide. An FDA trial could come later.

Montelukast works by blocking immune signaling leukotrienes that cause inflammation. It appears that his patients started getting good results at about three weeks. Finasteride and simular drugs for shrinking the prostate are completely different. They work by blocking dihydrotestosterone, a male hormone. It is less than 30 percent effective in improving urination, it takes up to 6 months to work if it ever works, it often stops working after a few years, and it has a lot of serious side effects. It certainly appears to be the wrong strategy for treating this inflammatory disease.

To give you an idea of the size of this condition, according to the Wikipedia article on enlarged prostate (BPH), 105 million men around the world have BPH serious enough to affect their health and wellbeing (2015). This comes from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

It is a long and difficult road getting this generic drug trialed as a repurposed drug without the backing of a major pharmaceutical company, but 2022 is looking hopeful both for early stage Alzheimers and BPH. There is a lot of evidence emerging that montelukast can effectively treat many diseases associated with aging and an overactive immure system.

Emory montelukast alzheimers trial https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03991988

"Benign prostatic hyperplasia - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_prostatic_hyperplasia

My website www.montelukast-repurposed.org