RSS Feed Print
Trans Ferulic Acid?
Lisa3
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:02 AM

Kenko.com is reputable company in Japan.  I've never though about searching those Japanese web site in English.  Dah!  Thank you for the help everyone!

Now remember, Feru guard might be the one to try first since the New feru guard has more garden angelica, and it can lead to more agitation, more hyper tension etc easily compare to old one.  Plus make sure to introduce one medicine at a time so you can tell which on is changing which behavior....see what happens, then increase or reduce, then see....each step at least 2 weeks or so...is a part of Kono Method.  Bottom line is care giver or family is the main source to tell which medicine is working....that is why other doctors don't like the Kono method.  They believe non Doctors should never be the main person to decide what to do to patient....I'm in between about this...need more reading at his blog plus other doctors opinions...

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:55 AM

Excellent advice, Lisa.   

At first when I read from the Kono blogs about patients being able to adjust their medications I wasn't sure about it.  But often times patients are not given the right levels of medications by doctors.  Sometimes maybe the doctors listen to the patient or their loved ones and adjust the medications, but sometimes they don't. 

This website discusses the uses and possible side effects of garden angelica. 

http://ambertech.com/herbs/ambertech-angelica 

Too high a level of phenolic compounds can certainly increase blood pressure and anxiety by increasing adrenaline levels.  Just as Lisa suggested the medications have to be adjusted to fit the person. 

Lisa3
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:16 PM

Can anybody find any thing from these.

Found at Dr. Kono's web page, but number's are gibberish to me....

Any sort of published ones from him?

• 河野和彦:痴呆患者に対するThe Clock Drawing Testの新しい採点法とその有用性について。老化と疾患 7(12):1875-1885,1994.
  • K.Kono et al.: Comparative study of cerebral ventricular dilation and cognitive function in patients with Alzheimer's disease of early versus late onset. J Geriatr Psychiat Neurol 6: 39-45, 1993.
  • K.Yamada, K.Kono et al.: Decreased interleukin-6 level in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Alzheimer-type dementia. Neuroscience Letters 186: 219-221, 1995.
  • 河野和彦:Watershed infarctと痴呆。Dementia 10(1): 29-40, 1996.
  • 河野和彦:Donepezilの臨床的評価 第二報―アルツハイマー病・パーキンソン病合併例に対する1.25mg投与の成功。精神科治療学15(10):1071-1075, 2000.
  • 中村重信、佐々木健、阿瀬川孝治、伊丹昭、伊藤達彦、清原龍夫、河野和彦、松田桜子、水野裕、宮原覚、折笠秀樹、遠 藤英俊:Ferulic acid と garden angelica根抽出物製剤ANM176がアルツハイマー病患者の認知機能に及ぼす影響。Geratric Medicine 46(12):1511-1519、2008

That's it for today.

Will come back for some more...

Now Confused that I was thinking Glovia and the Korean company is not the same, but he also mention ANM176 as above...hmmm.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:56 PM

I have not looked at all of these papers yet, but I think this is the most important one (the one Lisa began this thread with).   

EFFECT OF ANM176TM CONTAINING FERULIC ACID AND GARDEN ANGELICA EXTRACT ON ALZHEIMER´S DISEASE

S. Nakamura, K. Sasaki

Rakuwakai Otowa Hospital, Neurology, Kyoto, Japan, 2Kinoko Espoir Hospital, Psychiary, Kasoka, Japan

Background: Ferulic acid has been shown to prevent amyloid β (Aβ) induced neurotoxiciy in rat hippocampus and also to protect rats against the impairment of inhibitory avoidance caused by Aβ, scopolamine or cycloheximide.
Methods: We administered ANM176TM containing ferulic acid and garden angelica extract to 143 Alzheimer disease (AD) patients for 9 months. Their cognitive function was measured by Japanese version of Alzheimer's disease assessment scale-cognitive subscale (ADAS-Jcog) or mini-mental scale examination (MMSE). ANM176TM was supplied by the courtesy of Scigenic Co., Korea.
Findings: The change of ADAS-Jcog score in patients treated with ANM176TM for 9 months lessened, when compared with the previously reported change of ADAS-Jcog score in the natural course of AD. The decline of cognitive function was suppressed significantly more remarkably after 9 months in AD patients with ADAS-Jcog score < 20 at onset than those with score ≥30, or in those with MMSE score ≥24 at onset than those with score ≤10. AD cases with early-onset (< 65 years old) after 6 months exhibited significantly greater worsening than those with late-onset (≥65 years old) after 9 months when measured with ADAS-Jcog. ANM176TM attenuated worsening in ADAS-Jcog score after 6 months more effectively when administered alone, compared with those accompanied with donepezil treatment. ANM176TM was well tolerated without any noticeable side effect.
Interpretation: Present results suggest ANM176TM could be recommended for relatively mild AD patients with late-onset without donepezil treatment.
http://www.kenes.com/adpd2009/posters/Abstract1138.htm
PDF of paper: http://www.kenes.com/adpd2009/cd/pdf/316.pdf 

http://www.perpetualcommotion.com/a/Ferulic_Acid.html (additional studies). 

The combination of ferulic acid with garden angelica appeared to slow down the progression of Alzheimer's disease and especially those with relatively mild late onset Alzheimer's disease with prolonged use (over nine months).  I believe these results are better than what is achieved with current medications prescribed to treat Alzheimer's disease, but perhaps not as good as some essential oils via aromatherapy. 

Results: All patients showed significant improvement in personal orientation related to cognitive function on both the GBSS-J and TDAS after therapy. In particular, patients with AD showed significant improvement in total TDAS scores. Result of routine laboratory tests showed no significant changes, suggesting that there were no side-effects associated with the use of aromatherapy. Results from Zarit's score showed no significant changes, suggesting that caregivers had no effect on the improved patient scores seen in the other tests.

Conclusions: In conclusion, we found aromatherapy an efficacious non-pharmacological therapy for dementia. Aromatherapy may have some potential for improving cognitive function, especially in AD patients.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1479-8301.2009.00299.x/full 

I am still trying to figure out which methoxyphenols can be used in conjunction with essential oils to produce even better results.  Ferulic acid appears to be relatively safe and it appears to slow down the rate of the progression of the disease in Alzheimer's patients so it may be a good candidate.