RSS Feed Print
What medicines increase the risk for Alzheimer's disease?
Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:23 PM

There are over 100 medicines that negatively effect acetylcholine levels needed for short-term memory. I don't know how many of these contribute to Alzheimer's disease, but here are three that might increase the risk for Alzheimer's disease (acetaminophen was recently re-brought to my attention).

Acetaminophen/paracetamol (tylenol, for instance)

Can overactivate receptor tyrosine kinase receptor which increase peroxynitrite levels.

2002 Nov;303(2):468-75.

Peroxynitrite is a critical mediator of acetaminophen hepatotoxicity in murine livers: protection by glutathione.

ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE CAUSED BY PARACETAMOL?

Walter Last

We may assume that the risk of developing AD is a function of several factors, including the lifetime intake of paracetamol, the ability of the liver to detoxify the substance, and the kidneys to excrete the residues. Therefore someone with liver or kidney damage, or burdened with the ingestion of other drugs, or exposed to mercury, can be expected to develop AD at much lower doses than someone who is reasonably healthy and does not normally use any other drugs.

There are three metabolic pathways in which the liver can detoxify paracetamol, and one of these pathways can produce a toxic metabolite which may accumulate with high intakes and certain genetic and metabolic conditions. Therefore it is clear that the accumulated dose of paracetamol that may trigger AD can be expected to vary widely between individuals.

Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that paracetamol may be the only drug or environmental chemical that can cause AD-type brain damage. Not only individual drugs and chemicals but their combinations may cause or contribute to AD. We do not know anything about this, so far no one has investigated.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/paracetamol.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3921468/

Benzodiazepine increase peroxynitrite levels by overactivating g protein-coupled receptors.

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205

Bisphosphonate osteoporosis drugs such as Fosamax inhibit the neuroprotective phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16100524

I wonder how many drugs besides these commonly used/prescribed drugs have contributed to the epidemic of Alzheimer's disease?

An DI
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 7:37 PM

Hi Lane,

What about medicines which list dementia as a side effect? I took Bentyl, benzodiazepines and lastly Ditropan, all of which list dementia as a side effect. Plus, smoking causes dementia. I never stood a chance

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:04 AM

Hi AnDi, I'll let late answer most of your questions.

Just one point. Smoking does not cause Alzheimer's. That being said, smoking is not good for you for so many reasons, but if it caused AD, ;the world would realyl be in an AD crisis.

And once you have been diagnosed with AD and are still as with it as your writing says you are, there is much you can do.

By that I mean being seriously proactive in following the Best Practices. They are not a cure, but can do much to prolong your stay in the Early Stage.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:33 AM

Thanks for the post An DI. Thanks for responding Mimi (I am behind on my message board reading). All the drugs you listed An DI have been linked to an increased risk for Alzheimer's disease. I did not realize that they had warning labels to this effect.

Smoking is a curious one as at one time there were studies suggesting that smoking decreased the risk for Alzheimer's disease (some of these studies were funded by the tobacco industry). Smoking actually increases the risk for Alzheimer's disease.

RESULTS: Overall, literature indicates that former/active smoking is related to a significantly increased risk for AD. Cigarette smoke/smoking is associated with AD neuropathology in preclinical models and humans. Smoking-related cerebral oxidative stress is a potential mechanism promoting AD pathology and increased risk for AD.

CONCLUSIONS:

A reduction in the incidence of smoking will likely reduce the future prevalence of AD

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24924665

So unfortunately, you probably did not stand a chance.

But Mimi is right to treat the disease you have to be proactive. A diet high in organic fruits and vegetables and spices is a good place to start (a Mediterranean diet or a diet from India for example). Moderate exercise is also helpful. Aromatherapy with clove, bay laurel, lemon balm, and rosemary essential oils is good for cognition. Aromatherapy with lavender and sweet orange essential oils helps with relaxation.

Alzheimer's disease is not caused by amyloid or tau; it is caused by oxidative stress. Several medicines, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, environmental toxins, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, salt, stress, and certain genetic mutations cause oxidative stress and several compounds in plants not only inhibit this damage but partially reverse it. The answer to Alzheimer's disease is literally in the palm of our hands and right under our noses.