RSS Feed Print
cannabis oil treatment for ALZ and video
alz+
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 1:20 PM

I am having problems with new browsers to copy paste live links, hope this one works.

video on youtube called

"Part 1 & 2 Alzheimer's on the pill Medical Marijuana Helps dementia"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vlRnKmufRZc         https://youtu.be/OlRnKmufRZc

NOTE: at 10minutes 30 seconds the pill the man Grandmother has taken begins to show effect. She goes from agitated, wanting to go home, pacing and disturbed to by minute 20 she is relaxed, pain free and reading a book, having conversation.

Making cannabis oil is beyond my capabilities but I want to do the 30 day treatment.

a google search of cannabis and Alzheimer's will come up with hundreds of pages on how it works, how to make, how to take, and success stories.

Unforgiven
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 1:49 PM

I cannot for the life of me understand the societal prejudice against marijuana.  Yes, cannabis can make you a little lazy along with mellowing you out, but isn't that preferable to behaving like an enraged arsehole?  I'm talking about the general public being enraged arseholes, not PWD.  If people are uncomfortable and agitated, why not?

My cynical view is that the big 1930s Maryjane scary propaganda goes back to big tobacco being afraid of losing their market.  Now I hear they're quietly looking into vrowing and manufacturing if it becomes legal.

I live in Wisconsin, where we can't even grow rope for hemp and paper.  Cannabis will never become legal until we have a change at the state governmental level.  Right now, they would even let a child who is dying of intractable seizures die instead of taking her medical marijuana oil.

I think the world would be a better place if we could all  chill out a little when we're upset.

alz+
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 6:58 PM

I might have to switch to goggle chrome to be able to copy and paste live links.

in the video of the woman who has ALz you see the usual behavior, plus the woman has severe back pain and her pacing is making her hurt more. when the capsule of MM oil takes effect you see her face rela,x her voice changes to a normal voice, she becomes interested in the book she can now read and her memory begins to function again.

this is not staged, and there are certainly 1000s of people using it now. Michiagn is a legal state but they ban dispensaries. Using MM does not make me high, stoned, lazy. It makes me feel normal.

posted this so people could watch it work - if CGvrs saw this they would be getting a bagful.

But the other aspect is that it acts like Best Practices on the brain but within 30 days you have a lot more function - if you have the right oil, and someone to help you through the first week.

I have not ever had it but knew people who did the 30 day treatment and it knocks you out at first, I mean long deep sleep. As time goes by your body has its quota moment I guess and eventually you can do anything on it, you no longer are reacting to it.

wish I was not the lone poster about using it. Just in case someone wants to video I will try to put another browser on this tablet.

sandyjm
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 7:35 PM

Alz+

I was able to find the video on you tube by searching " part 1 and 2 alzheimers dementia"

I watched this awhile back when someone posted about it.

I haven't seen too much discussion on the boards about it...but have just recently started peaking " over the walls" to see what I am missing . 

Your timing is perfect as I had lunch today with another CG and we were just touching on this subject. I'll do some research on my own...but very interested in feedback here.

Thank you !

sandy

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 7:51 PM

I wanted desperately to get some!!!

I wonder if Hospice uses it in states where it is legal.

alz+
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 7:58 PM

SandyJM -

it seems odd it is not discussed here more often. The capsules of oil bought from a dispensary are probably much more consistent quality/effect than home made.

If someone just wants to try a strain for ALZ just as a comfort medicine, ask for Indica dominant. Most is a hybrid sativa/indica now so dispensary should know regarding dementia to go Indica dominant.

most behavior problems could be settled consistently, and side effect is it often allows people to converse again while providing pain relief. You cannot overdose, but you CAN take too much!

I mentioned many times I tried an edible once from dispensary, thought it was a dessert and ate the whole brownie sized thing. I got frozen! Could not move. My son and daughter were there to put me to bed and explained what I had done. I slept so deeply for 8 hours!

I did not like that. No one said take a small bite and wait an hour. No harm done but if someone was not prepared it would be very weird.

Books coming out on it,a nursing association in Washington is preparing some kind of protocol and taking patient reports on what works, how much etc to be a book soon.

sandyjm
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 8:38 PM

Hmmm..I live in a state where it is legal for medicinal purposes .

I wonder if it's not discussed too much as people aren't using it..or there's still the stigma of " illegal drug" and possible judgement...hmmm...

Alz+.  I like your story about eating the whole brownie ( lesson learned ) and your comment about it makes you feel normal.

Jfkoc- not legal in your state ?

Ok, I am going to start researching more ..still would love more feedback from anyone on the board with experiences they are willing to share.

Thanks, 

sandy

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:29 AM

This dovetails nicely with a recent study on marijuana oil for Alzheimer's disease.

Marijuana oil reduces Alzheimer's symptoms, study finds

A growing body of evidence suggests marijuana may greatly benefit Alzheimer’s patients.

New research published in The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease finds that administering cannabis extracts containing THC to Alzheimer’s patients helped relieve various symptoms of dementia, including agitation, aggression, apathy and delusions.

The small trial conducted by Israeli researchers studied 11 Alzheimer’s patients who were given medical cannabis oil containing THC over the course of four weeks. Of the 10 patients that completed the trial, researchers recorded “significant reduction” in behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.

Researchers concluded that “adding medical cannabis oil to Alzheimer’s disease patients’ pharmacotherapy is a safe and promising treatment option.”

The study abstract can be found here.

This is just the latest in a line of studies to indicate THC relieves dementia symptoms and may also act as an Alzheimer’s inhibitor.

Alzheimer’s disease is believed to be caused by long-term brain inflammation and cannabis acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory, as reported by SFGate.

Smoking, vaping, or eating the pot molecules THC and CBD directly effects nerve cell function, reducing chronic brain inflammation, oxidative stress, and cellular dysfunction — all the while promoting stability of the human body’s internal environment (homeostasis) and healthy brain cells (neurotrophic support), studies show.

http://extract.suntimes.com/information-resources/10/153/12999/cannabis-oil-thc-helps-treat-alzheimers-disease-dementia-symptoms 

Unforgiven
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:02 AM

It helps with apathy?  Now, that is interesting, almost the opposite of what it supposedly does to the non-dementia brain.  We all know the stereotype of the stoner sitting on the couch and eating Doritos.  All cannabis ever did to me was make me sleepy.

I wonder how long it will take to convince society's puritan element that they're denying sick people their relief just because they're worried that someone will get high and have a good time.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:02 AM

I just finished watching the video.  The mother and son were so much like my mother and me and the results with dronabinol (synthetic marijuana) were almost exactly the same results as with aromatherapy: recognition of home, remembering names, calmness, although little improvement in short-term memory.  The person has a much better quality of life even though neither marijuana nor aromatherapy are cures for the disease.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:45 AM

Unforgiven, the reason for this is that in those without Alzheimer's disease THC activates a g protein-coupled receptor which leads to the production of peroxynitrite--an oxidant which causes short-term memory loss, apathy, and hallucinations.  But in people with Alzheimer's disease, this receptor is in turn damaged by peroxynitrite so that THC stops producing these effects.  Peroxynitrite also damages g protein-coupled receptors that affect smell, mood, sleep. social recognition, alertness, and short-term memory.  Thus a person with Alzheimer's disease has deficits in all these areas.  THC is a peroxynitrite scavenger and reduces part of the damage done by peroxynitrite.  Thus THC can increase apathy, short-term memory loss, and hallucinations in a "normal" person but decrease each in a person with Alzheimer's disease.  

The effect of peroxynitrite scavengers on Alzheimer's disease: recognition of place (one's home for example), object recognition, remembering of names, numbers, phrases, words, the alphabet, etc., more alertness and awareness, less wandering and pacing, calmness, fewer if any delusions.  For reasons, I don't understand the improvement in short-term memory and lucidity are less evident.  

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:53 PM

No, not legal in OK and when you see a map of where medical marijuana is legal it not legal for every medical issue!!!!! It can be legal for a very specific illness only. In OK it is or soon maybe to be for children with one specific problem.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 2:59 PM

Medical marijuana or medical cannabis has been used throughout the world and for thousands of years to treat disease or alleviate symptoms from disease.....

http://norml.org/library/item/alzheimer-s-disease

http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/top-5-benefits-cannabis-alzheimers-disease

https://www.projectcbd.org/alzheimers-disease  : extensive list of how it works, and science, and use for "behavioral" issues.

sandyjm
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:04 PM

Good discussion.

Lane I had seen your post in the clinical trials after I first read alz+ posts. Thanks for sharing here. 

Jfkoc- ok, now I know I have to check the specifics of the laws here .

Alz+ I hope you get your browser figured out..sorry, can't help there.

And unforgiving, I thought the same thing about the apathy.. Thanks for explaining Lane..though I will have to reread that to figure it out

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:51 PM

That's one thing I love about these boards--one person makes a connection in one place and another person makes another connection somewhere else.

I smiled and gently laughed when I read your comment Sandy.  They say scientists often have trouble communicating complicated information in an understandable manner, but unfortunately I cannot use that excuse since I am an historian.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:29 PM

Great post and video!
sandyjm
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:54 PM

Lane, I really meant it was me that couldn't understand .... Almost a foreign language to me. 

Not your explanation. 

You're so nice to use the words " gently laughed" .... 

This is how we learn .... I'll pick it apart so I understand.

Thanks, sandy

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:20 AM

I really appreciate you saying that Sandy, but I still need to get better at explaining things. When I started this research twelve years ago, my cousin and aunt were in the late stages of Alzheimer's disease and my mother was in the early stage of Alzheimer's disease.  I had a little bit of background in biochemistry, but I could hardly make heads or tails out of most of the things that I read let alone how they related to each other. But little by little it began to click, so that I began to understand most of what I read and could start grouping the articles together by what part of the disease they were addressing.  And then the pathways started falling into place so when a new study came out I could often figure out where it fit.  

When I have visuals it makes it easier for me.  Here is one for cannabinoids (such as THC).  The cannabinoid receptor at the left (a g protein-coupled receptor) is the one that can lead to memory loss, apathy, hallucinations in a person taking marijuana without Alzheimer's disease.  But in Alzheimer's disease it is damaged.  The NMDA receptor on the right is the one that leads to the death of neurons and short-term memory loss via peroxynitrite formation in conditions such as glaucoma and Alzheimer's disease [glutamate-induced neuronal cell death].  THC as a peroxynitrite scavenger partially impedes this process.  So the effects of THC on someone with Alzheimer's disease maybe nearly completely the opposite of someone without Alzheimer's disease.

In glaucoma, the increased release of glutamate is the major cause of retinal ganglion cell death. Cannabinoids have been demonstrated to protect neuron cultures from glutamate-induced death. In this study, we test the hypothesis that glutamate causes apoptosis of retinal neurons via the excessive formation of peroxynitrite, and that the neuroprotective effect of the psychotropic Delta9-tetrahydroxycannabinol (THC) or nonpsychotropic cannabidiol (CBD) is via the attenuation of this formation.

The signaling pathway that leads to learning and memory impairments induced by marijuana (Credit: Cell, Chen et al)The signaling pathway that leads to learning and memory impairments induced by marijuana (Credit: Cell, Chen et al)

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:26 AM

Too small, let me give the link.

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/preventing-marijuana-induced-memory-problems-with-OTC-painkillers

I will add the comment that I made to the article.

The chart showing the connection between memory loss and marijuana is quite similar to the pathway that leads to Alzheimer's disease. The activation of g protein-coupled receptors leads to the production of peroxynitrites which limit the transport, synthesis, and release of acetylcholine--a compound critical for short-term memories. Peroxynitrites, however, oxidate (inactivate) g protein-coupled receptors including cannabinoid receptors so THC is not likely to add to memory problems in Alzheimer's disease. In fact the opposite, THC is likely a much better peroxynitrite scavenger than non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Indeed any effective peroxynitrite scavenger (eugenol in various essential oils via aromatherapy and ferulic acid, syringic acid, vanillic acid, and maltol in heat-processed ginseng) can be used to partially reverse Alzheimer's disease as clinical trials have shown (Heo and Jimbo).

Unforgiven
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:57 AM

Lane, that is the best argument against using marijuane recreationally that anyone has ever given me.  I'm glad it was never my personal cup of tea.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:29 PM

Mine either, although the negative long-term effect is far from universal.  On the other hand, what may be a risk for recreational users may not be a risk for someone who already has dementia.  

alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:30 PM

good info and comments tell stories of how to give and what to give.

http://www.medicaljane.com/2014/11/17/alzheimers-disease-and-medical-marijuana/

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:46 PM

Excellent article and comments, alz+ and thanks very much for also finding and sharing the video.  I like hearing and seeing success stories.  Reading all the scientific articles is tedious, but seeing the positive results is a source of joy.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:38 PM

the use of marijuana as a medicine has been around at least 2000 years. the only harm that has come from its use is being arrested and imprisoned based on a war need for rope and chemical companies wanted to sell nylon rope so they made hemp illegal.

no one has died from using it. (stories about people going out of their mind usually involve alcohol and other intoxicants and unstable people and situations. It provides pain relief, and  inspiration. 

Our bodies have endocannabinoid receptors in the brain, as we have opiate receptors. Our bodies produce a substance like THC and Cbd. 

Marijuana is a plant with over 300 identified medicinal components - which work together in a way that a synthetic  manufactured version never will. 

There is no "marijuana" anymore, the plant has been cultured and blended into specific strains to use for specific ailments, including dementia, MS, seizures, and even cancer.

If someone dislikes how they feel or think after "trying" marijuana, it does not mean that no other of the 2000 strains would not be very helpful if they suffer from migraines, or insomnia, or nausea.

People use alcohol every day. They make cocktails and prefer certain microbrewery beers, and select wines and vintages. Alcohol is addictive to some, and the death toll from alcohol is huge, not to mention the damage done to families via drunk recklessness and anger.

This topic is about specific medicine made from a plant that could open up lives that are heavily burdened from the struggle with AlZ. No one would be forced to use it, but since it works so well PWD and CGvrs should not be afraid or ashamed to use it as a medicine.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:45 PM

For those still worried about being judged or about the DANGERS of using medicine made from cannabis I am posting a couple things. Not trying to convinvce anybody to become a daily user, or use it at all, but to ease the concerns people have because of a war on drugs which has ruined lives and led to an enormous prison population of non violent people.

from Salon.com

On its site, MPP states,

“If you’re like most Americans, you have been led to believe that marijuana is a dangerous and addictive drug that has destroyed the lives of millions of teens and adults. You have been encouraged to believe that marijuana causes lung cancer and is a ‘gateway’ to harder drugs. The government has even tried to convince you that most people who use marijuana are losers who sit around on couches all day doing nothing.”

“None of this is ‘bad’ or ‘wrong’ or ‘immoral.’ It is simply something that these responsible adults choose to do. And frequently, it is something they choose to do specifically instead of alcohol. And for good reason! Alcohol is more toxic, more addictive, more harmful to the body, more likely to result in injuries, and more likely to lead to interpersonal violence than marijuana.”

alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:58 PM

The page also includes the following bulleted list comparing alcohol to marijuana:

1. Many people die from alcohol use. Nobody dies from marijuana use. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that more than 37,000 annual U.S. deaths are attributed to alcohol use alone (this figure does not include accidental deaths). On the other hand, the CDC does not even have a category for deaths caused by the use of marijuana.

2. People die from alcohol overdoses. There has never been a fatal marijuana overdose. The official publication of the Scientific Research Society, American Scientist, reported that alcohol is one of the most toxic drugs and using just 10 times what one would use to get the desired effect could lead to death. Marijuana is one of – if not the – least toxic drugs, requiring thousands of times the dose one would use to get the desired effect to lead to death. This “thousands of times” is actually theoretical, since there has never been a case of an individual dying from a marijuana overdose. Meanwhile, according to the CDC, hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths occur in the United States each year.

3. The health-related costs associated with alcohol use far exceed those for marijuana use. Health-related costs for alcohol consumers are eight times greater than those for marijuana consumers, according to an assessment recently published in the British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Journal. More specifically, the annual health-related cost of alcohol consumption is $165 per user, compared to just $20 per user for marijuana. This should not come as a surprise given the vast amount of research that shows alcohol poses far more – and more significant – health problems than marijuana.

4. Alcohol use damages the brain. Marijuana use does not. Despite the myths we’ve heard throughout our lives about marijuana killing brain cells, it turns out that a growing number of studies seem to indicate that marijuana actually has neuroprotective properties. This means that it works to protect brain cells from harm. For example, one recent study found that teens who used marijuana as well as alcohol suffered significantly less damage to the white matter in their brains. Of course, what is beyond question is that alcohol damages brain cells.

5. Alcohol use is linked to cancer. Marijuana use is not. Alcohol use is associated with a wide variety of cancers, including cancers of the esophagus, stomach, colon, lungs, pancreas, liver, and prostate. Marijuana use has not been conclusively associated with any form of cancer. In fact, one study recently contradicted the long-time government claim that marijuana use is associated with head and neck cancers. It found that marijuana use actually reduced the likelihood of head and neck cancers. If you are concerned about marijuana being associated with lung cancer, you may be interested in the results of the largest case-controlled study ever conducted to investigate the respiratory effects of marijuana smoking and cigarette smoking. Released in 2006, the study, conducted by Dr. Donald Tashkin at the University of California at Los Angeles, found that marijuana smoking was not associated with an increased risk of developing lung cancer. Surprisingly, the researchers found that people who smoked marijuana actually had lower incidences of cancer compared to non-users of the drug.

6. Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana. Addiction researchers have consistently reported that marijuana is far less addictive than alcohol based on a number of factors. In particular, alcohol use can result in significant and potentially fatal physical withdrawal, whereas marijuana has not been found to produce any symptoms of physical withdrawal. Those who use alcohol are also much more likely to develop dependence and build tolerance.

7. Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Marijuana use does not. Many people who have consumed alcohol, or know others who have consumed alcohol, would not be surprised to hear that it greatly increases the risk of serious injury. Research published in 2011 in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research found that 36% of hospitalized assaults and 21% of all injuries are attributable to alcohol use by the injured person. Meanwhile, the American Journal of Emergency Medicine reported that lifetime use of marijuana is rarely associated with emergency room visits. According to the British Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, this is because: “Cannabis differs from alcohol … in one major respect. It does not seem to increase risk-taking behavior. This means that cannabis rarely contributes to violence either to others or to oneself, whereas alcohol use is a major factor in deliberate self-harm, domestic accidents and violence.” Interestingly enough, some research has even shown that marijuana use has been associated with a decreased risk of injury.

the joy of planting seeds, nurturing a plant, watching it grow and flower is calming in itself. To use it to relax, to remember how to laugh, or converse, or tolerate social situations has been a blessing in my life.

Today we located someone who makes the cannabis oil capsules for the 30 day treatment that 1000s of ALZ patients are trying out. I will let people know how it goes. I would like to have an MRI and sage test after to compare. If it does nothing I will report that. I am not interested in luring people to the dark world of drugs, but freeing people from a small selection of pharmaceuticals which have many potential side effects - unintended consequences.

thanks for letting me explain this. I am no expert but have used it for many years as medicine for intense disabling migraines and back pain.

alz+
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 7:40 AM

On CGvr board Lane posted about Marinol.

Turns out the video of the Mom and son - he was giving her Marinol, generic version. The son who made the video replied to that post.

some people thought it was staged.

I would not use Marinol in general, but if using a synthetic drug takes away the imagined stigma of a plant as medicine, or because cannabis is still illegal where you live, or legal but impossible to purchase because dispensaries are blocked from opening - then that is another option to try.

Can not for life of me figure out what the aversion is to natural plant based medicines and the dedication to pharmaceuticals with dangerous side effects comes from when we are dealing with terminal illness.

Really happy the man posted about his video. Thanks again to Lane S.

BillBRNC
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 6:02 PM

I too have been looking into this to see how much is coming from the pro-pot group and how much is coming from either real research or valid case reports. It is truly hard to get through the haze, because the AMA has come out dead against it for anything other than cancer and HIV, so that puts a real damper on doctors talking or research taking place. And you can bet the AMA came out against it because of pressure from NIH and the government. So, what is the real story. I don't know, but there seem to be far too many personal reports from caregivers that say that it makes a real difference, and that counts for something in my book. Seems to me that at some point it make sense to give it a try, because there are really no side effects like the other Alz meds have. If it works, do it. If it doesn't, then try something else. Main point is to get it covered by your drug plan as a generic, as opposed to some huge co-pay. Seems possible to me. I don't know what I'll be doing in the near future, but I can't imagine not giving it a try at some point. Heck, the main benefit seems to be to the caregiver anyway. Good luck to us all.
newellar
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 12:39 AM

What is the 30 day program mentioned earlier in the thread?  I live in a state where it is legal and I would like to learn more.  We tried it for my dad with pain from cancer in 2014 but I have not been up to date on the Alz related discussions.  Now I have some more, new, reading to do.

Thanks for this discussion.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 11:57 AM

I would google "Alzheimer's CBD oil".

I recently found someone who has it (my legal state makes dispensaries almost impossible) who can supply me with a 30 day amount of oil. 

THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT!

The man who makes these medicines said to start with 1 drop first day and with my husband with me whole time see how it feels. Then one has to  go by how the person reacts, I think eventually I'd be taking 4 drops a day by end of month.

I forgot the process I found online. I am not functioning so well this morning or I would look it up for you. (to post this is almost an hour but I am so interested)

because research has been banned on Cannabis most all of the information on whether or not CBD oil helps someone regain some of their mental acuity is based on what people are reporting. They are videoing the person before using the oil, and through out a month or more and then reporting if the pwd seems more comfortable, happier, able to converse more fluently, out of pain. more "there".

whether CBD oil truly cuts cerebral / brain inflammation or how it does that remains to be explained. This is what is used for seizures, I left a a post about unnoticed seizures and ALZ progression in past month, if CBD oil soothes if not heals brain tissue damaged by seizures, that would be one big help to those of us on the countdown clock waiting for a cure.

I truly want to have a shot at finishing a couple things that mean so much to me and  will report on my experience with it, good, bad or a wash.

If you choose to try it you might find something else at a dispensary that works right away for any other issue. Leafly.com might have some leads.

Be overly cautious in trying it!

I ate an edible once, did not know it was to be eaten in  tiny bites for a week. If I was not totally protected by my son and daughter I might have panicked, even knowing whatever it was would eventually wear off.

Smallest dose to produce desired effect is what I believe is best. Hope to hear from you how it goes and my love and courage sent to you both.

BillBRNC
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 2:39 PM

My wife is a family physician. I told her about this issue that has come up several times here to see what she thought. I think the drug normally used is called something like Merinol. She has spoken with a neurologist friend, who also was really interested, because he had never heard of it being used for Alz. He told my wife that most  to all Alz drugs don't work on most of his patients or have bad effects that offset the minimal benefit, so he is really interested in finding options to help his patients. My wife is seeking out reports from what she considers to be reputable sources, but she has already decided that there is probably a lot of good here. Her mother has vascular dementia at 92, and she gets suddenly violent at her memory facility in another part of the country, so my wife is also interested in it for her mom. The problem of course is that my wife's partner will gladly write a prescription when I reach the point of maybe benefiting from it, but neither of them could write it for filling in another state without risking some blowback. I'll keep all posted on what she comes up with in terms of further research, but she realizes the huge pressure the government and basically everyone is putting on doctors to not prescribe the drug for anything other than the label uses of cancer and HIV, so she doubts there is much research or reports in any of the leading journals on it, but we shall see.
sandyjm
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 3:27 PM

Thanks everyone for continuing this thread...

I know every state is different..,..I'm just looking at my state (AZ) laws and it says "agitation of Alzheimer's disease" is a qualifying medical condition...hmmmm.....

ALZ+  ..in regards to your comment about people objecting to plant based medicines, I understand what you're saying. I have gone to Naturopathic medicine for about 30 years now....sometimes I get the strangest looks and comments when I discuss this health practice ...the vast majority still uses traditional meds...add to that the connotation of marijuana.....and whoa!!!

Ok, will keep reading and researching.

Thanks again, all!

Sandy

alz+
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2016 3:36 PM

Bill - WOW.  Really looking forward to getting further input!

One thing about the Merinol - it seems to work (thanks to the poster was the one whose video Iposted about with his Mom off it and on it.)

It seems to work, so then to get off-label prescription...

Cannabis is a living plant which contains over 300 active synergistic parts to it. By making a synthetic of one part we get a drug which can be marketed and profited from producing. 

I am looking at the whole plant based oil because I do not usually do well on pharmaceuticals. While it seems crazy or false another oil made of the plant called "Simpson's Oil" has anti cancer properties. Either it is working or 1000s of people who have used it are posting fake videos and giving false reports. 

The CBD oil has kept many children with seizure disorders alive and comfortable and this is pushing the medical community to have to look at it.  

I put myself in a category like those children. The man who makes the oil around here has been refining the method for years. Law enforcement raided his place (which was legal under my state's laws) confiscated his equipment and he is facing jail time for ??? He has no money for an attorney so he may be going to jail and is still willing to do make to help some of us who want to try using it to have a more useful life longer. No one has ever been harmed from it. Zero.

Maybe I will also have to move to a more progressive state to get it - if it helps me.

If it does NOT help me, I will be honest about it. Your willingness to just look at it, your wife look at it, is a huge step. 

whatever Margaret Meade said about "never doubt the sincere efforts of a small group of people to create big change". 

I think someone should grow an ALZ specialty strain and call it "Care Giver's Vacation" and it would be one that made the person, happy, easy going, more functional and a deep sleeper. And helps the PWD too!  Ha! 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 10:21 AM

Solicitations of any kind are not allowed on this board.  Your post will likely be removed on Monday.  However, if you or anyone else at your company, can provide any additional information on the use of CBD oil to treat Alzheimer's disease that would be greatly appreciated.
grandmalynda
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 11:29 AM

This discussion has been so helpful and informative, thank you all.  Medical marijuana is legal here in AZ.  I can't wait until I can afford to get the card/license.

--Lynda