RSS Feed Print
hiv dementia
a_step@a_time
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 5:04 AM

II don't understand how there are some dementia people helped by antiviral (HIV dementia or HAD patient) and others are not even given any antiviral therapy to try and help their dementia.

http://www.aidsmap.com/The-role-of-brain-penetrating-drugs-in-ART/page/1731940/

My doctor even refuses to test for herpesviradae beyond hsv 1/2.  Not even a 'peace of mind' test.  This seems odd to me.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 9:43 AM

I am not sure why your doctor is not testing you.

For someone with HIV dementia antiviral treatments would seem like the logical place to start.  If too much damage has already been done to the brain, some researchers are looking at the potential of certain antioxidant treatments--but nothing definitive as of yet.

Lisa428
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:29 PM

Hi

May I suggest calling our 24/7  Toll Free Help line @ 800-272-3900.

They may be able to give you other suggestions and help.

Please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

a_step@a_time
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 5:18 PM

LLane, I test negative for HIV, HSV1, HSV2, but have herpes like symptoms (face itches) and get mouth sores.... like from eating too much arginine.  

All of my doctors under UHC insurance refuse to test for VZV, Mono,..... or ANYthing else.

II have read that antivirals have helped memory probs with Bells Palsey patient so is why I ask doctor for antiviral.  They refuse and refuse my request for additional tests.

HHotline has no answers for me.  Say I don't sound like I'm having memory problems.  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:33 PM

I am starting to get a clearer picture, but probably not close enough.  Have you tested positive for any viral infection? (you have tested negative for some viral infections and other tests the insurance apparently refuses to cover) 

Arginine is not good for a number of viral conditions in part because it further increases the formation of the oxidant peroxynitrite.  Peroxynitrite likely plays a major role in Alzheimer's disease.  This may be the link between certain viral infections and Alzheimer's or lesser memory problems (I should add take all of this with a grain of salt--I am not a doctor, I just do quite a bit of medical research on my own).  Depending on the condition, some form of antiviral and antioxidant treatment may help to partially protect the brain against further memory loss (if that is what is happening).

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:44 PM

Here is a fairly good article on the link between certain viral infections and memory loss.

Cold Sore Virus Linked with Memory Problems

Certain infections, including the one that causes cold sores, may increase the risk of thinking and memory problems in older adults, a new study suggests...

Participants with a higher infection burden were 25 percent more likely to score below average on the cognitive test.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:47 PM

LLane, thanks for the info.  Did you happen to find any info on OTC supplements other than lysine that I can try?  

I know b6 and b12 help with my energy.  But I need more ideas. 

II'm trying to kick sugar habit but I know even things like sunflower seeds are an issue for me.   

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 11:29 PM

I know of OTC supplements for memory loss (panax ginseng and certain essential oils such as clove, lemon balm, bay laurel, and rosemary essential oils via aromatherapy). Ginseng may be of some use against certain viruses. Here is a site that identifies other herbs that may have some anti-viral potential; as well as some cautions.

http://draxe.com/antiviral-herbs/

a_step@a_time
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:41 PM

LLane, I've tried most of those.  May not calendula (which I saw was a cream product).  Still take gingko several times a week.  Know anything about dong qui?  I don't find it recommended anymore.

II'm wondering if there are amino acid therapy practitioners.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 4:10 PM

I just checked for the most recent information about dong quai (Angelica sinensis), but you are right very little there.  Lysine, which you are already using, seems to be the main amino acid used for certain viral infections, but hopefully someone here will know of others.

Angelica archangelica is a herb recommended for dementia that may also have antiviral properties.  Sometimes, it is not necessary to kill the virus but to limit its replication and to prevent the damage it does through oxidation.