RSS Feed Print
Weather fatigue?
a_step@a_time
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:23 AM

DDoes anyone seem to feel more fatigued/exhausted during hot muggy weather days?  (My friends think I'm wimpy and that my weight is all the problem. )  Ugh , feel so sensitive to my environment.

When my parents illness advanced they seemed cold all the time.  I'm wondering if my body will change as this illness progresses.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:33 AM

I have been heat intolerant for 25 years! Lost the ability to sweat and lost tactile sensation in my body, was diagnosed with MS. Then canceled that diagnosis after years.

If you find yourself feeling worn out during hot/humid days and nights, maybe just do your best to stay cool and not worry if it is dementia related. Some people seem to remain physically fit well into the illness. Best practices tell us to stay active and exercise hard but that is not going to happen for me. For whatever reasons I can not get aerobic, and back pain prevents me from doing weights. 

All people are susceptible to overheating. I almost had heatstroke a couple days ago because I was fixated on rock hunting even though a part of me was telling me to get home. My husband came in the car and got me. It was a dangerous situation and shook me up.

wonder when friends started thinking it was helpful to diagnose us and tell us what is wrong with us - as if we could do things and are not because we are faking ??? blow them off.

Immediate rescue is to sit in cool tub of water, also douse head with cool water, drink lots of water - easy to get dehydrated and that can make you miserable and be dangerous.

Good question. Interested in what others have to say about the physical aspects of dementia.

BlueSkies
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:05 AM

Physically I am also heat intolerant and cold intolerant.  Don't deal with extremes well.  It is definitely not my weight as I am 110 lbs. soaking wet, lol.  I am actually wondering if losing weight is not a symptom.  I actually forget to eat a lot of the times.  Why I don't feel hungry to remind me I find strange.  My DH come home from work and finds out I have not eaten anything all day and I am surprised too.  I didn't realize the day went by.  I was never like that before?  I have lost 15 lbs. in the last 6 months.  I am assuming it is from forgetting to eat as my doctor has found no other health issues.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:02 PM

Different parts of the country are going through a heat wave.  It is very important to maintain hydration.  Most of the members here are not that old, but some older adults lose the ability to feel thirst, and thus will not drink more when they get dehydrated.  Thus it is necessary to consciously drink water every two hours or so.  Make sure you are passing urine every few hours, even if you are sweating a lot.  Read about dehydration and seniors on the internet.

Blue Skies, unintended weight loss can appear in some PWDs.  It is important to maintain your nutrition.  If you have a tendency to forget your meals, figure out some reminders for yourself.

Iris L.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 12:50 AM

TThank you for the responses.I think I will try drinking more water as I do have frequent urination.  I do seem to have an intolerance for too cold/too hot.  May be more narrow than past.

Alz+, glad you have someone looking out for you.

Blueskies, my mom lost a lot of weight too. I hoping to have some loss.  I the thought it was maybe coumidin for my mom.. Not sure

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:13 AM

Extremes in heat can zap your strength and cause you to lose electrolytes through sweating. 

Prepare For Extreme Heat | Weather Underground

https://www.wunderground.com/prepare/heat.asp
Weather Underground

Heat is the number one weather-related killer. Heat kills by pushing the human body beyond its limits. In extreme heat and high humidity, evaporation is slowed ...

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:10 PM

I just read a news article about babies and toddlers being killed by being left in cars where temperatures can rise to 130 degrees F on a hot day.  Also, the elderly can succumb to hot cars.  Everyone, be very mindful of the heat and take precautions!

Iris L.

BlueSkies
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:38 PM

Iris,  I now have a blender with the recipe for a great breakfast smoothie sitting in the middle of my kitchen counter, so I can't miss it.  It's the first thing I do now when I get up in the mornings.  It's full of nutrition and taste great. Hopefully my weight will stabilize soon.