RSS Feed Print
True New Ideas Are Welcomed....
JackX
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:11 PM

Both UK and USA have funds available for new ideas in AD research from small group or individuals. The following are two well-known ones. 

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20059/our_application_process/68/our_application_process

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/research-and-grants/funding-opportunities

If you really wish to find out more I believe that are more available.

I encourage anyone and everyone who TRULY believe they have something to show, they should really talk to them. Just another of my 2 cents.

Larrytherunner
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 10:41 AM

Jack, I checked out these websites. It is great that they are looking for researchers to apply for grants. I myself am not a researcher. I am just a patient who has had success with a particular drug that I read about more than a year ago.

l haven't had much success telling my story to various Alzheimer's and dementia organizations. If I get a response, it is a form email thanking me and perhaps asking for a donation.

Last week I emailed a researcher at a major university that has done a lot of research on Alzheimer's, and he gave me a positive response. He said they are working on others drugs to reduce neuroinflammation as a treatment, and he was going to consult his colleagues about montelukast.  I know that researchers get a lot of assistance and information from drug companies, and I am sure those companies are not promoting off patent drugs like montelukast.  It feels good that someone has listened. I hope it goes somewhere.

JackX
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 11:05 AM

Larry,

Glad you have received some positive response. Hope you will be making some real marks in the field. Keep me informed please.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2017 12:19 PM

Unfortunately, the time for the initial proposal has passed for this year, but perhaps some researcher interested in Montelukast for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease might make a proposal next year.

NEW: 2017 June Part the Cloud Translational (PTC) Research for Alzheimer’s Disease Program (March - August 2017)

In its sixth iteration, the Alzheimer's Association is pleased to announce the Part the Cloud Translational Research Funding initiative to increase the research efforts in Phase I and Phase II (Proof of Concept) clinical trials directed towards Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias internationally. This new grant mechanism aims to fill the gap in Alzheimer’s disease drug development by providing support for early phase studies of potential Alzheimer’s therapeutics or validation of biological markers of disease progression.

Applications will be accepted from academic investigators and small companies with lead candidate therapeutic agents that require early stage testing prior to Proof of Concept (POC) Phase 2 or 3 efficacy studies, or with lead therapeutic agents that have already established human safety data and require a small-scale pilot Proof of Mechanism (POM) study to begin proving the scientific concept in humans. This award will support Phase 1 studies or pilot small-scale Phase 2a studies for repurposed drugs in normal individuals or individuals with preclinical or symptomatic Alzheimer’s disease (i.e. early human studies to set the stage for efficacy studies), including single and multiple dose studies to establish safety, brain penetration and/or target engagement and POM in preparation for larger proof of concept trials. In addition, proposals may be considered that are POC to validate biological marker(s) of disease progression in a clinical trial environment. Any proposal must have a clear focus on Alzheimer’s disease and related disorder and be translational in nature. All proposals should clearly and explicitly outline the measure to be investigated, the methods for study, and outcomes. Researchers from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.

Eligibility: Both non-profit and small for-profit agencies are eligible. Open to International Applicants. Small for-profit agencies must submit documentation of net assets and annual earnings during the letter of intent process as a part of the review process. Not-for-profit organizations must submit documentation verifying status during the letter of intent process.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 9:17 AM

Non-Amyloid Treatments: Inflammation, Epigenetics, Regeneration (from Alzforum)

Across the Atlantic, Ludwig Aigner of Paracelsus Medical University in Salzburg, Austria, is taking a different approach to modulating the immune system. He evaluates the approved asthma medication montelukast. This small molecule blocks leukotriene receptors that cause bronchial tubes to constrict. Leukotrienes are inflammatory molecules that white blood cells release during an asthma attack. Because neurons and microglia also express leukotriene receptors, Aigner decided to check if this type of signaling plays a role in brain inflammation. In aged, forgetful rats, six weeks of montelukast treatment shrank microglia, restored the blood-brain barrier, and boosted learning in the Morris water maze to that of young rats. Intriguingly, montelukast also boosted neurogenesis, suggesting some regenerative effects (see Oct 2015 news). Notably, leukotrienes rise during aging, and after stroke or brain damage.

The idea of repurposing montelukast for Alzheimer’s disease is buoyed by its excellent safety record; alas, the tablet formulation poorly enters the bloodstream, with only 63 percent of it becoming bioavailable. Because of this, Aigner and colleagues reformulated the drug in collaboration with IntelGenx Corp., Saint-Laurent, Canada. IntelGenx packaged the drug in a thin film that is placed in the mouth, either against the cheek or under the tongue. The film dissolves, delivering the drug to the bloodstream.

The researchers tested this delivery method in eight healthy volunteers, who took 10 mg montelukast, a common asthma dosage, both in the traditional tablet form and by film. The film resulted in higher absorption, reaching 95 percent in the bloodstream, an increase of 50 percent over the tablet’s bioavailability. This formulation will allow lower dosing, Aigner said in Vienna.​

The drug crossed the blood-brain barrier, an essential feature for treating AD. After three hours, participants had 3.5 ng/ml in their CSF, rising to 4.25 ng/ml by seven hours. This is the pharmacologically active range, Aigner noted. The researchers next plan to do a Phase 2 study in AD patients in Canada, in collaboration with the research organization Consortium of Canadian Centres for Clinical Cognitive Research (C5R). Aigner noted that the oral film represents a new product that can be patented for commercial development.

Larrytherunner
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:18 AM

Lane, thanks for the info on the Alzforum article on non-amyloid treatments. I am glad to hear that Intelgenx is moving to a phase 2 trial with montelukast with a Canadian organization. I am sure they would have preferred to go with a more expensive FDA trial because the US market is much bigger than Canada. While FDA clinical trials are usually completed in less time than in Canada, more expensive FDA trials tend to favor the largest drug companies that have the money to pay for them.

I intend to keep track of the montelukast trial progress in Canada over the next couple of years, while continuing on the start of a second year of taking the drug myself. Meanwhile I need to start checking on Alzforum weekly. It seems that their articles sometimes get overlooked on google searches.

Here is the Alzforum article on non-amyloid treatments.

http://www.alzforum.org/news/conference-coverage/non-amyloid-treatments-inflammation-epigenetics-regeneration 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:28 PM

Thanks, Larry.  Keep us updated on the trial news.  
miz8kate
Posted: Friday, August 4, 2017 5:02 PM

I am in third stage trial for Eli Lilly called "Daybreak".  I would urge everyone who has memory concerns to be tested (for free) to get into any of the trials which are available in your area. I have to report monthly to the center but have been given good tests and helpful advice. I am also receiving the trial\maybe medication. There are 2 out of 3 chances of getting the study drug! I have been taking it for about three months--too early to seem if it is helping but I am certainly stable--I drive, I live alone, I keep my vigorous grandsons about every other weekend at my home!  I have a positive outlook and, I think with all the trials going on, there will soon be a positive cure!  I am 74 years old and not giving up!!
DD disease
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 3:34 PM

Hello new to site ,background have taken over care of my mom 3 years ago. Started her at independent living with her dog. As things progressed moved her to assisted living . (without dog}. Now she is in memory care different facility {getting more expensive each time}. Doctor at facility has taken her off alzheimers meds ,because stated she has dementia / Alzheimers . Seams better with less complications of the meds. It seams none of the medications was working even making things worse. Nementa was the worse. Her, temper has gotten bad lately .She wanted to jump out of moving car and screamed at me saying she wanted to die. Very hard to handle and other people take care of her. I think its time to go back on a anti depressant. In mean time have to take her to orthopedic doctor because she decided to take shower in middle of night and might have hurt her pelvis . It was broke 3 months ago and was not surgically repaired.. Help.
Keep It 100
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 6:11 PM

DD disease wrote:
Hello new to site ,background have taken over care of my mom 3 years ago. Started her at independent living with her dog. As things progressed moved her to assisted living . (without dog}. Now she is in memory care different facility {getting more expensive each time}. Doctor at facility has taken her off alzheimers meds ,because stated she has dementia / Alzheimers . Seams better with less complications of the meds. It seams none of the medications was working even making things worse. Nementa was the worse. Her, temper has gotten bad lately .She wanted to jump out of moving car and screamed at me saying she wanted to die. Very hard to handle and other people take care of her. I think its time to go back on a anti depressant. In mean time have to take her to orthopedic doctor because she decided to take shower in middle of night and might have hurt her pelvis . It was broke 3 months ago and was not surgically repaired.. Help.

Hi DD, clearly you are frustrated and in need of guidance. Sorry you are here, but you have come to a fantastic place for insight and support. Your post should be directed to the caregiver board, and there you will find lots who will have words of wisdom and encouragement. Best of luck to you and your mom.