RSS Feed Print
I thought this was great survey and it shows what people do not know.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2021 9:16 AM

https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/surveys_statistics/health/2021/dementia-diagnosis-perceptions.doi.10.26419-2Fres.00471.001.pdf

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2021 11:59 AM

Excellent.

I would add to the idea people have that "forgetting" is the earliest sign that vision changes, hearing loss, driving skills, reaction times slower, financial problems/math mistakes, falling are often signs that never are considered.

People have told me "My aunt had dementia and she did not behave like you" or "you're just stressed out. You don't have dementia."

I went to ER 2 years ago for smoke inhalation and was instead made to speak to a psychiatrist over a tv set up who put in his report - which followed me to an emergency hospitalization - that I was an attention seeking person with a mental health problem."

To the people who would say they knew someone who had dementia so that is what it looks like on every other person "You must be right and we give up driving and having a life without restrictions for attention."

Perfect timing on this Michael. Hope your new place is heavenly. Thank you for fighting on our behalf for so many years. I love you and you have helped me a lot.