RSS Feed Print
advice: I have cold/flu bad - can I take a cough suppressant?
alz+
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 7:48 PM

I am worn out from snot, chills, headache, body hurts, and cough.

Not supposed to take benadryl, even an aleve stops me from peeing for a few days. I want to sleep tonight - is Nyquil ok? we have a few cough medicines but I don't want to make this into some other thing.

Have done the tea and honey, emergen-c packs, fluids, hot baths and am just exhausted.

I want to be knocked out, can't take this anymore. My nose hurts from wiping it and throat is sore and lungs ache from coughing.

help?!

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 7:58 PM

I can no say about Nyquil....but I can say Melatonin GREAT get you sleep.  It just a hormone you make normally, so it should no affect anything. 

With melatonin more no necessarily better...and can lead agitation and nightmares if more that you need.  I suggest 1-3 mg (I believe the body makes 3 mg).  I always suggest start lowest possible dose...and work up. 

Also, Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime Tea....or just chamomile tea. 

I'd would normally say, sometimes one need weigh the pros cons....because even of benadrl make you worse a week....but you soooo sensitive meds, I'll just say trust what you know youself...you your own best expert you.

<3

alz+
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:07 PM

I have 3mg melatonin. I will try it.

You are always right there when I need you! if I am knocked out and cough up phlegm you think I will wake up to spit it out? don't want to choke on snot.

I am allergic to the sleepy tea, made my tongue swell had to go to ER 30 years ago, came home and had another cup to relax and bingo back to ER. so my tea is ??? a green tea with manuka honey in it.

also have deep chills. got blankets piled up, ice storm happening.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:08 PM

does Vicks work? or is it just greasy? soaked in hot bath with FIR essential oils. helped me drain some more, but I am done with  this and then not able to be done yet.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:10 PM

neighbor just dropped off cannabis butter  Christmas gift cookies!

looks like I will be asleep in 90 minutes! please work please work!

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:30 PM

I swear by Nyquil. Also gargle with salt water multiple times a day real helps.  

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 9:28 PM

When I had influenza last spring I used Mucinex Maximum Strength for the cough.  It was the only over the counter medication that worked.  Mucinex contains guaifenesin 1200 mg and dextromethorphan 60 mg.  Neither should affect cognition when used for a brief time at the recommended dosages.

Nyquil contains dextromethorphan and an antihistamine, which can affect cognition.  

I hope you will be able to get some relief, Alz+.  

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 9:32 PM

With some good fortune, all that you have done is helping you sleep tonight and may have helped provide needed relief.  

I was not expecting to find anything positive about Nyquil, but it appear to be a medication that does not have a negative affect on cognition.

Boustani, who is also a professor of medicine at Indiana University, told Drug Discovery & Development that, when it comes to insomnia medications, “basically any cold medications that make you sleepy might contain anticholinergics [anti-memory--my addition], so stay away from drugs that make you sleepy.” NyQuil is an exception, he said. It makes people sleepy, but does not contain an anti-cholinergic.

The Vicks vapor rub on the chest may help.  The only other thing that I can think of for now is adding ginger to the tea, if possible.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 7:55 AM

We use melatonin the baby, and it help her so much the evenings get sleep....so I hope it help you also.

Vicks can on the chest...the menthol help open passage ways.  I personally use tiger balm.  Some kid just died from vicks...but I did no read the article or know if it the vicks or whether the parents ignored serious illness.

My mom made mustard plasters....where I think she used mustard powder and oatmeal that she'd heat up and put in cloth on my chest when I young.  As a little, I'd get chronic pneumonia...and my mom hated treating it x-rays and antibiotics - so she tried all kinds of natural things me.  I was too young know if it helped. 

Homeopathic stuff may help.  There were a couple remedies I swear by...but the manufacturers changed over time and now I don't recognize anything.  But when mine were littles, I kept belladonna and Kali-Mur on hand seemed help when nothing else did. 

My mom swear by vitamin C...high doses. 

When my body distract me from sleep...like pain or sick...I rub my forehead where 3rd eye...it seems distract me from my body enough let me zone out. 

I hope you got some sleep last night and that this cold passes soon. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 10:16 AM

I only saw Iris's comment now--maybe avoid the Nyquil if possible because it appears that use of the medication over time can affect cognition.  I hope that you are feeling better this morning.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 11:19 AM

try a little steaming to loosen up the crud
SunnyBeBe
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 2:02 PM

When coughing is very severe, it's just impossible to sleep.  The only thing that has always worked for me, when even Nyquil would not work, was as Iris stated above, Mucinex Extra Strength for cough pills. Caution though.  After a few days, I had blurred vision and had to stop it.
Unforgiven
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 5:19 PM

Alz, you're on heart meds, so only your doctor can tell you what you can take safely.  My holistic remedies for a stuffed ose and chest is heat applied to the area, like in a warm bath.  In between baths, apply warmth the the affected areas --the chest and the sinuses, which means a hot cloth on your forehead and cheeks.  I have a full body personal massager that vibrates and has a heat setting.  I use that too.  I've had a cold for two weeks now, that just seems to hang on.

Your body wants you to cough and sniffle, because the mucus provides a barrier to the virus and washes it out of the body.  Try to help it do that.  And best of luck.  I know it's miserable.