RSS Feed Print
A disturbing thought
adii
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:13 PM

It has recently entered my mind that the lack of a cure for Alzheimer's amounts to "genocide."
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:35 PM

I am total sorry for your condition but I totally disagree with your thought. You by far have the freedom to do many things then to just feel sorry for your selves. Those folks that you mention had no choice. But I can guarantee you they fought to the end. Something you should learn from them. 

alz+
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 5:03 PM

adii -

not sure you mean a genocide, as if no one wants to find help for the illness to get rid of people or the disease itself?

We can be certain people are working to find a cure or treatment because it is trillion dollar bonanza for them.

Are you struggling with it? Most of us do struggle until we learn how to work it, like driving your car with some malfunction but you learn how to keep it going.

The whole thing about being born and every living thing dies and goes back to the earth it is still weird no one knows what happens.

One reason I don't worry too much about the illness is I took care of my Dad and he had a rough part where he had to adjust to not driving and staying home, and there were Big Events but he seemed very content.

Please feel free to talk about the genocide idea and how you are doing. You have lots of friends here who need each other for support and to learn how to work the hard parts.

love and courage

Unforgiven
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 1:31 PM

I would not characterize it as genocide since most people who develop dementia are past their reproductive years.  Many caregivers are past their reproductive years as well, although among the youngest, the stresses and duties of caregiving might discourage any further childbearing.  Now, if the lack of a cure has evil intent  we'd be seeing a big push for euthanasia, as the custodial costs of dementia are huge.  I think it is just a darn hard dusease to prevent and cure.

Alz, a cure would mean much profit.  Meanwhile, long term care is a bonanza for that industry.  I know how reasonably I could provide superior custodial care for my mother as opposed to what the SNF charged per month.  So, maybe greed as opposed to genocide.

looking4relief
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:04 PM

I would not say that, it's not the desire of society to pay for so many invalid people on the long term. However pharmaceutical companies are truly evil. And I believe they would rather come up with a treatment you have to pay for everyday than a cure that would rid you of an illness for good. Because it's more lucrative. Once I came across a book about a pharmaceutical conspiracies and allergy treatments, how they had supposedly found a cure to 'reset' your immune system and hid it. We don't know. But I think if they could make you pay for a treatment everyday to keep your brain at the same stage of the illness, or to slow down neurodegeneration significantly they would. 

looking4relief
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:15 PM

Well at the same time they help people survive illnesses to be fair.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:50 PM

I know so many hate Pharma and I am probably not crazy about them. But you really give them a bad rap when you don’t understand all of it. The cost of bringing a drug to market, The money they need to make to make up for the previous losses and the shareholders. I personally had the opportunity to have a private tour of one of the large companies and see each step of the process.  You would not believe how complex it was to make a drug. It had to go thru so may process and stages that I could not believe it. It took 6 months to make a small batch which was unbelievable when you saw the small size it made and how much real-estate it took to make this. I am not saying they are great folks but this is a business and no one gives things away cheap. If they do then they are no longer in business. I have squeezed profits out of companies and they went out of business. You can only bleed them so much. Its very easy to sit back and judge when you do not know it all. 

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:50 PM

Is it true that we here in the USA pay more for our drugs? That would not seem fair.
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 12:42 AM

American companies do much of the research and development for new drugs.  Once they are on the market, other countries can try to duplicate or put out a generic version.  Meaning, they don't have all the expenses American companies have. 

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 7:17 AM

It gets better then that Iris. Once they think they have a drug it does not need to go thru so much testing in other countries and they usually get them first. By the time we have them here many have already had used them. I think it has to do with our laws.  But not sure anymore.
BadMoonRising
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 10:36 AM

We live in the most capitalistic nation in the world. Pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, pharmacy benefit management companies, HMOs, etc. have a vested interest in getting the most bang for their buck. And not to be forgotten, the corporate lobbyists who bribe members of Congress to pass bills that actually hurt their constituents.  An excellent example of the latter is the law that prohibits Medicare from negotiating drug prices.The more advanced countries negotiate on their citizens' behalf. So, yes, those living in the U.S. pay a lot more than many countries.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 12:10 PM

Yea for capitalism!  My immigrant grandparents who arrived at Ellis Island poor, have produced many thriving grandchildren and great-grandchildren, thanks to capitalism.  No one is saying our system is perfect.  But we do have the ability to make changes in our lives and living standards.  I see this when I travel to other countries.

Iris