RSS Feed Print
I need to get evaluated
RH909
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 10:29 PM

I'm only 33, but I think there is good chance that I have early-onset Alzheimer's.  It runs pretty heavily on both sides of my family...and dementia is pretty much my entire families biggest fears (along with severely debilitating strokes since those also run pretty strong I'm my family).

For the past 5 years or so, my short term memory has become terrible.  I'll forget very important things, then when I am reminded of them, I have no recollection of them whatsoever.  Then out of nowhere, sometimes after a couple of years, I remember the topic completely, clear as a bell.  During this 5 year periods, I have also had days of a mental status that I cannot define.  I'm used to battling depression/dysthymia episodes, I've been dealing with them since I was 16, and this had some similar traits, yet felt completely different (I had originally thought it was symptoms of a bi-polor or Cyclothymia.  Sometimes it would almost like a natural high feeling, like my worries had be lifted, other times it was just a fog...the only way to describe the fog, was like a sense of being completely confused, but without the actual confusion (if that makes since).  In the past month and a half, I have had to such episodes, but with actual confusion...

The first one was I was leaving a shopping center, and I started tripping out about how all of the stores were different.  I had that kind of foggy confused feeling (I knew I was in the same city and all, but still confused) and couldn't wrap my head around how quickly the stores had changed to different companies.  It probably took me an hour to realise that I was confusing it with a shopping center a few miles away.

My next foggy moment was today. I was driving on surface streets and came upon an intersection that was off (blinking red all ways), this is actually pretty normal for this intersection and I had no problems with it...but when I came upon the next intersection (me making a left at a 3 way intersection), I could have SWORN 100% that it was also blinking red all ways.  A couple of cars passed each direction  (of what I THOUGHT) was them being out of turn, I then got mad (but didn't act on it) and then took (again, what I THOUGHT) was my turn, and almost got hit by 3 cars.  When I looked at the lights in my rear view mirror, it was obvious that it was working normally the whole time.  Despite what my eyes saw, my brain registered it just like the blinking lights from just a minute earlier, but seeing it in my mirror, I could see them how they were.

This event from earlier today, really makes me concerned that my current mental issues are something with my brain itself.  If anyone with some insight to similar feelings/events and whether they got evaluated on them, then I would love to hear from you.  And if anyone knows any place I can get ahold of for an evaluation near me, that would be wonderful.  I'm in Southern California in the Inland Empire region, so anywhere between L.A. and Indio and between Barstow and Lake Elsinore would be okay to travel to regularly.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 9:21 AM

A diagnosis following current correct protocol is what you want. ALZ.org one this page, top right will get you started. You can find more online.

It is not easy to find a Dr who is trained and experienced to do this. Are you near any of the major facilities that do this?

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 10:30 AM

Welcome, RH.  Loma Linda Medical Center has a reputable Memory Center.  You can have your own doctor begin the evaluation.  There are many dementia mimics.

Iris L.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 11:22 AM

I highly recommend to get all kind of testing ASAP. I would also get all kind of insurance before going down that road. You can always cancel it. High life insurance, not working insurrance what ever that is called and insurance to cover you for a AL

4D
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2019 1:49 PM

I agree with everyone that has posted. From your post it seems you need a complete evaluation. 

Have you recently changed medicine or stopped taking any medications? 

Have you had any major changes in your life in the past couple of months (ie: like losing a loved one, losing a job, divorce, etc.)

There are many things that can cause what you have described. But whatever you do get evaluated as soon as possible. You could be having early onset symptoms or you could be having TIA's which are mini Strokes. This could lead to major strokes. 

Wish you luck in finding out what is going on with you. It can be very scary and frustrating. 

looking4relief
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 6:08 AM

I'm not sure how it works there but neuropsychologists are qualified to test you for memory issues from degenerative disorders altought it's quite expensive. I will get more like a pre screening test first.
KatherineG
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:05 AM

I am sorry to read about your concerns. They are very real and must be frightening to you, especially at your age. I am familiar with your description of cognitive confusion in the shopping center and at the intersection. Mine started when I was 39, or that is when I experienced my first stroke while driving with my children in the car. You do not mention physical symptoms and I wonder if you have light-headedness, visual changes, pain, or a feeling being in an elevator and the floor dropping out from under you (syncope) - or any symptoms that I had related to strokes. 

My "tolerable" partial vascular seizures have different symptoms than my "bad"clonic-tonic seizures. I have vascular malformations and aneurysm that is now a dissecting carotid artery. There is another type of seizure that I experience, which is not convulsive. I become aware of lights. Sounds are muffled as if I am in a vacuum tunnel. My surroundings shift. My strokes and seizures are vascular events that effect my brain. I am not on medications and I am very aware of my cognitive abilities on a daily basis.

I suggest that you have someone checkover your neuromuscular system to see if something is causing your symptoms and not just your memory.

I hope this helps!

eaglemom
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2020 8:35 AM

RH909 I'm glad that you are seeking some answers. Your family history is quite involved in medical issues and it is time for you to get some answers. I'm sorry your here, but hopefully we can at least point you in the right direction. Let me say you can call the ALZ Assoc 24/7 at 800-272-3900. They can possibly possibly help point you in a correct direction.

As for this trouble you've had, did you share that with your PCP? I think it would be good for you to find a neurologist and have a full bank of testing completed. Do not think one or two appointments will complete all of the testing. It takes time and what one test reveals then points you to what the next step will be. 

I have no recommendations of facilities, but again ask your PCP? I applaud you for wanting to get this found out. Seek some answers and then you'll know.

eagle