RSS Feed Print
Pineal gland Melatonin and Insomnia related to Alzheimer's
alz+
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 9:14 PM

My sleep patterns are way off kilter again. Have been listening to radio interviews on the Pineal Gland and consciousness, that led to search for Pineal Gland and ALZ. Lots of articles out there about the loss of melatonin production by Pineal Gland. The supplement (NOT from animals - be sure to check) seems harmless and can be used for months at a time to induce sleep. 
Claims it resets circadian rhythms  and is an antioxidant. Might try it tonight although I ended up exhausted today and sleep hours in late afternoon. 
Anyone have luck with Melatonin supplements? 
.................................................................................. 

J Pineal Res. 2005 Apr;38(3):145-52. 

The human pineal gland and melatonin in aging and Alzheimer's disease.

Abstract

The pineal gland is a central structure in the circadian system which produces melatonin under the control of the central clock, the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN). The SCN and the output of the pineal gland, i.e. melatonin, are synchronized to the 24-hr day by environmental light, received by the retina and transmitted to the SCN via the retinohypothalamic tract. Melatonin not only plays an important role in the regulation of circadian rhythms, but also acts as antioxidant and neuroprotector that may be of importance in aging and Alzheimer's disease (AD). Circadian disorders, such as sleep-wake cycle disturbances, are associated with aging, and even more pronounced in AD. Many studies have reported disrupted melatonin production and rhythms in aging and in AD that, as we showed, are taking place as early as in the very first preclinical AD stages (neuropathological Braak stage I-II). Degeneration of the retina-SCN-pineal axis may underlie these changes. Our recent studies indicate that a dysfunction of the sympathetic regulation of pineal melatonin synthesis by the SCN is responsible for melatonin changes during the early AD stages. Reactivation of the circadian system (retina-SCN-pineal pathway) by means of light therapy and melatonin supplementation, to restore the circadian rhythm and to relieve the clinical circadian disturbances, has shown promising positive results. 

PMID:15725334 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:02 AM

I've not used Melatonin in years, when I was raising my 4 children. What works for me now when I need to get to sleep, but am wide awake, is a small glass of red wine. Works every time.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:08 AM

If not from animals then from where???
alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:34 AM

jfkoc wrote:
If not from animals then from where???

The new stuff is made from a special soy bean I think. although most info I found state is is safe, there might be pharmaceutical grade available. because vitamins /supplements are not regulated, differences in product quality might vary. I never knew there was so much info about it but can say I have taken it for sleep in past and sometimes it worked and sometimes did not. That may be a difference in brand or dosage.

The following link at Mayo had a huge amount of data and I copied some of it, but if someone found a good product to give them (or give to someone who is  up at night) and it works that would be really wonderful.

It is available at any drug store, I use www.VitaCost.com because of free shipping and good information and range of products.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/melatonin/background/hrb-20059770

click on EVIDENCE PAGE

Evidence

These uses have been tested in humans or animals.  Safety and effectiveness have not always been proven.  Some of these conditions are potentially serious, and should be evaluated by a qualified healthcare provider.

Key to grades

AStrong scientific evidence for this useBGood scientific evidence for this useCUnclear scientific evidence for this useDFair scientific evidence against this use (it may not work)FStrong scientific evidence against this use (it likely does not work)

Grading rationale

Evidence grade Condition to which grade level applies B

Delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS)

Delayed sleep phase syndrome is a condition that results in delayed sleep onset despite normal sleep patterns and duration. Studies report that melatonin may help improve the amount of time it takes to fall asleep. More research is needed before further conclusions can be made. B B

Insomnia (elderly)

The production and elimination of melatonin from the body may be lower in older people with insomnia. Several human studies report that supplementing with melatonin may improve insomnia in the elderly. More research is needed before further conclusions can be made.

C

Alzheimer's disease/ cognitive decline

Limited research has looked at the effects of melatonin on cognitive disorders. Some studies suggest a possible benefit. In elderly people with mild cognitive impairment, a combination treatment containing melatonin improved cognitive function scores and sense of smell, as well as speech fluency. More well-designed trials are needed before a conclusion can be made. C

Anti-inflammatory

According to limited human research, melatonin may be an effective anti-inflammatory; however, results are conflicting. Well-designed clinical trials are needed before a conclusion can be made. C

Benzodiazepine withdrawal

A small amount of research has looked at the use of melatonin to assist with withdrawal from benzodiazepines (antianxiety drugs) such as diazepam (Valium®) or lorazepam (Ativan®). Melatonin has been studied for this purpose in people with schizophrenia. Although early results are promising, further research is needed before a firm conclusion can be reached.

Circadian rhythm sleep disorders (people with and without vision problems)

In people with vision problems, light and dark signals are not received by the eye to trigger melatonin release and sleep. Some studies found inconclusive results for melatonin use in visually impaired children with sleep disorders. Others reported improvement in the time it takes to fall asleep and sleep duration in visually impaired people. Currently, research suggests that melatonin given in the evening may correct circadian rhythm (the internal body clock). Further research is needed before a conclusion can be made.

Memory

Early research suggests that melatonin may improve memory in certain stressful situations. Further research is required before a conclusion can be made.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:23 PM

I have been using 3mg melatonin along with morning light therapy to treat my delayed sleep phase disorder.  Melatonin does not act as a sleep aide, so the effect is not immediate.  But I am sleeping better. 

My neurologist had suggested that I use L-theanine as a cognitive aide to improve executive functioning.  L-theanine is a component of green tea and is supposed to help in relaxation.  I found a combination melatonin-L-theanine (200mg) capsule which I am using.

I had not given a thought to where the melatonin was made.  I'll have to check into this.

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:59 PM

I will look for the supplement you are taking, thanks for mentioning that.

All I can find on the source for supplements is that YEARS AGO it was derived from animal pineal glands and they sometimes contained a virus, which was why it is now extracted from man made materials.

I don't like to swallow pills tablets or capsules but reading again about Turmeric and I have the better version of that (Curcumin) so will start that again too. Also an essential oil from the Turmeric flower mentioned as having regenerative neuron .abilities, to stimulate neuron growth in brains.

Need to clean out all my old supplements.

alz+
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 3:35 AM

Taking VitaCost QUICK DOTS sub-lingual 1 mg melatonin and am falling asleep as I write, 30 minutes after it dissolved.

found melatonin may also help TARDIVE DYSKENSIA and my tongue is also asleep for first time in years.

sweet dreams, good night!

llee08032
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 7:14 AM

found melatonin may also help TARDIVE DYSKENSIA and my tongue is also asleep for first time in years.

I work with persons who have Tardive Dyskinesia side effects of certain medications. I will pull up some research and pass it on to the psychiatrists.

Thank you alz+!

alz+
Posted: Friday, October 3, 2014 10:27 AM

llee -

when researching melatonin I came across one mention of it helping TD but it said "results inconclusive."

when I found the bottle of melatonin in a box by my bed, the 1 mg sub-linguals I took it for sleep. And I fell sleep while writing I was taking it! Slept about 6 hours.

Then up later to let our dog outside and noticed my tongue was relaxed and made the connection.

If it helps reduce a movement even 25% that is more than any other pill. My dentist made me a mouth-guard and that stops the movements pretty well too, plus keeps my tongue from getting injured rubbing on teeth.

Please share with anyone - both cheap non toxic means to maybe get relief.

http://www.pharmacologyweekly.com/articles/melatonin-effective-treatment-tardive-dyskinesia-TD-antipsychotics-AIMS

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11695951