RSS Feed Print
Productive activities?
Kammerc2
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:21 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding productive at home activities for someone with middle stage dementia that can be done while a caregiver is there?
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:52 PM

A lot will depend on the person and their interest. 

aod326
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2020 2:19 PM

I was nervous about activities for my DH as he's a fit 59 and not previously interested in anything like puzzles.  He is in mid-late stage.  We've found he likes to "read" the newspaper with someone - a bit like reading books with toddlers, asking what they see, what the story is about.  He likes playing Boggle, even though the words are pretty much nonsense.  He was raised catholic but was at least agnostic, if not atheist, all the 20 years I'd known him.  However, he suddenly started to want to go to church a few months ago and I bought him a book of daily bible verses/motivations.  The caregiver goes through a couple of those every day.  Whilst not activities, that encourages more discussion.

Good luck finding something that works for your LO.

Mom4All
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:01 PM

I need help with this too, but these are the things that work for my mom:
Folding laundry
Mending clothes
Listening to favorite Music
Having the same conversations as last time about favorite memories and people from the past
Peeling vegetables to prepare for cooking dinner (last night Mom prepared the apples for an apple crisp!
Taking knots out of things
Adult coloring books

You could post this in the caregivers forum too. I'd love to see the responses.

Lifesaver350
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 6:49 PM

Hello.. My name is Susan & I'm new here. 

I wanted to thank you for your share. My 

Mother in law has not yet been diagnosed

But I definitely have my hands full & I 

Think what you shared will be very helpful.

Thank you