RSS Feed Print
I'm back for a little while
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 4:43 PM

I had been feeling drained and exhausted, and was not able to perform my daily activities, let alone handling projects.  My most important project was gathering the paperwork to present to my accountant for my 2019 taxes.  I finally accomplished this project this morning.  Whew!  

Now a little bit of pressure is off me.  I still have many other projects to address.  My next big project will be preparing to retake my driver's license written test.  But I cannot even call the DMV for an appointment until after August 15th.  Meanwhile I deal with my many medical issues.  My state had been opening up, now is closing again.  It doesn't matter to me, I will still be sheltering in place.  I can't risk getting sick from the Corona virus!

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:10 PM

Glad to hear you are doing a little bit better. 

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:36 AM

Thanks, Michael. I still feel weak.  One of my cruise ships is offering free cruises out of San Diego but I don't even have the strength to drive across town, let alone drive to San Diego.  I think my cruising days are over. 

Iris

zauberflote
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 2:24 PM

Iris, it's so good to see you back, for however long you stay! I'm sorry all these administrative tasks are eating you up, and especially that you don't feel able to take a relaxing little cruise. I think of you often.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 11:22 PM

Zauberflote, thanks for the encouragement!  

Iris 

BethL
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:39 AM

Iris, you are such a good person! You have helped so many people here. I am grateful for your voice of reason and may you have peace and hope. God bless you, Iris, and thank you.
Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:55 AM

Hello Dear Iris. I get it; overload.  Glad to hear that you are finally rid of all the tax folderol;  that can be overwhelmingly frustrating.  Couple that with the pandemic and the other dreadful news, it really is too much of too much.

I have taken to watching only a bit of local news in the a.m., and watching a bit of BBC World News; they are much easier to watch and one gets to hear about other countries; it is sometimes interesting.  It is toxic for me to watch too much news that keeps going on and on and on rehashing.

We too are staying isolated.  We get groceries by auto pickup; no exposure.  Trying to stay safe as much as possible and using good practices as much as can be.

Have to say, my hair sure could use a good cut; haven't had one since December; omigosh! But it is just hair and not worth taking a risk to go to a salon.  Not going to do it.

Did you hear all the fireworks going off on the 4th down where you are?   I sure could hear a big professional type show going off in the distance but could not figure out from where. Also heard a lot of illegal fireworks in the distance too. 

So; here I am; twiddling my thumbs, listening to my hair grow.  Ha!  Actually thankful for my laptop, my Kindle books, Netflix, PBS, crossword puzzles, our telephone, for grocery pickup and delivery from CostCo. and so much more, BUT especially thankful for all the good people here.

Big hug being sent up the 91 and down the 605 to you, Iris,  got  to catch it when it knocks on your  door,

J.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:53 PM

Thanks, BethL, I always hope I can help others with my experiences.

Jo C, I had my first Covid-19-era medical appointment.  It wasn't horrible, because it was at a small private office of chronic rheumatology patients.  I am resisting going to a general medical office with younger patients, many of whom will be coughing from colds and seasonal flu.  I feel like the doctors have nothing new for me, I just need my prescriptions.  

For the most part, I am fairly comfortable staying home.  I miss my senior classes and activities, of course.  And I miss having the day be quieter because most people were at work away from home.  

The fireworks were out-of-control here!  Non-stop for hours on the 4th!  Fortunately, they have calmed down after the 5th.  My cats are no longer traumatized.  Thanks for the hug, Jo C.  A big hug back to you!  

Iris

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 12:27 AM

Thank you, what a dear you are, Iris.  The poor cats.; I can imagine how frightening for them,   Our son and DIL have four small rescue dogs and the dogs are so traumatized during the fireworks. One has to be slighty sedated as she just cannot bear the sounds even if she is held and cuddled which she usually loves.  All of their rescues had been badly mistreated dogs; they ordinarily are very happy little beings, but they do not tolerate the fearful firework soounds.

I know what you mean about going into a medical office.  Do not want to have to do that.  We have a physician who went from regular to boutique practice some time ago.  We had been with him for quite a long time and he is excellent, so we went ahead and joined the practice for which we have to pay a fee each year.

However, never a packed waiting room,  usually no one or just one or two others. During the pandemic however, no one sits in the  waiting room at all.  We get right in, can get same day appt. if it is something needing quicker attention, and usually always within 24 hours for all else.

Husband had to go in about a month ago.  He wore his mask and also put on gloves.  The physician and all staff were wearing masks, gloves and other PPE as necessary.  Each room cleaned after each patient.  Lots of work for them, but it is certainly appreciated.  They have managed to see very few patients each day; usually only four.

What scares me is the dentist's office.  DHs temporary crown fell off of his root canal tooth.  He had to go in.  It was early days in the pandemic.  He wore old shoes he could leave outside when he got home, wore long sleeves and had my knee length black salon coat on over his clothes, wore gloves and had a mask until the work started. Dentist and staff of course masked and face shielded and gloved. Clean the room and chair after each patient, but still . . . . all those open mouths and aerosolized droplets hanging in the air - EEEK!  DH stepped into the laundry room from the garage, put his clothes in the washer right away, washed his hands and then went upstairs and took a shower.       We sure did count down 14 days after that. We have cancelled our routine cleanings and routine exams.

Overall, we are doing only necessary appointments.  You would have laughed at me.  We had to get our Trust, Wills, DPOAs, Advance Directives and HIPAA Waivers done.   Long overdue.   The attorney was so thoughtful and kind.   We did not want to go into his big office building - in Los Alamitos off the 405, too much exposure as well as crowded elevator necessity.

So; he sent us a questionaire with all the information he would need which we answered and emailed back to him.  Then we had a long conference on the phone where questions were asked and he explained everything.  Then we got a draft of all documents which we went over. Then another conference call with more input and questions answered.  He had come highly recommended.

Time came for signing final documents.  We did not want to go into the office of course, so he voluntered to come to the house.  We did not want that as it would be him and we would also need a witness.   So, that kind man actually said yes when we asked if we could sign at our car. He chuckled and said it was the first time, but okay.   He came down to the car with his secretary who was a witness; everyone masked and gloved and kept distance except when handing a document through the window at arms length.  Went well.  Cannot believe we are doing things like that.

Are you doing car pick up for groceries?  Ralph's and Vons as well as some others are doing that at some stores.  Works really well and is a relief not to have to go inside shopping amidst people who are not good at best practices with masks not covering noses, etc.  There are some things that we get from CostCo; we order online and then pay a fee for delivery.  So all in all, we are managing.  Even Macy's and Nordstroms have curb pickup and mail order.  I just got some foundation makeup mailed to me and did not get charged for the delivery.   Really appreciated.  Of course WalMart and Target are doing curb pickup; CVS is supposedly delivering prescriptions and one can do shopping and prescriptions as a pickup at the drive-in window at Walgreens Drugstore.  So nice.

Like you, I too am okay with the isolation; I was surprised how easily we seemed to adapt.  The day we signed our legal papers, the weather was lovely.   After signing, we drove to Seal Beach at the ocean and parked the car against the sand.  Really a lovely day.  We had no people near us; everyone was far down the beach near the water.  We did not stay long.  When we left, we drove through the small town area backs toward the freeway and there were groups of people standing and talking, some in a line at the ice cream shop, others sitting and talking with no distancing. Not a single person was wearing a mask!   It was a bit startling to see that as it was a lot of people of a mature age, not kids. 

So; it is a very strange time which has led me to have wild, wild dreams and sometimes not sleeping as well as I had been; not consciously worried, so that is when I decided not to watch too much news.  Still having strange dreams but they are not upsetting, it is like going to the movies each night.

Take good care dear Iris, and only sweet dreams are wished for you,

J.